Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Re: Is Disneyland a tourist destination, or a local park? What's your view about it?

At the same time individuals outside of California are excluded from SoCal, SoCalSelect, and monthly payments. So I would say statistically that CA residents are a much higher percentage of the overall AP population. If you factor in that SoCal and SoCalSelect have more blackout dates, logically it would indicate they are a higher overall percentage of the AP population.

This is true, which makes me wonder how folks are defining "local" as we talk about it. There's a pretty large area that does qualify one for a SoCal pass, but which, by the definition I've been using, would not qualify as "local". From the organizations I've worked with in California, a visitor is considered "local" if they traveled 50 miles or less. Farther than that puts them at "tourist". So someone from Chula Vista might have a SoCal AP but I'm not considering that person "local" even if that person goes 25 times a year, or doesn't use a pass for extended, vacation type trips, but rather a series of day trips. I'm guessing some folks are considering people locals as long as they live somewhere in southern California? I realize the conversation is more about the culture at the resort, which might mean "locals" really implies "people who come regularly" vs "people who only come on a trip they consider a vacation or some sort of special event" regardless of frequency (or precise geography).

Re: Is Disneyland a tourist destination, or a local park? What's your view about it?

Quote Originally Posted by Pinrar View Post
    Its a locals park and I don't see that changing. Why would anyone but a fan ever chose DL over WDW? Its bigger, flashier, has more amenities, and is built from the ground up as a "resort". Plus DL is no longer the novelty that used to draw kings and queens from all over the world. That DL is never coming back. Not when there are soon to be 6 disney parks around the world and an ever improving Universal.
    Because people actually go to California on vacation for more then just theme parks, but may include a theme park or 2 into their vacation.

I say there is way more to do in California overall then just theme parks, where you go to Orlando pretty much just for theme parks.

You can do Disneyland Parks in 2 days, if your on a weeks vacation to So. California, I don't think the average tourist is going to stay for a week, but will plan other outings in So. California.

Average hotel stay in Anaheim is only 3.9 days.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilkinson View Post
    While I'll agree with you that there's no way DLR is going to turn into WDW that's kind of the whole point. People need to think outside of the WDW bubble. You CAN actually spend a week in resort that is only a fraction of the size of WDW and there are plenty of people out there who would prefer to. People like me who dislike the spread-out-ness of WDW and all the time it wastes just to get around. People like me who are just not that interested in what WDW has to offer or dislike the weather or types of crowds or whatever. Disneyland Resort could very well offer an attractive alternative to the WDW vacation experience. Also maybe the reason people do other things when they visit Disneyland isn't because there's more to do in the area (even if there is) but because there is less to do at Disneyland Resort? If they are from out-state or even from up-state and are making Disneyland their main destination and yet they going to these other places you talk about then there's no reason to believe that they could not be enticed to stay longer at the Disneyland Resort if you give them a reason to.
    I do agree that some people would be perfectly happy to spend a week in the resort, and I also prefer Disneyland's compact size to WDW's sprawl. However, I think the thing is that there's always going to be something happening outside DLR that will pique a visitor's interest, no matter how compelling it is, whereas that's not the case in WDW.

I look at DLR as being like Disneyland Paris, in that it's outside a fascinating metropolis, and that metropolis is always going to steal focus.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

I live in Newport Beach. Trust me that there are plenty of people who go on vacations to So Cal who never step foot anywhere near the DLR.

• Super Genius

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian View Post
    The crowds at WDW always seem much more polite and well-behaved when compared to DL crowds. I had way more random conversations with tourists at WDW than I ever have at DL.
    I also saw a lot less of the 'MEMEMEME' attitude and actions that I see at DL. Never have I seen some poor CM being verbally attacked for simply doing their job (such as not letting kids on a ride they are too short for, or for not choosing their kid for a show), or people demanding something for nothing for a trivial reason at WDW. (Even the notorious Brasilian tour groups are not as bad as some of the people I have seen at DL)
    I can explain that. It's because Californians in general are rude. I have heard that from everyone who has moved here from out of state, and I myself have left California and come back twice. I knew a guy from Texas who moved back because he couldn't stand Californians. I talked to two guys who were only visiting from Dallas and they formed that opinion about Californians in only a few days of visiting.
    When I go to Disneyland, I tune my FRS Radio to channel 2, without a quiet code. They're faster than a cell phone and you can talk to a whole group at a time, and you don't have to get everyone's cell phone number in advance.

• Heavy Breather

I think for the locals it is more of the hometown get together place.

For tourists it's an amazing piece of history that makes up a day or two of a bigger California vacation.

So I guess you could say both.

• Minion

I was at the park the other day with a friend of mine from South America, and we had this very same discussion.
    Being from Brazil, he's been to WDW several times, but this was his first visit to the original. He loved it.
    In our conversing he asked if Disneyland got a lot of international travelers like WDW.
    I had told him the Asian market (at least when I worked there) was usually pretty strong. Even after Tokyo was built.
    The market from Australia and the South Pacific, in general, were fairly strong too.
    As some have already mentioned on here, Disneyland already has a built in attendance by virtue of being in the middle of a huge metropolitan area.
    Orlando comes nowhere close in that sense.
    By building multiple venues within close proximity to one another in FL, they created a world of Disney that allows people to have multiple day stays and still maybe not see everything.
    The one thing I thought was interesting though was how my buddy talked about friends of his from South America who didn't even know there was a Disneyland in Anaheim.
    Now I would think this sounds strange if it weren't for the fact that in my travels to Europe, I've met Europeans (including some of my guides) who have asked me about California and were surprised to hear there was a park in California too. One of the exceptions was the woman working in the Matterhorn Museum in Zermatt who was very aware of Walt's trip to that region.
    Disneyland is largely a locals park as evidenced by the large number of APs. But it does attract an international set, as well.
    When I was at the park, APs were common, but not as common as they are now.
    And there was always a strong international group of visitors from Asia, Mexico, western Canada, and Central America. And we got our share of French and German visitors also.
    To my friend, he said California (to many South Americans) seems like this far off land of fantasy in and of itself. NY and FL are their primary destinations while CA seems to be this world of imagination that exists in some other galaxy. They're intrigued by it, many of them would love to come here some day, but many have not made it here yet.

Cali <3, But You'll find me in Agrabah sometimes

I would say that over the years, it has been more of a local's park.
    Princess Jasmine's trainee

Hello guys, I'm new to MiceChat.
    DL is definitely a tourist destination. It ranks near the top of most visited rides every year. The level of their rides definitely exceeds that of a 'local park'. There are thousands among thousands of AP's, but there are among many tourists from around the world. Foreign tourists don't necessarily visit a local park. but DL is visited by everyone.
    There is no doubt in my mind that it is one of the best tourist destinations.

• Donald's #1 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by MikeChat View Post
    I can explain that. It's because Californians in general are rude. I have heard that from everyone who has moved here from out of state, and I myself have left California and come back twice. .
    Weird! I had never thought about Californians being rude. Quite the contrary, IMHO.

Actually, I've yet to find a group of people in the States I'd think of as rude.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    Weird! I had never thought about Californians being rude. Quite the contrary, IMHO.

Actually, I've yet to find a group of people in the States I'd think of as rude.
    I agree with this. I moved to LA from another huge city and I don't find the people rude at all. I think a lot of the perception of Californians/New Yorkers/etc. as "rude" comes from the fact that the cultural mores are just different.

• Hooterville, USA

Californians are rude?

A lot of people residing in California, are from other states. So pipe down about us being rude.

Wow, that was rude of me.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Super Genius

I forgot to mention, that based on my dollar bill "direct hits" on wheresgeorge.com, it seems a majority of people there are not really "local" but regional: Santa Barbara to San Diego, out to Palm Springs.

I just today called a friend of mine in Minneapolis to wish him a happy Thanksgiving, and I mentioned this thread. He was in California for 2 years (which is how I know him) and moved back mainly because he didn't like Californians. He'd rather tolerate the snow and the -40 winters and hot humid summers.

Maybe "rude" is a bit strong...I think "unfriendly" is a better term, and definitely very cliquish.
    When I go to Disneyland, I tune my FRS Radio to channel 2, without a quiet code. They're faster than a cell phone and you can talk to a whole group at a time, and you don't have to get everyone's cell phone number in advance.

•   
    • Minion

You know, the "unfriendly" thing comes up a lot when one compares urban dwellers to people from, say, the Midwest. People from NY/CA/Chicago/etc. might be less likely to chat with strangers on an airplane, for instance, but it doesn't mean they're unfriendly. It likely means they need more time to get to know people before they're open with them. If I'm at Disneyland and someone tells me their life story as soon as they meet me, I know right away they're not from CA/NY/etc.

It's not rudeness, though. It's just a different way of interacting with people. I can't even think of all the times random strangers - locals - have helped me at Disneyland and elsewhere around LA.

I am kind of shocked that people consider Californians rude. I have never encountered rude or unfriendly people in my trips to California. Actually, I have found it to be the opposite. Especially driving on the freeways. People always let me in when I signal for a lane change. I need a bumper sticker that says" tourist"on my rental.
    Anyway...for us, DL is a tourist destination for extended holidays. Our stays are about 10-12 days. We are very happy to stroll around DL for days, just soaking up the magic. We really don't care about travelling around SoCal, although I may drive up to the Hollywood sign this time, just to check out the area and the road leading up there.
    We are also deluxe AP holders. It just makes sense given the number of days we spend in the parks. In fact there are quite a few AP holders from Canada.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast