Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Re: New disabled pass

Unfortunately we had to cancel our trip My son has been in a crisis with his behaviors (aggression and meltdowns). He is very severely affected by his autism, he has very low verbal skills and does not do well with change.

I am hoping Disneyland will tailor their new program to allow kids like my son to access the park. My son is only able to visit the park for 1-2 hours at a time. Our trips are a 8 hour drive for us and we end up staying 5 nights while there. Due to his need for quiet and space, we always rent a 2 room suite so he can have a quiet area. Our trips usually run us $2,000 for tickets and hotel fees. We stay at Park Vue Inn and just walk across the street to get to the park. We have been going to the park for years (usually every other year or more often).

I could write a book explaining to everyone how many years it took my son to master the park. He truly loves all things Disney and lights up while there. The crowds overwhelm him and it makes it hard to be in the park for very long before he has a meltdown. There are some people that would ask why we even go. This is the one thing my son truly loves. It certainly isn't easy to be in Disneyland with my 19 year old severely disabled son. When he gets overwhelmed he attacks me. Our lives have been horrible since he entered puberty 8 years ago. I am tired and don't know how I get through each day in my home. I truly do not think I could take a snicker or rude comment from someone while there.

I am afraid I am not making much sense here. I've been up since 12:30 with my son. Sleep deprivation has a way of wrecking havoc on my ability to think clearly.

Now I'm waxing nostalgic...more pics of my son Name:  395311_365490786796867_477041739_n.jpg
Views: 627
Size:  130.4 KBName:  431527_365490686796877_1821111253_n.jpg
Views: 631
Size:  127.3 KB

That sounds like quite a rough time. Are there any resources to help you? Respite care, support groups, somebody to come to your home for a bit so you can relax or run errands or whatever?

I hope his crisis passes soon.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    That sounds like quite a rough time. Are there any resources to help you? Respite care, support groups, somebody to come to your home for a bit so you can relax or run errands or whatever?

I hope his crisis passes soon.
    Thank you so much for your kind words. We do have respite which helps tremendously. We get calls to come home when he gets out of hand, so it's often interrupted. Luckily I have a supportive husband so I am able to get time to refresh.

I am disappointed that we aren't able to go to Disneyland. I am thankful that this crisis didn't occur AFTER we drove 8 hours and bought tickets!

Indeed! Hopefully you will all be able to take the trip soon.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• The doctor is in

That's unfortunate you had to cancel your trip. Hopefully you will be able to reschedule.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

Thank you so much, I hope we are able to reschedule as well.

<3

Question, when were you planning to visit DL with your son? You said you were getting ready to go around Thanksgiving time, but given the crowds this time of year wouldn't it make sense to take him during a less crowded time of the year since you said he doesn't do well with crowds? Kinda seems like that's not the best plan for a successful trip with him. Just an observation.

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by Nikefutbolero View Post
    Question, when were you planning to visit DL with your son? You said you were getting ready to go around Thanksgiving time, but given the crowds this time of year wouldn't it make sense to take him during a less crowded time of the year since you said he doesn't do well with crowds? Kinda seems like that's not the best plan for a successful trip with him. Just an observation.
    I agree. I feel like going during a less busy time of year would be a lot easier for all of you to manage.

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    I agree. I feel like going during a less busy time of year would be a lot easier for all of you to manage.
    Hi, good point. We were trying to plan the trip around my daughter's school schedule. She attends UCD.
    It would probably be a good idea to try the park during a less busy time. Thanks for the advice

Shoot for the week of December 1st. We've been taking our autistic/SPD son for years, and that week (The Monday following Thanksgiving, generally) is always one of the slowest weeks of the year.

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmom View Post
    Hi, good point. We were trying to plan the trip around my daughter's school schedule. She attends UCD.
    It would probably be a good idea to try the park during a less busy time. Thanks for the advice
    There are websites that will give you insight to which times of year are less busy. Here is one with a crowd tracker calendar:

Disneyland Crowd Forecast Calendar | Is It Packed? - Real-Time Crowd Tracking - IsItPacked.com

I went the second week of March right before Spring Break hit and it was the perfect time to go. The lines were fairly short, the crowds were low, and just about every ride was open. They also start the extended park hours and run the nighttime shows every night during that week in prep for Spring Break. Best trip in terms of crowds that I have ever had. You would just have to be prepared for potential rain and bring sweatshirts.

We went a few weeks ago and got the pass for my 6yo son who has ASD. It worked ok for us. In some cases it kept us from having to stand packed in with people causing my son to have sensory overload (like Finding Nemo). Still could not do some of the rides we would like because after waiting our time and entering through the fast pass lines on some rides there was STILL 30-40 minutes wait, I made sure to ask before we were stuck. No RSR for us that day. No POC or Splash Mountain that day either. I also had to several times park the family and run back to the kiosk for a new ride time. It is not nearly as beneficial or easy to use as the old system used to be.

My biggest compliaint was not about how the pass worked, but about the cast member I delt with at guest services in CA. I was asked "what are your child's needs?" I responded that he he unable to wait in packed crowds of people for much time without getting sensory overload." I was then asked "Is that all?" I responded "What do you mean Is that all? What else do you want me to say?" "Is that his ONLY difficulty" If you mean that his ONLY difficulty is he is Autistic and after 10-15 minutes af standing in the middle of a bunch of people, he gets agitated, won't stay in one place, throws himself on the ground kicking, and then trys to run around looking up at the lights to calm his sensory overload? What else do you want me to tell you?"

I felt like I was part of a guessing game, trying to find the "trigger phrase" that would issue me a card. After my more vivid description he issued the card, but seemed pained by it, like I was still BSing him, even while standing in front of him holding my son who is repeatedly saying thank-you and looking at the lights in the ceiling. I nearly asked to speak to someone else, but was getting the DAS and did not want to play the guessing game with someone else.

I told him I realized the program was new and that he had probably been told several variations at this point to which he responded "I don't know what your source or what you have heard but, whatever it is is wrong. Now if you want this for 5 people, I need to see all 5 family members inside here." You mean the wife and 2 other kids in the double and single strollers the other cast member said could wait outside? "Yes, I need to see them" Fortunately the CM at the door said to him I was good, that family was waiting outside and did not need to crowd the strollers in. He then loaded one ride onto the DAS, I asked for RSR. As we walked out, I realized our ride time was not for 2 1/2 HOURS!! Huh? Turns our RSR had been down a bunch already, and had a horrible line, but he did not tell us that, or ask if it was ok, just sent us on our way. I ended up forefitting it so we could do something else.

We went on to have a nice day, Hopefully this is an isolated incident, but if this is how I am going to be treated each and every time I go to DL and try get a DAS for my son, like someone who they assume automatically is trying to scam the system, it does not instill confidence in the new program , and impacts my feeling of Disney being one of the companies that goes out of it's way to assist those with disabilities.

We will be going again soon so we will see.

• Minion

If u have an annual pass u can get it for two weeks when u renew it it is alot easier then the first time.

• Senior Monorail Minion

Not sure, but we have a big mouse in town ;)

Quote Originally Posted by dragondad View Post
    We went a few weeks ago and got the pass for my 6yo son who has ASD. It worked ok for us. In some cases it kept us from having to stand packed in with people causing my son to have sensory overload (like Finding Nemo). Still could not do some of the rides we would like because after waiting our time and entering through the fast pass lines on some rides there was STILL 30-40 minutes wait, I made sure to ask before we were stuck. No RSR for us that day. No POC or Splash Mountain that day either. I also had to several times park the family and run back to the kiosk for a new ride time. It is not nearly as beneficial or easy to use as the old system used to be.

My biggest compliaint was not about how the pass worked, but about the cast member I delt with at guest services in CA. I was asked "what are your child's needs?" I responded that he he unable to wait in packed crowds of people for much time without getting sensory overload." I was then asked "Is that all?" I responded "What do you mean Is that all? What else do you want me to say?" "Is that his ONLY difficulty" If you mean that his ONLY difficulty is he is Autistic and after 10-15 minutes af standing in the middle of a bunch of people, he gets agitated, won't stay in one place, throws himself on the ground kicking, and then trys to run around looking up at the lights to calm his sensory overload? What else do you want me to tell you?"

I felt like I was part of a guessing game, trying to find the "trigger phrase" that would issue me a card. After my more vivid description he issued the card, but seemed pained by it, like I was still BSing him, even while standing in front of him holding my son who is repeatedly saying thank-you and looking at the lights in the ceiling. I nearly asked to speak to someone else, but was getting the DAS and did not want to play the guessing game with someone else.

I told him I realized the program was new and that he had probably been told several variations at this point to which he responded "I don't know what your source or what you have heard but, whatever it is is wrong. Now if you want this for 5 people, I need to see all 5 family members inside here." You mean the wife and 2 other kids in the double and single strollers the other cast member said could wait outside? "Yes, I need to see them" Fortunately the CM at the door said to him I was good, that family was waiting outside and did not need to crowd the strollers in. He then loaded one ride onto the DAS, I asked for RSR. As we walked out, I realized our ride time was not for 2 1/2 HOURS!! Huh? Turns our RSR had been down a bunch already, and had a horrible line, but he did not tell us that, or ask if it was ok, just sent us on our way. I ended up forefitting it so we could do something else.

We went on to have a nice day, Hopefully this is an isolated incident, but if this is how I am going to be treated each and every time I go to DL and try get a DAS for my son, like someone who they assume automatically is trying to scam the system, it does not instill confidence in the new program , and impacts my feeling of Disney being one of the companies that goes out of it's way to assist those with disabilities.

We will be going again soon so we will see.
    With all do respect, I'm pretty tired of hearing people complain about the new system not getting them on every ride. Regular park goers are going on the same amount of rides. The only difference is that we wait in a queue, and those with disabilities get to wait in an area that is more suitable for their needs.

As rude and harsh as this is going to sound, and I feel the pitchforks gearing up, those with disabilities should have to wait the same amount of time as everyone else. If you don't get to do everything you wanted to, you get to roll with the punches just like everyone else. It's not Disney's fault.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast