Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast

• I'm not really here

Re: Submarines plan to close permanently Jan 4 other bad news

I wouldn't believe a single word of that article guys. It is so full of issues and glaring problems that it actually physically hurt to read it.

#1 More fear soaked adjectives than the most charged partisan political speech in recorded history. Any time someone starts trotting out the fear words and negative connotations, you should get worried that they are trying to sell you something. In this case, a manufactured crisis.

#2 If true, this constitutes a major financial crisis for the company. An immediate work stop at the major money earning business unit of the single largest entertainment company on the planet, and it isn't reported on in any financial trades? Right. That's believable.

#3 Does someone at MiceChat/MiceAge work for the NSA? Because how on Earth are they getting the contents of off the record high level talks between senior executives? This isn't the sort of thing you over hear on a forgotten hot mic.

#4 Since when does project A run in to issues and loose a bunch of money so you cancel lucrative projects in progress? That makes absolutely no sense at all. You just don't do that. Even bad business managers don't make that mistake. "Well, this product failed, so I'm going to stop all work on the product that every fan in the world is telling me they want." Said no CEO ever.

#5 The budgets aren't set up that way. NextGen is its own budget, with its own team. If it is over budget and behind schedule, it gets halted. Not work on projects at Disneyland Paris. Or even Anaheim. Or even Disney World for that matter (except maybe those directly related to NextGen). They are separate budgets and don't really affect each other. If one is going over, you put it on pause and review it. Not projects under budgets that are not related to it. And certainly not those which will increase profits.

#6 Continuing to push the idea that MyMagic+ is some minute-by-minute pre-planning of your entire vacation is another glaring issue here and exposes an agenda. That isn't what MyMagic+ is, unless you want it to be that for you. What it is is an option you can use, as you see fit, to plan as much or as little of your trip as you'd like. Continuing to push this other notion of it shows the article for what it is, an attempt to sow fear that you won't be able to go to Disney without pre-planning every ride you want to go on.

This entire article is a mass of FUD. Fear, Uncertainty, Doubt. It is argumentum ad metum. The logical fallacy "appeal to fear." Create something to be feared (MyMagic+ will force you to pre-plan your Disney trips and will create chaos at Disneyland). Show why it is to be feared (it is so over budget that the CEO himself has halted work on all other park projects globally, except for Shanghai and Tokyo). The implied alternative to the fearful future is that MyMagic+ must be stopped. It is a fallacy, and most of the article a thinly veiled, poorly held together pack of inconsistencies and illogical statements.

Again, I wouldn't believe a word of it. Maybe that MyMagic+ is over budget and behind schedule. After all, a lie must be based on a truth to be believable.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I really can't see this happening. I mean, Universal's DECADES from having a big enough internal development team that they can tear apart and fire so that Disney can hire them.
    Huh?

I'm in the category of "if it closes, I would be sad, but not upset". I like the idea of it being there, but I don't wait in line to ride it.

I was wondering what people thought about the lagoon. I would like to see the full size lagoon back. when they built Nemo, the show building was expanded into the back part of the lagoon. I would like that opened up again.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by gary94080 View Post
    I'm in the category of "if it closes, I would be sad, but not upset". I like the idea of it being there, but I don't wait in line to ride it.

I was wondering what people thought about the lagoon. I would like to see the full size lagoon back. when they built Nemo, the show building was expanded into the back part of the lagoon. I would like that opened up again.
    I liked the full sized lagoon better too, but there was a rumor that John Lasseter wanted to extend the cavern scenes so the guests could see more Nemo

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    #5 The budgets aren't set up that way. NextGen is its own budget, with its own team. If it is over budget and behind schedule, it gets halted. Not work on projects at Disneyland Paris. Or even Anaheim. Or even Disney World for that matter (except maybe those directly related to NextGen). They are separate budgets and don't really affect each other. If one is going over, you put it on pause and review it. Not projects under budgets that are not related to it. And certainly not those which will increase profits.
    There really is no way to shut down MyMagic+ without going back to doing everything on paper.

• Mrs. J. Depp

Am I the only person who thinks NextGen and MyMagic is ridiculous? When you have a system that works so well, why uproot that for who knows how many thousands or millions of dollars? Some things are just a failsafe and you can link plenty to a hotel room card key so I just don't see the immediate need for the dumb bracelets. Anywho I think the subs are staying, wish they weren't Nemo though. And I'd be sad to see them go only because of what they represent and Walt's vision. As time goes on it will be harder to see Walts originals go away, and I thinks that's hard for very many people to handle.

Facebook me!
    Join in the Disney fun at MyVMK!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by IzzyInWonderland View Post
    Am I the only person who thinks NextGen and MyMagic is ridiculous? When you have a system that works so well, why uproot that for who knows how many thousands or millions of dollars? Some things are just a failsafe and you can link plenty to a hotel room card key so I just don't see the immediate need for the dumb bracelets. Anywho I think the subs are staying, wish they weren't Nemo though. And I'd be sad to see them go only because of what they represent and Walt's original vision. As time goes on it will be harder to see Walts originals go away and I thinks that's hard for very many people to handle.
    There are many people, including myself, who believe MyMagic is ridiculous. So no, you are not the only one.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Huh?
    Universal's creative team is the remnants of WDI, after they were torn apart and laid off for contract rehire. The reason for the major advances in theme and experience at the Universal resorts is, essentially, Disney management. Without the firings, Uni would be working with the (still skilled but sadly) second tier groups that were feeding on the edges of the industry.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Universal's creative team is the remnants of WDI, after they were torn apart and laid off for contract rehire. The reason for the major advances in theme and experience at the Universal resorts is, essentially, Disney management. Without the firings, Uni would be working with the (still skilled but sadly) second tier groups that were feeding on the edges of the industry.
    What does this have to do with Disney trying to move Walt Disney Imagineering to a smaller group that outsources more?

• Heavy Breather

Wow...just, just wow. Iger, you are officially the worst CEO in Disney history. Sure Eisner did some stupid things, sure he almost killed 2D animation for the studio. But he didn't buy out other franchises (despite the good it's done) just for brands sake, he didn't deliberately release Winnie the Pooh the same weekend as Deathly Hallows Part 2 (effectively killing 2D animated features for the time being), and he did not, and I repeat DID NOT!!! Put every project on hold at WDI just so he could focus on fixing a project that was doomed from the start because of the creepy and inconvenient nature of the project.
    Robert Iger, the day you are no longer CEO is the day I go throw a party and celebrate a hopeful arrival of someone who actually gives a damn about the company and it's well being, not one whose every action is made to appease shareholders. 2016 can't arrive fast enough.

*Drops mic and storms out*

• Singing Drinker

What does this have to do with Disney trying to move Walt Disney Imagineering to a smaller group that outsources more?
    Universal's "model" was to hire and contract out all the groups that were trained and gained their experience through Disney Imagineering. For Universal to do the same favor for Disney would involve creating a WDI and...

Oh never mind. Not worth the miles to explain.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Universal's "model" was to hire and contract out all the groups that were trained and gained their experience through Disney Imagineering. For Universal to do the same favor for Disney would involve creating a WDI and...

Oh never mind. Not worth the miles to explain.
    Universal would not have to do anything. Disney just has to fire a lot people and then hire the existing companies.

• Singing Drinker

Universal would not have to do anything. Disney just has to fire a lot people and then hire the existing companies.
    They're a few steps ahead of you - they've laid off a large volume of various facets of WDI. I know dressers, builders etc. out in CA (several of them are friends), all fired/laid off, all either completely retired or doing occasional part work as they invest their skills more fully with other companies offering more financial stability. This is kinda old news - they've been working on mostly contracts supervised by a few remaining staffers since Monsters at DCA at the very least.

• the rockawho?

endor will be a flop...it will be popular the first few months, but decline to nothing....seriously, out of all the lands in star wars...they chose endor...such a poor decision...i see another refurbishment plans for star wars land in the near future after it gets completed...whenever that is

• Minion

I always go with the notion that until Disney announces it officially I take EVERYTHING with a grain of salt. None of this stuff was every officially announced. I almost felt like this artcile was a way of saying it was just a rumor, but we reported it as fact and now we are making up stuff to seem as if it was cancelled...
    Jeff Wayne

Page 3 of 21 FirstFirst 12345613 ... LastLast