Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast

• Minion

Re: Submarines plan to close permanently Jan 4 other bad news

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
    I always go with the notion that until Disney announces it officially I take EVERYTHING with a grain of salt. None of this stuff was every officially announced. I almost felt like this artcile was a way of saying it was just a rumor, but we reported it as fact and now we are making up stuff to seem as if it was cancelled...
    It seems almost as if the editors were thinking twice about the rumors they put out, so they used MyMagic as an excuse to get them off their shoulders in case they were proven to be false, which could greatly hurt the credibility of this site. I could be completely wrong, but that is my theory.

• Iron-Clad Allie

First of all, Disney is not about to drop the Subs. Like Autopia, it's one of two outdoor motion rides especially geared for families with kids - and Autopia would definitely go first. Doubt that any of the other rides/rethemed areas mentioned in the OP are being discontinued either. The rumors are each solid enough to be believable. Beyond that, we might see theme park three be setback if the economy worsens.
    Last edited by Ride Warrior; 11-26-2013 at 12:46 PM.
    To Boldly Go Where No MiceChatter Has Gone Before!

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    It seems almost as if the editors were thinking twice about the rumors they put out, so they used MyMagic as an excuse to get them off their shoulders in case they were proven to be false, which could greatly hurt the credibility of this site. I could be completely wrong, but that is my theory.
    You took the words right out of my mouth. Well said.

• Former Churro Jockey

Well, I only went on the new subs once and didn't like them, so I personally would not be sad if they went away. I was never that big of a fan anyway. Are they popular with kids because of the Finding Nemo overlay? If kids are dying to go on them because they love Finding Nemo so much then I hope they stay around for their sake. Otherwise I'm ready for something new. I was working there with the subs closed the first time, and there were whispers (no idea how true they were because we did hear a lot of things that turned out not to be true) that Imagineering was supposedly trying to work out the kinks of creating an underwater roller coaster. It was supposed to be a rollercoaster through glass tubes so you can see the scenery that they would put in the lagoon. The big issue (we heard) was that there was no way to evacuate everyone in the event of an emergeny. So IF any of that was true, I wonder if 14 years later they've come up with a solution to that and might take a look at it again.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• The doctor is in

I agree.

It's pretty bold of them to announce that Disney has called it quits on projects that were never officially announced to begin with, such as Monstropolis and the Star Wars overlay of Tomorrowland. It's like MiceAge just debunked the rumors that they amped up to begin with.
    Merrily on our way to nowhere at all.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by GhostHostJeff View Post
    I always go with the notion that until Disney announces it officially I take EVERYTHING with a grain of salt. None of this stuff was every officially announced. I almost felt like this artcile was a way of saying it was just a rumor, but we reported it as fact and now we are making up stuff to seem as if it was cancelled...
    Similar stories have been coming from plenty of reputable sources.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Similar stories have been coming from plenty of reputable sources.
    Exactly. It's DCA 1.0's planning and construction period all over again: people inside predicting it wouldn't work and being ignored, people outside predicting it wouldn't work and being disbelieved.

What folks seem to forget is that NextScrewup and MyBoondoggle are the brainspawn of the same people who Michael Eisner hired, trained and promoted -- from his handpicked second-in-command Bob Iger to his Chief Financial Officer and Strategic Planning guru Tom Staggs -- and the people who they in turn hired, trained and promoted. Eisner is gone in body, but not in spirit.

The only chapters remaining to be written are who will be blamed by top management (hint: not anyone above Sr. VP), and how the Disney PR and social media machines will spin the story (hint: get out your hipboots, folks, the corporate bs is going to be deep).
    Last edited by Mr Wiggins; 11-26-2013 at 12:17 PM.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Special Agent

I haven't read the article but I wanted to comment on what is being said here:

The subs are doomed. They are too costly and too low capacity to keep running. The best thing to do is close them, and switch that huge maintenance budget to one or two or even three replacement rides that could see ten times the number of guests that the subs do. Disneyland needs more high capacity rides and the subs just aren't it. Its just a matter of time now, and just as in 1998, a matter of finding a replacement for Nemo and whether to keep them open until then.

MyMagic+: pretty much agree with Mycroft. MyMagic should be a separate project with a separate budget and it should not effect anything. I think there has been huge pressure to scale back cap ex that is separate from anything going g on with MyMagic+.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post

The only remaining chapters to be written are who will be blamed by top management (hint: not anyone above Sr. VP), and how the Disney PR and social media machines will spin the story (hint: get out your hipboots, folks, the corporate bs is going to be deep).

Chapters written in the book of rumors and fantasy that the internet writes about Disney.

It's a great way to drive traffic to the site. Use a bunch of hearsay with no evidence to get people psyched about new rides and expansions, then use scandal and populist corporate bashing to explain why none of those rumors are real.

It's similar to how so many Apple blogs drive clicks through constant rumors and hearsay.

• Goofy

nothing but dumb rumors

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    I haven't read the article but I wanted to comment on what is being said here:

The subs are doomed. They are too costly and too low capacity to keep running. The best thing to do is close them, and switch that huge maintenance budget to one or two or even three replacement rides that could see ten times the number of guests that the subs do. Disneyland needs more high capacity rides and the subs just aren't it. Its just a matter of time now, and just as in 1998, a matter of finding a replacement for Nemo and whether to keep them open until then.

MyMagic+: pretty much agree with Mycroft. MyMagic should be a separate project with a separate budget and it should not effect anything. I think there has been huge pressure to scale back cap ex that is separate from anything going g on with MyMagic+.
    *shrugs*

Using that logic, the subs were "doomed" the moment Pressler closed them and then tore down the "imagineering something new" sign off the wall during the press junket.

The fact that they weren't says we're not seeing enough of the picture to really make an informed judgement. If they were the massive cash sink that people claim they are, no amount of Lassiter interference would make Disney keep them open. If they were as inexpensive and reliable as others claim, we'd rarely if ever see the ride operating with less than full capacity.

All we know right now is that the Subs are scheduled for a refurb, and that's about the limit on it. Going by the recent track record, saying the subs are "doomed" would be akin to saying BTMRR was "doomed" when they took it down for the rebuild - a little premature.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    I agree.

It's pretty bold of them to announce that Disney has called it quits on projects that were never officially announced to begin with, such as Monstropolis and the Star Wars overlay of Tomorrowland. It's like MiceAge just debunked the rumors that they amped up to begin with.
    Same boat as you guys.

It really feels like someone fed them a bunch of rumors for possible projects, and then when they found out they weren't real, they scrambled to find an excuse and went with MyMagic+. That said, I still see the Fantasyland Dark Ride stuff happening, as well as the 60th anniversary stuff.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    The only chapters remaining to be written are who will be blamed by top management (hint: not anyone above Sr. VP), and how the Disney PR and social media machines will spin the story (hint: get out your hipboots, folks, the corporate bs is going to be deep).
    George A. Kalogridis has taken over the roll-out of MyMagic at WDW, and the former chief, Nick Franklin, is moving on to integrate MyMagic into other Disney parks. MyMagic is just part of the NextGen initiative.

Disney MyMagic+ oversight - Orlando Sentinel

Looks like the project will be a success, and it sure isn't going away.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post

The subs are doomed. They are too costly and too low capacity to keep running. The best thing to do is close them, and switch that huge maintenance budget to one or two or even three replacement rides that could see ten times the number of guests that the subs do. Disneyland needs more high capacity rides and the subs just aren't it.
    Subs' batteries don't need maintenance, you wouldn't want to try to open up those batteries! The Subs don't really cost that much to keep them running, unlike the train and Indy and a lot of other rides with complex animatronics like Pirates.

Disney does fairly well by operating a number of low capacity rides such as:

Tiki Room
    Main Street vehicles
    Peter Pan
    Snow White
    Mr. Toad
    Carousel
    Storybook/Casey Jr.
    Dumbo
    Pooh
    Astro Jets
    Meet and Greets
    and others . . .

Not everything needs to be a gigantic people eating Haunted mansion, though it you added up enough rides like the Subs, it is the same capacity as a big people eater, plus guests spend time walking in between just attractions and soak up the scenery.

• Sock Puppet

Quote Originally Posted by Rex Dopey24 View Post
    nothing but dumb rumors
    You would think when they do their rumor mongering they could dig up at least some shreds of evidence. Maybe a photo of an internal document, or heck at least a faked quote from an unnamed source. This article just read like a bunch of fear, uncertainty, and doubt.

Page 4 of 21 FirstFirst 123456714 ... LastLast