Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• New Mommy

Re: No 60th Anniversary? ONLY thing to do......

Do you really think DL is going to pass up a milestone anniversary, a major marketing opportunity, by doing nothing?

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!

KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

First, I don't really think 60 is a big deal, in terms of anniversaries. Birthday of a person? Sure. But I'd expect 75 to be a much bigger deal. Otherwise every ten years it's making some big hullaballoo, which, I mean, if playing up the number sells more stuff, sure, they'll do it. For me, 50's a big thing. 75's a big thing. 60 is...if they feel like making it a big deal to milk some more cash out of people.

Whether what they end up doing is actually worth the hype they put into it is another matter entirely, but I highly doubt they'll do absolutely nothing. At the very least there will be shirts. There are new shirts/mugs/whatever EVERY year that say the year. It'd take zero extra effort for them to put the year+60th anniversary or 60 years of Disneyland or whatever on the shirts. We're talking about a giant corporation with a massive marketing machine. They know how to sell merch.

Quote Originally Posted by KellyMcG86 View Post
    Do you really think DL is going to pass up a milestone anniversary, a major marketing opportunity, by doing nothing?
    Isn't that what DLR did for the 55th??? They had the chance to bring back MSEP As WOC was opening that summer and on top of that, DL only had the street party. POD was long gone and if I remember correctly, Sounsational was supposed to start that summer. That didn't happen.
    What I still don't get after all these years is why is DL so shy with getting back into the night parade business? Even If the article that came out yesterday is false or didn't come out at all, I'm still suspicious about DL getting a night parade for the 60th

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Weaver View Post
    I'd rather see them restore every single thing in the park to mint condition, as a matter of pride in the park, for the 60th anniversary, instead of throwing out new attractions, shows or lands.
    I couldn't agree more.

• Minion

Boy, that AP entitlement. I like to think I'm keeping a level head when it comes to the park and my AP.

Disney is not obligated to provide new anything to its guests, even as a matter of getting business. Its only obligations are to make profits to pay their stockholders.

• Sorcerer Supreme Bean

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    "Official announcements" from Disney are spin-doctored PR flack, and as far from the truth as the proverbial hawk from the moon.
    Normally true, but everything being canceled over a tantrum as that article implies is spun about as far the opposite way of Disney PR spin

I'll wait till I hear something a bit less sensationalist and a little more rational.
    There is no right or wrong in this debate. It is simply a matter of perspective.
    -Dr. Strange

Boy, I'm glad when I still lived in Anaheim and had my AP I didn't suffer from this sense of entitlement so many AP holders feel now. Not sure if that was always a thing, but I never have 'met' so many people who think that way as I have here on these boards...

Back in the "good ol' days" Disneyland used to celebrate their birthday/anniversary every 5 years with a huge party. The first one I remember, and went to, was in 1980 for Disneyland's 25th. Now it seems they've scaled down in the last decade, with the last big party for Disneyland's 50th. I think it's only fair to hope that Disneyland offers something new and exciting for their 60th. And the ideas they had talked about seem perfect...let's just hope they are actually offered.

• The one, the only...

If I were running Disney, I certainly would be doing a celebration because it brings in more people. More people makes more money. To bring in more money, the more new attractions the more the draw. This is a tried and verified system for making money. Plastic wrist bands are not proven in their money making. To cancel new rides and attractions because you spent too much on plastic bands is just stupidity.

Disneyland as not had any new major attractions added in decades. To compete in a market place which now as credible competition by Universal, is just poor business sense.

Disneyland needs more than a few new cupcakes for the 60th to really draw families to visit.
    Jiminy Cricket Fan

Love Disneyland and Walt Disney World!

My prediction is that after years of focusing on magic and nostalgia, the marketing push for the 60th will focus on action and adventure similar to the 40 Years of Adventure campaign which had the then new Indy attraction as the center piece. With Avengers 2 and Star Wars 7 both coming out in 2015 plus Pirates 5 in 2016, it'd be a good time to push the action angle which itself could be seen as a response to Universal's marketing. There is also a live action Cinderella coming out that year.

OP you're overreacting.

• a wind to shake the stars

There's no way on earth they're going to let the 60th anniversary pass without capitalizing on it.

• Indiana Scott

60 really isn't a milestone IMHO.
    I feel like the next milestone will be at 75.

• Singing Drinker

My guess would be that independent of the rumored 'budget trouble' there probably wasn't going to be a huge anniversary push. They will likely do something smallish, but hoping for a massive ride and show bonanza is likely not to have the best results for your happiness.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    60 really isn't a milestone IMHO.
    I feel like the next milestone will be at 75.
    true, but that didn't stop the Disneyland from having decent anniversaries in the past with the 30th, 35th, 40th anniversaries

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast