Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Likely Making Changes

Blog Entries

Re: old Fantasyland Skyway station to be demolished after holidays

Quote Originally Posted by OliviaVonDrake View Post
    Not sure why I'm being being challenged over my opinion on this, but I guess I'll try to elaborate.
    The whole "WDI has no plans for the structure and is not INTERESTED in keeping it any longer" says a whole lot to me. It basically describes the current state of the park, WDI and TDA. The most recent changes to the park have clearly illustrated this attitude. The people responsible for Disneyland aren't particularly INTERESTED in it other than as something they can use to make as much money as possible in the short term.

I have no interest in visiting what Disneyland is becoming and it breaks my heart.
    They just spent billions in California Adventure and both parks are seeing a level of upkeep not seen in the last 30 years... The valid complaint about Disneyland at the moment is how all of the additions have to be franchised based to even get looked at.

That being said, the several huge refurbishment projects that started with the Jungle Cruise and Space Mt. around the time of the 50th and continue even today with BTMRR show that Disney is very interested in keeping up Walt's park in light of the billions spent at DCA. What D or E ticket hasn't had a major renovation project in the last five years aside from Indy, which sees after hours maintenance and shorter closures due to demand?

Off the top of my head:

-New/Complete Refurb since 05'
    -Planned Project
    -Seasonal maintenance
    * Partial Maintenance/Updates

Disneyland Railroad*
    Astro Orbitor
    Autopia
    Disneyland Monorail
    Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage
    Innoventions*
    Space Mountain
    Star Tours—The Adventures Continue
    Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters
    Captain EO Tribute
    Alice in Wonderland
    Disney Princess' Fantasy Faire
    Dumbo the Flying Elephant
    Fantasyland Theater
    It's a Small World
    King Arthur Carrousel
    Mad Tea Party
    Matterhorn Bobsleds
    Mr. Toad's Wild Ride (?)
    Peter Pan's Flight (?)
    Pinocchio's Daring Journey (?)
    Pixie Hollow
    Snow White's Scary Adventures
    Storybook Land Canal Boats/Casey Jr. Circus Train
    Big Thunder Mountain Railroad
    Fantasmic!
    Mark Twain Riverboat
    Pirate's Lair on Tom Sawyer Island
    Sailing Ship Columbia
    Indiana Jones Adventure: Temple of the Forbidden Eye*
    Jungle Cruise
    Tarzan's Treehouse
    Walt Disney's Enchanted Tiki Room (?)
    Haunted Mansion*
    Pirates of the Caribbean
    Davy Crockett's Explorer Canoes
    Splash Mountain
    The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
    Chip 'n Dale's Treehouse (?)
    Donald's Boat
    Gadget's Go Coaster
    Goofy's Playhouse
    Mickey's House and Meet Mickey
    Minnie's House*
    Roger Rabbit's Car Toon Spin (?)

• Nic

Not sure why I'm being being challenged over my opinion on this, but I guess I'll try to elaborate.
    The whole "WDI has no plans for the structure and is not INTERESTED in keeping it any longer" says a whole lot to me. It basically describes the current state of the park, WDI and TDA. The most recent changes to the park have clearly illustrated this attitude. The people responsible for Disneyland aren't particularly INTERESTED in it other than as something they can use to make as much money as possible in the short term.

I have no interest in visiting what Disneyland is becoming and it breaks my heart.
    How do we know they don't have plans for it or the area around it? The same exact blogger reported that Rainbow Ridge would be "torn down" last year, but failed to report that it would be replaced. Also, doesn't the fact that Disney wants to demolish a building that serves no purpose show that they want the park to remain clean and not full of run down buildings?
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Minion

The building has just been sitting there, though. Is it weird that they have no interest in continuing to let a building just sit and rot? Isn't that a good thing? There's no use for it. Now if they wanted to spruce it up and maintain it, although it's not being used, that's different. It's literally just sitting there. I'm don't understand why tearing down an old, unused building makes you not want to visit the park.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    doesn't the fact that Disney wants to demolish a building that serves no purpose show that they want the park to remain clean and not full of run down buildings?
    No, it shows that they have no interest in maintaining structures that only exist to add immersive theming, detail and atmosphere. Cascade Peak anyone?

• Not the Hawkguy

No, it shows that they have no interest in maintaining structures that only exist to add immersive theming, detail and atmosphere. Cascade Peak anyone?
    What immersive theming are you talking about? It was an empty ride building located on a hill with a theming that stylistically clashed with everything else in the land it sat in. Frankly it's more of a surprise that they didn't tear it down when they took out the Skyway in the first place.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Nirya View Post
    What immersive theming are you talking about? It was an empty ride building located on a hill with a theming that stylistically clashed with everything else in the land it sat in. Frankly it's more of a surprise that they didn't tear it down when they took out the Skyway in the first place.
    I think what OliviaVonDrake is trying to say is that the building serves a thematic purpose even though it is not in use. It is a Swiss chalet that complements the European village theming of Fantasyland. Kinda like with Cascade Peak before it was torn down. There were no Nature's Wonderland trains running through it anymore during the 80's and 90's, but it still provided a pretty thematic element to Frontierland. However, I do believe they could and should make use out of the Skyway building, but first it should be restored and brought up to code.

• curiouser and curiouser

When I was there last I thought that the area could be used to house a small attraction like a smaller ferris wheel. That could be cool.

• Nic

I'm sorry, but Fantasyland won't become 100x better to the casual visitor if there's a Swiss chalet -- you hardly even notice it today. Disney should be focusing on things casual visitors actually care about, including new rides, easy to see thematic elements, and overall guest experience. Focusing on a dilapidated ride building should be the least of their concerns.
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by DLcub View Post
    When I was there last I thought that the area could be used to house a small attraction like a smaller ferris wheel. That could be cool.
    No Ferris Wheels in Disneyland proper, please!

But that doesn't mean they can't put something there in the future. No reason they can't dig out the area and create a more permanent Tangled meet and greet by recreating the valley where Rapunzel's tower is located, and having the character at the base of the tower.

• Minion

cool video from one of the threads Wiggins posted.

Abandoned Skyway Station of Disneyland - YouTube

• враг народа

Blog Entries

I'm sorry, but Fantasyland won't become 100x better to the casual visitor if there's a Swiss chalet -- you hardly even notice it today. Disney should be focusing on things casual visitors actually care about, including new rides, easy to see thematic elements, and overall guest experience. Focusing on a dilapidated ride building should be the least of their concerns.
    Disneyland became such a cultural icon by focusing on things that casual visitors did not care about. Details. The Disney Difference. Nothing of great quality ever comes from assuming the ignorance of your customer.

•   
    • Minion

I do get what is being said about the Skyway station adding to the ambiance, but to be honest, it's not something most people ever notice. It's like an Easter Egg for hardcore Disneyland fans, or those who remember the Skyway, to find. You can very easily walk down the path to BTR without ever seeing it and the trees obscure the view sometimes even if you ARE looking for it. And if you're on the rides closest to it - Casey Jr. - you don't see it at all unless you are looking in the opposite direction of all the ride features.

With all of the other details - which I fully agree ARE important, and really set Disney apart - you don't have to go hunting to see them. You might not notice all of the graves in the back of the Haunted Mansion queue but they're part of the overall environment. Or the sea urchin stanchion tops at The Little Mermaid - you might only casually take note of them but they're right there. I guess what I'm trying to get at is the fact that these other details, even if they aren't apparent to casual viewers at first, are part of the fabric of active and existing rides/lands/areas.

Whereas in contrast the Skyway station is an area where nobody ever goes and no one really sees. I don't even think you can see it from the Matterhorn right now because of the trees, and that is the one place where seeing the Swiss chalet would make sense.

I like seeing it sitting on the hill, but I don't see it as being a huge or even a significant factor on the ambiance of the area overall, the way CoA was.
    Last edited by Malina; 12-08-2013 at 03:31 PM.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

• Banned User

Focusing on a dilapidated ride building should be the least of their concerns.
    Eh? Nowhere did I say that Disney should FOCUS on the building. I am proposing that maintaining the structure would be preferable to tearing it down only for the reason that they don't want to maintain it.
    Removing landmarks and details in Disneyland, no matter how hidden, with no intention to put anything in their place is always a bad move. I can't imagine seeing this as a positive or a form of "plussing".

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    I don't even think you can see it from the Matterhorn right now because of the trees, and that is the one place where seeing the Swiss chalet would make sense.
    Not quite. The Village Haus and Pinocchio's Daring Journey right across the way continue the general Alpine feel. In fact the film Pinocchio takes place in the Italian Alps. It makes perfect sense thematically.

•   
    • Minion

Eh? Nowhere did I say that Disney should FOCUS on the building. I am proposing that maintaining the structure would be preferable to tearing it down only for the reason that they don't want to maintain it.
    Removing landmarks and details in Disneyland, no matter how hidden, with no intention to put anything in their place is always a bad move. I can't imagine seeing this as a positive or a form of "plussing".
    I do agree with this. I think the problem is that it sounds like, in this case, that they apparently haven't done ANY maintenance on it in a good 20 years and now the building sounds as though it's in pretty bad shape. Tearing it down might be a safety issue at this point even if Disney isn't coming out and saying it publicly.
    Merida looks like this. Not a Barbie doll!

Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 789101112 LastLast