Page 19 of 21 FirstFirst ... 9161718192021 LastLast

• Special Agent

Re: Submarines plan to close permanently Jan 4 other bad news

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    I suppose we'll know whether they are 'dry docking' the subs forever .. or rehabbing them .... when the crews reach a certain point within a couple of weeks.
    How? None of us will really know what they are doing inside the caverns and they've already said they are going to drain the lagoon. So what specific type of work would we have to see to know it's coming back as opposed to just being related to the draining?

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    No, but I'm willing to bet they have a significantly higher number of "sources" at Disney than anyone at MiceChat/Age does, and I'm willing to bet their sources are significantly higher placed. And I'm willing to bet both are still consulted on things from time to time.
    Yeah, but the questions is - even if they did know something - would they be willing to spill the beans? Especially if they are still looking to be included in discussions, consultations, and special events. Tony has a history of soft coating the truth and I would very much doubt he would say anything publicly against the company's will. Marty has a bit of a reputation for coming out against these kinds of projects, but considering all he has gone through, would he be willing to do it again? Probably not.

Not that I am convinced they are closing forever, I just don't think Marty or Tony have much weight in such discussions.

The Nemo Subs are the most expensive attraction of the resort, was the original as expensive as the current subs? If so, why did they bring it back and then close it down several years later. It does not make sense.
    Murphy,with that neck, is like E.T. in dragon form

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by mondo View Post
    The Nemo Subs are the most expensive attraction of the resort, was the original as expensive as the current subs? If so, why did they bring it back and then close it down several years later. It does not make sense.
    The original subs were also incredibly expensive. The return of the subs can be attributed to John Lasseter, who fought for their return and offered up Nemo as a way to get it done.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    So what specific type of work would we have to see to know it's coming back as opposed to just being related to the draining?
    IMO - if we see them start rehabbing the show elements in the exterior lagoon.. like repainting... that would be a convincing sign for me they plan on reopening. If we see signs that the subs are being overhauled.. (and not just removed).. that would be a convincing sign for me.

But simply activity in the lagoon like we have now... doesn't really say much of anything IMO.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by DLcub View Post

To say with conviction that the subs are definitely coming back/definitely getting the axe when none of us have proof either way seems a little ignorant.

If I were to guess I'd say that there's a fairly big chance that the subs aren't coming back. I don't know for sure but it's certainly leaning in that direction.
    We have micechat saying that it's a fact that the Subs aren't coming back. We have Disney via their blog, Sklar and Baxter all saying they are coming back. I say their is a fairly big chance they are coming back and I've yet to see anything that "it's certainly leaning in that direction" of not coming back.

Quote Originally Posted by stevek View Post
    We have micechat saying that it's a fact that the Subs aren't coming back. We have Disney via their blog, Sklar and Baxter all saying they are coming back. I say their is a fairly big chance they are coming back and I've yet to see anything that "it's certainly leaning in that direction" of not coming back.

I couldn't agree more
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• Pilot EdForceOne

We have micechat saying that it's a fact that the Subs aren't coming back
    I think you should re-read the micechat articles

Am I evil? yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    That's what I was thinking.

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    . It wasn't in an article. I believe it was in the comments following one of the articles. The comment was by Dusty if I remember correctly. They have waffled back and forth. At one time it was not coming back and then maybe...bottom line is that nobody knows for sure and we can either take Disney at their word or be skeptical.

In the comments section of the Jan 3rd So Long Subs...update, Dusty stated the following when someone said the subs closing is a rumor: "Due to the number of people aware of the closure, it’s really much more fact than rumor at this point. Rumor only in so far as Disney isn’t willing to confirm it yet. In part because the replacement plans (Star Wars) have been partially placed on hold. It does look like they are moving forward with the cosmetic Star Wars fix to the front of the land. But should they approve the budget for the rest of the project, the subs would need to go anyway."

That is where my comment above came from.

• Pilot EdForceOne

In the comments section of the Jan 3rd So Long Subs...update.
    Read the article from the 7th
    MiceChat - Disneyland Resort, Features, MiceAge Update, Top Content - MiceAge Disneyland Update: Goat Hijinks, Jedi Mind Tricks and Rabbit Holes

Am I evil? yes, I am

Yes, I've read every article. The challenge is that they come out saying it's a fact and then 4 days later change their story to maybe. I'll continue to be optimistic about it's return until we hear something different from Disney or a few months from now and no work has been done.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Yes, I've read every article. The challenge is that they come out saying it's a fact and then 4 days later change their story to maybe. I'll continue to be optimistic about it's return until we hear something different from Disney or a few months from now and no work has been done.
    Well... when one uses the words 'saying' that is present tense.. Their latest was it's closing and reopening hinges on SW plans with lots of benefits of the long closure.

The current pace of work sure doesn't scream "we are eager to get this reopened as soon as possible".

Am I evil? yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by TFN5459 View Post
    I think they will stick with Nemo, especially since Finding Dory is due out in a few years. The planet core sub in my opinion would be really repetitive since we already have the one scene in Star Tours, besides if there's one thing I don't want to see in Tomorrowland, its Jar Jar Binks...
    I realize that 2016's Finding Dory would be a great tie-in to this ride, and a lot of people are pointing it out. But I would argue that 2015's Star Wars Episode VII would be an even bigger ride-tie in, meaning it's at least as likely that the resort would be better off with Star Wars attractions in place of Finding Nemo' voyage.

In other words, that a sequel to Nemo is coming out, to me, isn't a convincing reason to keep the attraction in lieu of Star Wars attractions.

•   
    • Minion

All the chatter surrounding the Subs just reminds me of a corporate workplace. So many rumors and plans come out and get changed and come back again. I see this being the case here. Is it really that far stretched to think corporate Disney was going to close the subs at one point. An attraction that produces red numbers on the books? Then someone else realized the 60th anniverssary might not be the best time to do it? Then a new plan is formed? These types of changes are commmon and I bet they aren't done hammerign out the details. I see the subs coming back and then being sunsetted for something new eventually. Liek within the next couple years opening date of 2017. Just my opinion of course.