Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast

• Greetings, Program!

Re: Submarines plan to close permanently Jan 4 other bad news

Quote Originally Posted by denyuntilcaught View Post
    Can't argue with blind trust. Although judging by the responses to this article, it seems as if the trust is already beginning to die.
    You should post a video of yourself rubbing your hands together and twirling your handlebar mustache. Just wow.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

• Member of The Club

I always thought that they could revamp this ride to be a people eater. They could make it like one of those walk through aquariums. Lose the claustrophobic subs. Convert the track to a style like the Haunted Mansion. You could keep a lot of the same effects. You would then have a high capacity ride with a much lower maintenance cost that would still be unique.

• Disneyland Nut

Late to the convo, but MyMagic+ is such a joke. It has caused more harm that good on so many levels.

I really hope they don't close the subs permanately. I'm sure I'm not the only one that feels like all that made Disneyland...well, Disneyland is being taken away. All the demo work, perm closures, blocking off treasured spots (i.e. Court of Angels) and many other treasured things just makes it less and less like a warm, nostalgic place of my childhood and a money-grubbing, Disneyland will always be finished sort of place.

*sigh*

Quote Originally Posted by DLRDAD View Post
    I've made my last trip to the DLR if they are going to continue to trickle out mediocre crap...
    Then you might want to change your handle.

• Banned User

I don't know if its been mentioned before but Jim Hill has a great article concerning the origins of the submarines.
    Why (For) did Walt Disney actually have Disneyland's Submarine Voyage built ?

• failure for lunch

Quote Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
    Close the Subs. Rip out Nemo, for four years olds, (where you go underwater to watch a bad cartoon) and bring back a modern version of the Submarine Voyage, for ALL age groups to enjoy.
    This!!!
    Bullets for Breakfast
    Join the party. Face the music.

• Donald's #1 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Algernon View Post
    Close the Subs. Rip out Nemo, for four years olds, (where you go underwater to watch a bad cartoon) and bring back a modern version of the Submarine Voyage, for ALL age groups to enjoy.

1000000X THIS. Current subs do not impress me in the least. We can all see everything is a projection. I was far more amazed at the ingenuity and craftsmanship of the original subs.

• Banned User

^^^ Why would they do this? The submarines are costly, slow loading and have low capacity. There's no reason to rebuild the subs except to appease some nostalgia.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Pineapple Queen

Quote Originally Posted by captain View Post
    While there may be futuristic technology on newer submarines, the of concept of submarines are far from futuristic. This is why I would be glad if the subs went away. The "futuristic" technologies of submarines only appeal to a small, small demographic. The ride mainly attracts people because its underwater, not because they see submarines as the founding of the future.
    Submarines ARE futuristic because we actually know more about outer space than we do our own oceans. There's a very large percentage of the sea that humanity has yet to explore. That, my friend, offers all sorts of futuristic possibilities. However, the current incarnation of the attraction being tied to Finding Nemo makes it non-futuristic. I've said it before and I'll say it again - the original subs were popular and it was just the technology of the attraction that was outdated - not the story/ideas/concepts utilized within the attraction. If something close to the original was brought back with modern-day effects, it would be fantastic.

Quote Originally Posted by denyuntilcaught View Post
    Can't argue with blind trust. Although judging by the responses to this article, it seems as if the trust is already beginning to die.
    My dear friends, take a look at this poster here. They have 30-something posts on MiceChat in their entirety. You know what I think? I think this person is a Disney plant. Disney monitors this site and a lot of the big executives hate that this website has broken major stories and mobilized fans the way it has. They've memorized the handle Dustysage and they know who Al Lutz is. Dusty told me personally at D23 that he got to meet some of these guys and they said, "So you're Dustysage" with all of the implicated undertones there. *Though they were still very friendly!*

A lot of the naysayers here also seem green. I've been a part of this community since 2005, and the majority of the time they have always been right. So let me tell you something - plans change. And the people that write for this site have inside sources, but Disney is also aware that there are leaks. It is completely possible that everything in the articles were true or Disney purposefully informed one of MiceChat's leaks bad information on purpose to hurt this website.

Plans change. Blue sky is never for sure until Disney comes out to the press, and even then, they can very well change their minds. Iger technically already talked up Star Wars plans for the Americans parks to the press, just before his trip out to Orlando.

Dustysage, Fishbulb, Al Lutz (and again, Al has taken leave from the website for months due to health reasons, so please leave him out of this!) etc...they are all fans. They do not have some grand agenda to sell us propaganda to hate Disney. They created this site and share this information with us because they are fans, just like us, and they want to share and they want to give us a sounding board to talk about it and hey, Disney gets free feedback because of this site. There is no grand conspiracy to create more revenue or clicks, because as pointed out, if they were to constantly give us bad information, the fans would move to a different site. Generally, whenever I've seen posters decide to tell the world that they're leaving Micechat, it's because we're "too negative," which can sometimes be true (and those that serve up personal attacks do get taken care of)...but we all still love Disneyland and that's why we're here and that's why we come to this website, to talk about it.

Dusty isn't some malicious malcontent. He may very well have a strong opinion against MyMagic+ bands, but even if he were to write about it and use stronger terminology to express his disgust for the program, he wouldn't concoct a blatant lie to feed to the Miceage audience. That's not the kind of human being that he is. Neither is Fishbulb. They are two of the nicest people that you'll ever meet. I haven't met Al, but he's been writing about Disneyland politics for decades and he has worked carefully to provide accurate information (I actually found an old messaging site between some of you guys from when rumors were getting out that the original subs were closing - it's quite a read and lovely to see familiar names! Go here to see it - similar reactions were happening then).

Nothing in this article sounded ridiculous to me, excluding closing the subs. I personally do not know how much it costs to keep the attraction running. I know that Disney made certain adjustments to the attraction when they made the current incarnation to keep costs down, like painting with glass so that the colors in the lagoon wouldn't fade. I was pretty sure they ran on rechargeable batteries to be more eco-friendly. What I can't see is why Disney would close this incarnation of the subs when Finding Dory is coming out in a few years. The one thing that Disney has consistently clung to recently is synergy and marketing for Disneyland...closing the attraction would be like shooting themselves in the foot. Even if the attraction costs a lot to maintain, it would seem like a bad idea, at least for the next few years.

I have no doubt that they have big plans for Star Wars. Monstropolis in Hollywoodland struck me as a bad idea, but again the suggestion didn't seem random to me, as blue sky has thought of building a doors roller coaster in that corner for many years.
    Last edited by pineapplewhipaddict; 12-05-2013 at 03:18 PM.

• film975

I find it amusing sometimes when people complain about all the movie tie-ins at Disneyland when the park itself was designed and built by movie people. And why is it always the Submarine Voyage that gets the brunt of everyone's criticism? If you ask me, Innoventions is the real eyesore that needs to be removed and replaced.
    Last edited by film975; 12-05-2013 at 04:29 PM.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    I find it amusing sometimes when people complain about the movie tie-ins at Disneyland when the park itself was designed and built by movie people.
    Who understood that they were doing something new and different. With only a few exception, none of the movie-based attractions at Disneyland in its early years would be built using today's guidelines.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Who understood that they were doing something new and different. With only a few exception, none of the movie-based attractions at Disneyland in its early years would be built using today's guidelines.

Well yes and no. They were not the first to use movies as a basis for amusement park rides but what they did was to bring the quality craftsman and artistry from the film industry and develop rides as they would a film. They also were in the forefront of technology. If there is anything Disney has let slip is their commitment to pushing the boundaries of technology on the rides. Unfortunately Universal seems to have taken over that role. But I agree with film 975. Walt Disney was Hollywood and Disneyland was built by the film industry. Even the early rides that did not have a direct tie-in to films were created by people in the industry, with their particular eye for detail and sense of storytelling. That's what makes Disney parks so special.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilkinson View Post
    Well yes and no. They were not the first to use movies as a basis for amusement park rides but what they did was to bring the quality craftsman and artistry from the film industry and develop rides as they would a film. They also were in the forefront of technology. If there is anything Disney has let slip is their commitment to pushing the boundaries of technology on the rides. Unfortunately Universal seems to have taken over that role. But I agree with film 975. Walt Disney was Hollywood and Disneyland was built by the film industry. Even the early rides that did not have a direct tie-in to films were created by people in the industry, with their particular eye for detail and sense of storytelling. That's what makes Disney parks so special.
    Which is entirely different than today where additions are based on box office receipts and merchandise sales first and maybe story later.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Which is entirely different than today where additions are based on box office receipts and merchandise sales first and maybe story later.
    It's unfortunate because a ride like Splash Mountain can have a movie tie-in that works into a well made ride that drives in the people, even if nobody recognizes the characters from Song of the South. I feel like the executives today wouldn't consider building something like it again because the movie is either a. not popular enough or b. the movie did not make near the amount Avatar made. In my opinion, box office sales do not automatically promise a high quality attraction.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    It's unfortunate because a ride like Splash Mountain can have a movie tie-in that works into a well made ride that drives in the people, even if nobody recognizes the characters from Song of the South. I feel like the executives today wouldn't consider building something like it again because the movie is either a. not popular enough or b. the movie did not make near the amount Avatar made. In my opinion, box office sales do not automatically promise a high quality attraction.
    Not just Splash - Indy's not based on a given movie, and not particularly based around *INDY* if you think about it. There are a few jokes, but remove awareness of the character and you still have an amazing experience that should translate to anyone riding regardless of whether they've seen the movies.

THAT should be the bar. "Does this make sense if you haven't seen the movie?".
    Woo! Spring is coming!

Page 12 of 21 FirstFirst ... 29101112131415 ... LastLast