Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

• Former Churro Jockey

Re: FIX ugly Space Mountain

Wow, I've never experienced the going backward effect before in my life, and I've been going there since 1981. I wonder why it doesn't work for me...

Oh, and I believe that OSHA and DOSH are two seperate things. When I worked in Outdoor Vending, we had to deal with OSHA a lot, so my impression was that OSHA had to do with dining locations. For example, right as I was leaving Disney there was a big issue with OSHA suddenly mandating that every ODV wagon have a sink with running water available for some bizzare reason. We never dealt with DOSH, which I believe has to do more with mechanical issues as well as the saftey of mechanics and ride operators and things like that.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Special Agent

OSHA has been around for awhile but Cal/OSHA aka DOSH has just recently (within the last ten years) been given oversight of theme parks. The mandate for hot water at food locations is a mandate of the Orange County Health Dept.

I believe construction on the handrails on the outside of Space Mountain has already started as construction has been visible from Main Street for awhile, but I could be wrong.

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    OSHA has been around for awhile but Cal/OSHA aka DOSH has just recently (within the last ten years) been given oversight of theme parks. The mandate for hot water at food locations is a mandate of the Orange County Health Dept.

I believe construction on the handrails on the outside of Space Mountain has already started as construction has been visible from Main Street for awhile, but I could be wrong.
    Thanks for the info! So are OSHA and Cal/OSHA the same thing or two different things?
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Thanks for the info! So are OSHA and Cal/OSHA the same thing or two different things?
    That's a good question really. OSHA is the federal agency and cal/OSHA is the state agency. I am not really sure how the division of duties work, but considering this is the government we are talking about, I am sure there is a large overlap in responsibility.

The one thing to remember though is that Cal/OSHA is responsible for the oversight of theme park rides specifically in California. That was a state mandated requirement that doesn't exist at the federal level (and doesn't apply to Florida).

• Done with MC.

To those of us that are mechanically inclined, the "spinny thing" is artistic and interesting to watch.
    I for one would miss it.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    To those of us that are mechanically inclined, the "spinny thing" is artistic and interesting to watch.
    I for one would miss it.
    It's kinda like the Disney equivalent of awful modern "art" they put in public places that Andy Rooney ranted about on 60 Minutes.

To me, it looks like the ugly carcass of the old rocket ride and serves almost no purpose but to turn and play the Rocketeer theme almost in mockery, as the replacement rocket ride spins around in a pit across the way and Rocketeer himself turns popcorn.

But I digress.

• Minion

so i went on space mt last nite. and I didn't feel the backwards part. i think it's broken. my friend too. he said he didn't feel it but used to back then. so it's broken.

some people say they never felt it at all, like ever. some people say it still works.
    but personally, it's broken.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post
    so i went on space mt last nite. and I didn't feel the backwards part. i think it's broken. my friend too. he said he didn't feel it but used to back then. so it's broken.

some people say they never felt it at all, like ever. some people say it still works.
    "Feeling" it is subjective, and there's a pretty safe observational and objective way to determine whether it was working:

Did the lights in the brake tunnel activate and pulse?

Did the train slow down?
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    The "ugly spinny thing above the peoplemover" has been there since the Rocket Rods refurb, and has only worked sporadically since opening. They pared element after element of the "show" off of it, been years since I saw it do anything at all. Didn't know they still played the music, honestly.
    The "Observatron" (actually just the shell of the Rocket Rods) should activate every 15 minutes on the 15, half, 45 and hour. I don't see the parks that much but as far as I am aware it should be working.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Trevor View Post
    The "Observatron" (actually just the shell of the Rocket Rods) should activate every 15 minutes on the 15, half, 45 and hour. I don't see the parks that much but as far as I am aware it should be working.
    Probably should have said 'worked completely' - I've had frequent experiences where the music would start blasting over the area while the observatron itself only rotated fitfully or not at all.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

According to today's (12/6) Micechat update, the exterior of SM will be cleaned before Christmas.

I think they may have updated lighting/effects within the station and the ride. I actually noticed the backwards effect in the end tunnel.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by DannyLand View Post

There's no backwards part to "feel" per se...it's nothing physical. It's all in your head. It most likely doesn't work for everyone depending on how your mind works. All it is is lights moving forward as you slow down, which simply gives the *impression* that you're moving backwards. Then you turn into the station and you realize it was just psychological. This "effect" (in reality just "moving" lights) occurs right after the on-ride photo flash. If you didn't feel it, it's most likely because you know you're going forward. For some people with more sensitivity to projected motion and simulation, it's more effective.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

The intended effect apparently is that you are supposed to feel like you are slowing down rapidly like coming out of warp. If you felt like you were going backward, it wasn't working!

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    According to today's (12/6) Micechat update, the exterior of SM will be cleaned before Christmas.

I have a great idea. Why don't they just paint SM baby poo brown and that way the dirt won't show up.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast