Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast

Submarines plan to close permanently Jan 4 other bad news

According to todays Mice Age Update the plan was to close the subs permanently Jan 4 while work was being done on StarWars Land. Stars Wars plan has been put on hold ,along with Fantasy land rides refurbishment, and Monstropolis has been dropped altogether. All this due to cost over runs and delays in Nextgen and MyMagic+.

http://micechat.com/49401-my-magic-plus-failure/ I edited my post to ad this link. Also, the subs run on batteries and batteries don`t last forever. Your iphone battery is only good for 300-500 charge cycles before it is reduced to 80%. Perhaps the sub batteries are at the end of their life and repacement cost is a factor.
    Last edited by Jerryp49; 11-26-2013 at 10:58 AM.

Re: Submarines plan to close permanently Jan 4 other bad news

I have a hard time believing that the subs would close permanently. They still bring in a lot of people and are usually very busy. To be honest, I would be very sad if the subs closed.

• Sock Puppet

Lets be honest here, Anaheim is the often unwanted step-child of Disney theme parks. The DCA makeover didn't happen because they wanted to invest huge cash into DLR, but because it had become such a taint on the Disney brand and they had no other choice. I'm sure My-Magic has a part, but the truth is that all plans for Anaheim, if there ever were any, have been scrapped so that Disney can get back to the business of pumping billions into the rest of their properties, chiefly WDW. WDW is still getting a massive remake of DTD and Pandora is still moving forward. Lets not pretend that all park expansion has been axed, just for Anaheim.
    meanwhile, DL blog site über loyalists get there way and the backlot will still look like crap 15 years from now and TL will still be the worst TL. I've made my last trip to the DLR if they are going to continue to trickle out mediocre crap like the princess and superhero meet and greets, knowing they can get SoCal DL loyalists to lineup in droves for any junk they spend pennies on in order to save money to pump into the rest of the world. I'm done with Anaheim.
    I hope Potter opens at USH and steals every new theme park fan and destination tourist.

• Mistress of Evil

Nemo subs are listed on Disney's official Media page as being down from 1/6 through 9/26. They do not appear to be closing indefinitely..just a long refurb...besides Nemo 2 is coming out soon. If you want more info about it, there was some discussion on the Winter Refurb thread.

Based on media reports I have read of the last few months, all have said Disney is going to cut back on capital spending due to shareholders putting pressure on the executives, apparently shareholders are not getting the returns they want on their investment.

Not really a surprise if they put projects on hold.

• Future Imagineer

This is sad news. I was looking forward to these new projects. Sounds like the future's on hold . Wonder what else has been affected by this.

• Minion

Well...at least Monstropolis got cancelled. I hated the idea of that coming to DCA so much.

• Hooterville, USA

And so, it starts.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Oh hey, look, a "refurb" that isn't really a refurbishment. This reminds me of what happened in Florida with their subs.

I'm not against the Star Wars idea, but Endor? Really, Endor? Couldn't they do something more futuristic? Something fans would be much more receptive of?

• Banned User

I kinda doubt the reason given for the closure of the Subs:

But the batteries and power systems are not aging well, and the submarines are in constant need of repair. Many times, a submarine can’t make it through an entire operating day and has to be towed back to the dock for maintenance on the battery packs.

Batteries are typically full of chemicals, self-contained, and are not designed to have "maintenance" performed on them! It would be like having to open your notebook's batteries and top off the battery fluid or something.

Nemo's ride system has been relatively maintenance free for the past seven years, and obviously the ride will still be there with Finding Dory. Disney Sea's "Aquatopia" inductive charge system has been working for years and years with little maintenance problems, as have inductive charging systems in a variety of Disney attractions worldwide.

I kinda doubt the part about Bob Iger going to Orlando, the NextGen/MyMagic+ costs haven't been spiraling out of control, the company announced a while ago that domestic capital expenditures would be lower in 2014, outside of Avatarland/finishing up the Seven Dwarfs coaster. Also, Burbank is where the big decisions are typically made, they don't need to fly off to Orlando to check-up on the company's financials.

The whole Monstropolis/Star Wars land in Tomorrowland were pretty much fan generated ideas, IMHO, and weren't ever seriously considered by WDI/Burbank. It is already known that WDI is working on a large/immersive land for Star Wars land, which couldn't fit in Tomorrowland unless you decided to take out most of the attractions.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 11-26-2013 at 08:48 AM.

• Tomorrow's Child

What I don't get is the notion that MyMagic+ is proving costly and so they've halted all WDI projects/shifted focus to SDLR. Why 'take it out' on the Imagineers, its not their fault if this project has not took off straight away. Maybe that's me being naive...

As for the Subs; well closing them would be an odd choice. They put a lot of money into returning the attraction, it seems like a lot for a short term thing - even if it is the most costliest attraction.
    If things are that bad then sure, mothball it for a few months, dust it off for the summer season.

"We're not trying to entertain the critics ... I'll take my chances with the public." -
    Walt Disney

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by C-HOX View Post
    Oh hey, look, a "refurb" that isn't really a refurbishment. This reminds me of what happened in Florida with their subs.

I'm not against the Star Wars idea, but Endor? Really, Endor? Couldn't they do something more futuristic? Something fans would be much more receptive of?
    In the Magic Kingdom in Orlando, maintenance managers who didn't like having to maintain the diesel 20,000 K Subs, and underwater animatronics, "staged" a 20,000 K with water poured in it to make it look like the 20,000 K were on the verge of falling apart, just because they didn't want to take care of them, so they decided to scrap that attraction.

In Disneyland, yes, they closed the Subs, but they kept the lagoon and were thinking of putting in an Atlantis: The Lost Empire, an 2001 Disney animated film, as an overlay, had the film been a success, then you would've seen that. Nemo Subs opened in 2007 with a new maintenance cost saving electric induction track, which has decreased the maintenance drastically on the Subs themselves.

Does maintenance still have an issue with diving into Nemo's lagoon to fix the few remaining animatronics? Well, maintenance lets applicants for machinist positions know ahead of time they have to scuba dive to work at DLR, and there is a whole lot more underwater stuff to maintain, specifically the World of Color water show, in addition to perennial cleaning tasks such as the Jungle Cruise and the Nemo Subs, so the maintenance for Nemo is kinda folded into these much larger tasks, in terms of maintaining dive teams and equipment.

There is also much less water in the Nemo Subs system as they converted some of the underwater scenes to dry scenes made to look like they're underwater, so less cost to maintain them.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 11-26-2013 at 07:59 AM.

• Minion

One of the biggest theme parks in the world can't afford to run a ride?

Then again Disneyland Paris often has rides closed in the off season.

• The doctor is in

I highly doubt they will be closed permanently. The refurb schedule has them reopening in September.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Hathaway Browne View Post
    What I don't get is the notion that MyMagic+ is proving costly and so they've halted all WDI projects/shifted focus to SDLR. Why 'take it out' on the Imagineers, its not their fault if this project has not took off straight away. Maybe that's me being naive...
    Shanghai Disneyland has a construction schedule which is already set in stone, and the vast amount of the design work has already been done, though the Chinese partners don't want the details leaking out ahead of time. Even if WDI imagineers were shunted to Shanghai, they wouldn't have much design work to do, IMHO, as construction has already begun.

Page 1 of 21 123411 ... LastLast