Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

• Donald's #1 Fan

Is Disneyland a tourist destination, or a local park? What's your view about it?

Several threads I've read here got me thinking.

I love DL, and although I like WDW, I've made no effort whatsoever in visiting that resort in 12 years (it may change on January next year, but because of work).

Anyway, living kinda far away from either park - most people around here always ask me why is it that I go to DL in the first place, when Orlando is nearer from me, and has a ton more things to do. Basically nobody understands why I'd go to California unless it is for visiting other places rather than DL.

I have around 4 - 5 days vacation time a year, and I can't use it all at one time (I usually take two mini-vacations), so in a way, Orlando is completely out of the question.

But the real reason is, well, Disneyland feels like home, and Orlando is pretty much a tourist trap - a beautiful one. Nevertheless, I've been thinking - I always see relaxed people at Disneyland. There's plenty of them, but nobody seems to be in a rush, everyone has a different attitude - a positive one - as in "we've got time". People in Orlando, as far as I can recall, are always running, trying to ride as many attractions as possible, hurrying, etc.

I can only imagine this is because most DL visitors are APs, and most visitors to Orlando are tourists. And this may be the exact reason why I can't stand WDW. Not because of the park, but because of the people and their mindset. I find DL to be extremely relaxing, and WDW hectic and rushed. I've also come to believe people at DL are better behaved because they don't have a need to see it all in a fixed time frame. Or because most of them are old-timers who actually have respect and admiration for the park.

Just my thoughts. So, do you think DL is a tourist destination? Am I wrong, and thinking about the park with far too much admiration?

• Done with MC.

Re: Is Disneyland a tourist destination, or a local park? What's your view about it?

People come from all over the world just to spend time at DLR.
    No question about it, it's a destination unto itself.

Re: Is Disneyland a tourist destination, or a local park? What's your view about it?

My experiences at WDW are the opposite of yours (and the opposite of what I experience at DL)

The crowds at WDW always seem much more polite and well-behaved when compared to DL crowds. I had way more random conversations with tourists at WDW than I ever have at DL.
    I also saw a lot less of the 'MEMEMEME' attitude and actions that I see at DL. Never have I seen some poor CM being verbally attacked for simply doing their job (such as not letting kids on a ride they are too short for, or for not choosing their kid for a show), or people demanding something for nothing for a trivial reason at WDW. (Even the notorious Brasilian tour groups are not as bad as some of the people I have seen at DL)

DL is both a tourist destination AND a locals park, but it does seem to draw heavily on the locals (AP numbers and attendance prove this)

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Disneyland is probably 70% a locals park and 30% a tourist destination. And therein lies the primary problem - the suits in Burbank would rather see those numbers switched around. But it is near impossible to do so since Disneyland and the understanding of theme parks is so entrenched in the local Southern California experience and culture.

Disney is now making changes now that will take a generation to convert the park to a more tourist destination. And those changes don't set too well with those who have grown up their entire lives considering Disneyland as the locals park that for the most part still is.

• former CM

I've come to prefer Disneyland's "we don't even own our whole block" to WDW's 43 (?) square miles because I don't feel like I'm trapped by avaricious executives at Disneyland. We could alway walk across Harbor Blvd. to eat if we wanted to.

And, yeah, being a local and knowing we could see any missed attractions during our next visit makes me feel less rushed. And I can explore many excellent little details at the resort like the carolers who start singing in the Disneyland hotel lobbies today or tomorrow at the latest. (I called and forgot.)
    Last edited by jcruise86; 11-27-2013 at 04:13 PM.

• The doctor is in

I think over the years it has started leaning towards a local park, but that doesn't mean it isn't a tourist destination. You encounter people from all over the world on any given trip to the parks. Disneyland has become somewhat of a staple to Southern California and there are local residents who will go whenever they can and want, but if it was just a local park aimed at local residents there wouldn't be people traveling just to see it.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

It's more of a local park for me (I live about 20 min away), but with tourist destination prices, especially these days lol

why can't it be both?

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by PinBrian View Post
    My experiences at WDW are the opposite of yours (and the opposite of what I experience at DL)

The crowds at WDW always seem much more polite and well-behaved when compared to DL crowds. I had way more random conversations with tourists at WDW than I ever have at DL.
    I also saw a lot less of the 'MEMEMEME' attitude and actions that I see at DL. Never have I seen some poor CM being verbally attacked for simply doing their job (such as not letting kids on a ride they are too short for, or for not choosing their kid for a show), or people demanding something for nothing for a trivial reason at WDW. (Even the notorious Brasilian tour groups are not as bad as some of the people I have seen at DL)

DL is both a tourist destination AND a locals park, but it does seem to draw heavily on the locals (AP numbers and attendance prove this)
    ^This.

I also find that the vibe at DisneyWorld to be flat out happier...most everyone there are on vacation, not on their way home from work.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Minion

It's both.

• the rockawho?

it is both....disneyland brings in a ton of the tourism which funds the general fund for the city of anaheim....the general fund pays for most of the services in the city....

it is a local park as well...there are a ton of annual pass holders there each day

im curious what is the percentage of aps and ticket purchases that enter the park each day...

• Production Designer

It functions as a tourist destination as all theme parks do.

• Rock Star Minion

It should be a tourist destination, for both tourists and locals.

Unfortunately, it is more of a locals' park, due to the present ticketing strategies.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by EvilRocketeer View Post
    im curious what is the percentage of aps and ticket purchases that enter the park each day...
    Me too.

• Foolish Mortal

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    Me too.
    same here. i feel like it is a destination for both tourists and locals. i'd love to see the numbers of AP entries v.s. ParkHopper or Daily Passports. (I understand that an APH can still be a tourist)

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast