Dumbo: No Turning Around?

While riding Dumbo, my brother sat in the elephant in front of me. When he turned around (still fully seated) to get a picture, he got yelled at to face forward! He has turned around on other (non-thrill) rides with no upset. Does anyone know the reason for the rule?
    Drop another coin in slot and I will tell you more.

• Singing Drinker

Re: Dumbo: No Turning Around?

I've been told to "remain seated and face forward" please on a few rides. May be a new internal initiative, may be someone's personal quest to enforce rules as disseminated to Cast, *shrug*

Not unheard of, though. If there's *any* way to get injured during a standard Dumbo ride, sitting facing in a contorted position is probably the first step.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

•   
    • Minion

Hmmm. When I rode the Dumbo ride with friends, the friend that was in the elephant in front of me turned around several times to get photos, and nobody ever said anything. I was at DCA with friends again on Friday and I turned around on Triton's Carousel once or twice, and nobody said a word. I didn't even know there was a prohibition on turning around on the non-thrill rides, to be honest.

I was on Alice over the weekend and the CM mentioned to us to face forward at all times before leaving. I was caught off guard as I never heard that before.

• The "goat trick" RULES!!!

My GUESS is that this is a rule (for safety) that is not always enforced. Kind of like when on a dark ride and someone is using their flash. Sometimes they're told to stop (NO FLASH PHOTOGRAPHY, PLEASE) and sometimes they aren't

I work at a ride where some of the rules we have to follow (for safety reasons) are that all bags must be placed on the floor and ride operators must give a thumbs up when ready for dispatch AND KEEP THE THUMBS UP til all movement has stopped at the station. Rules such as this sometimes go unenforced until "higher ups" come around and start to take disciplinary action.

So, my GUESS, is that the rule has always been there and either the ride operator was actually doing their full job, or they may have been training someone and showing what they're supposed to do, or there was some upper management walking around.

Let me answer this cus I am an attractions cast member and know a few people who work Fantasyland Attractions. The attractions cast members who are working dumbo are below. From the angel below where they are at, when a guest turns around (especially small children) when they turn around it looks like the guest is standing on the ride when seen from the CMs perspective from down below. And if they feel like someone is not properly seated while the ride is in motion, they have to hit the Emergency Stop which powers down the attraction, then they have to deal with those guest who may or may not have been standing up. Managers have to show up cus the attraction is down and the CMs have to explain why they hit the E-stop, then they have to kick everyone out of the ride cus they have to power up the attraction and that cannot be done with guest on board, once it is powered up it has to complete one cycle without guest before guest can start to ride again....... So for the love of Mickey please always remain seated with your hands arms feet and legs im inside the vehicle at all times.

• Minion

I'm a ex Fantasyland CM, specifically the classics, like Pan, Snow, Dumbo, etc. Turning around to take pictures or whatever while the ride is in motion is considered a safety issue. Simple as that.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• Minion

Years ago while riding Thunder Mt., my brother was sitting in front of my mom and me. As we were making our way up the second lift hill, he turned his head around to talk to us. Voice on the PA came up telling him to face forward.

• A Suitcase & A Dream

It's a safety rule that all guests are to remain facing forward while the ride is in motion.

• The doctor is in

In the past I have been told to face forward on Thunder Mountain, Splash Mountain, and Pirates. It's a basic safety rule. It just depends on if the CMs on duty enforce the rule. I have been on many rides where people were turning around and no one issued a warning.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

My guess it depends on who's the ride operator or they are getting stricter on safety rules (OSHA anyone?). I've turned around many times before and have never been told to face forward.