Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

New disabled pass

I'm getting ready to visit Disneyland with my 19 yr old severely autistic son and I'm pretty nervous! In the past we have only been able to be in the park for 1 -2 hours at a time. Not sure how the new pass will help us considering the wait times. Our last trip my son was upset while waiting at guest services for the disabled pass. Luckily a cast member spotted him in distress...quickly helped me take him to a quiet area and retrieved the pass for us. The rest of that day and part of the next were spent in our hotel room recovering. The rest of the trip was both incredibly stressful and wonderful and in the end all our efforts were worth it. My son is completely smitten with all things Disney and truly lights up while visiting the park. It is really the only thing we have found that makes him happy.

Re: New disabled pass

Good luck with your next trip. I know it might be stressful but its great you have found something which makes him really happy.

Its a shame that a few bad eggs have made it harder for your son to enjoy the park.

Each autistic person can react differently to different situations so my only suggestion is to maybe try and find a quiet area which he feels safe and comfortable in and head back to that area between each ride.

Also try to time other fastpasses in between your rides so that you are not waiting as long between rides.

Also make sure you mention in emails/calls how the experience with the new pass goes as Disney has said they are trying to cater it to individual needs.

Im sure while stressful you will enjoy the time there.

I am pretty bummed about the few bad eggs as well. I would gladly wait in lines with my son if I could! I appreciate your advice regarding the fast pass and esp the quiet area. I will definitely let them know how our experience goes. A trip to Disneyland is a huge chunk out of our budget. We have to stay down there for 5 days...due to the fact my son can only tolerate 1-2 hours a day in the park.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

"a few bad eggs"

If it was just "few" nothing would have had to be done......but it was getting to the point where the word "few" would better describe the number of people who were not cheating the system.

Once upon a time Disneyland had the ticket-book system and the park was a much more relaxed place to visit. Now, it's a feeding frenzy with everyone trying to gain in advantage over everyone else in the overcrowded and abused buffet-style mosh pit.

It's really no wonder that some children can't handle more than a couple of hours...autistic or not
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• "I Break Things"

You know your son best. Typically I would recommend small attractions between the Fastpass ones... things like Jungle, Tiki, Trains etc. This time of year (holidays) the park is extremely crowded. Lines will be a lot longer. I tend to tell everyone to view a Disneyland vacation calendar like a trip to a local mall... Summers and Holidays are the most crowded times to be at the mall, same with Disneyland! Ultimately you know him best. You know his limits.

A "special memory" may be a ride on the tinder box of the Trains, or a trip in the wheel house on the Twain. Places that are more private, yet provide a very unique memory for him!
    "Happiness is a Low Water Level"

"Creating magical memories and making Managers cry since 1955!"

Love those ideas!

My son spends his entire trip at Fantasyland. He will ride a few of the rides before he starts becoming overwhelmed.

He also loves to greet the characters. Name:  396463_365489333463679_559771889_n.jpg
Views: 1422
Size:  137.6 KB

It's expressions like this that make our trip worth all the hassle and money.

• Singing Drinker

FWIW, you should be able to avoid lines - not the waiting, but the lines themselves. Time not spent standing in queue for Pirates could be spent on lunch, meeting characters etc. - unless things have changed off the launch announcement, your son should not even be required to be at the transaction when your return time is assigned.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Thanks, I hope it works for us. I'm really not sure how he will respond to this change. We are used to approaching the exit of his rides and waiting our turn. I wonder how we enter at the Fantasyland rides? Does anyone know?

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by Rainmom View Post
    Thanks, I hope it works for us. I'm really not sure how he will respond to this change. We are used to approaching the exit of his rides and waiting our turn. I wonder how we enter at the Fantasyland rides? Does anyone know?
    You would start by taking the new card to one of the kiosks and getting a return time for the ride you want to go on. Then you can do whatever you want while you wait (i.e. meet characters, get food, see a show, wait for another ride, etc.) Return times are based on the current wait in the regular line, so they do vary. Once it reaches your return time, you should be able to just go to the exit of the Fantasyland rides like you used to, but there will most likely be a shorter line.

Thanks! I am glad we can still enter through the exit. Much less stress having to crowd through a line with my son. He tends to jump and flap and might run into less understanding people in line.

Please let us know how it all goes when you get back

• Blew By You

After a few trips with the DAS, I'd say there's still some kinks to work out. Since the system relies on paper and pens, there's going to be some problems. Not all CMs are getting trained properly.
    The saddest thing has been media perception about who exactly are the "bad eggs". On our recent visit, I overheard some people making snide remarks about the handicapped/disabled population as we showed my daughter's DAS card: "Oh, it's one of them...". It was but a whisper but it shouted hatred. Be prepared.

We were there for an extended visit and I never saw this kind of negativity toward anyone using the card. A few times I found myself thinking...yeah right like they need special assistance...but I quickly corrected myself and realized I had no idea if they had special needs or not.
    [Half awake] How many cups of sugar does it take to get to the moon?

• The doctor is in

You know him best. If you see him start to get overwhelmed take the time to find a quiet spot and then try again after a break. The new DAS acts like a FastPass so even if the standby wait is long, the FP wait should be considerably lower.

And like others mentioned, write or call Disney with feedback after you experience the pass.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

I hope the new system works for your son and you both have a great time! What a perfect Disney moment captured in that photo of him, thanks for sharing it

]

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast