Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast

Re: old Fantasyland Skyway station to be demolished after holidays

Does anyone know what happened to the Tomorrowland Skyway Station? Embarrassingly, I haven't been over there in years and/or haven't looked.

For structural reasons, it can't be removed, but obviously, all the Skyway machinery was removed... and the line railings? and the stairs? Is it maybe a storage area now?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Does anyone know what happened to the Tomorrowland Skyway Station? Embarrassingly, I haven't been over there in years and/or haven't looked.

For structural reasons, it can't be removed, but obviously, all the Skyway machinery was removed... and the line railings? and the stairs? Is it maybe a storage area now?
    I'm very curious about this as well. If it still exists, it will be one of the last remnants of the skyway if the Fantasyland station is removed.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    I'm very curious about this as well. If it still exists, it will be one of the last remnants of the skyway if the Fantasyland station is removed.
    Wasn't there a thread a while back (want to say 3-4 months) with them scaffolding and repainting the stairway at some point recently?
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Wasn't there a thread a while back (want to say 3-4 months) with them scaffolding and repainting the stairway at some point recently?
    I think it was Ron W who posted that. Is that stairway for the skyway station?

• Johnny and Me!

Yes, the stairway is still there. The Skyway station was walled up and the second floor was turned into the Rocket Rods garage. The bathrooms that made up the first floor are still there. You can see the stairs in this picture:

disneyland skyway tomorowland | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

• Resident Ghost

I'm extremely no one remembers the words of Walt Disney himself: "Disneyland will never be completed. It will continue to grow as long as there is imagination left in the world."

Disneyland is not, and should never be, a museum. I mean, it would be one thing to tear out and demolish, say, PotC as it gets HEAVY, HEAVY traffic and is a beloved ride. But they aren't. They're tearing down a building which has been closed and not maintained for almost 20 years. It's just about impossible to see it anymore, too. It's time for it to go.

The sake of preserving the past is why we really haven't had a new, completely original ride at Disneyland since BLAB in 2005.

• failure for lunch

Quote Originally Posted by Walt's Ghost View Post
    The sake of preserving the past is why we really haven't had a new, completely original ride at Disneyland since BLAB in 2005.
    According to whom?
    Bullets for Breakfast
    Join the party. Face the music.

• Resident Ghost

According to a list of new rides ordered by date... I know I left out Star Tours 2.0 or Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, but those were old rides with new updates.

According to a list of new rides ordered by date... I know I left out Star Tours 2.0 or Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage, but those were old rides with new updates.
    I suspect the question, "According to whom?" wasn't referring to the list of rides and when they were built, but your assertion that the reason there haven't been any new rides is a mindless preservation of the past...that if Disney would just be willing to tear more things down, we'd somehow be getting a constant influx of new attractions.

It's oversimplifying things, to say the least.

If Pirates isn't one of your targets, what are the attractions or structures you think should be bulldozed that are currently being preserved "merely" for nostalgia's sake?

I'm not sure that Walt quote says what you think it says. He says Disneyland will never be complete, that it will continue to grow...he doesn't say anything about "Don't get too attached, because Disneyland will change constantly."
    Last edited by emwhysee; 12-14-2013 at 12:02 AM. Reason: typo...DOH!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by emwhysee View Post
    I suspect the question, "According to whom?" wasn't referring to the list of rides and when they were built, but your assertion that the reason there haven't been any new rides is a mindless preservation of the past...that if Disney would just be willing to tear more things down, we'd somehow be getting a constant influx of new attractions.

It's oversimplifying things, to say the least.

If Pirates isn't one of your targets, what are the attractions or structures you think should be bulldozed that are currently being preserved "merely" for nostalgia's sake?

I'm not sure that Walt quote says what you think it says. He says Disneyland will never be complete, that it will continue to grow...he doesn't say anything about "Don't get too attached, because Disneyland will change constantly."
    Exactly, people use the first part of the quote in their argument that Disneyland will always change no matter what. However, when the change fails to improve on what was there before, then I would rather keep the old thing rather than "moving on."

• Resident Ghost

And how does keeping a dilapidated 19-year-old show building you can only see if you know exactly where to look lead to growth? It doesn't, it keeps growth from happening. All I'm trying to say is that it's not being used at all and people are trying to say that Disney should keep it up, even though if it did, it WOULD keep Disney from growing.

And how does keeping a dilapidated 19-year-old show building you can only see if you know exactly where to look lead to growth? It doesn't, it keeps growth from happening. All I'm trying to say is that it's not being used at all and people are trying to say that Disney should keep it up, even though if it did, it WOULD keep Disney from growing.
    I didn't say a thing about keeping the Skyway Station.

I'm talking about your larger assertion that preservation is the reason there haven't been any new attractions since 2005, and your use of Walt's words to support that argument:

• Resident Ghost

I didn't say a thing about keeping the Skyway Station.

I'm talking about your larger assertion that preservation is the reason there haven't been any new attractions since 2005, and your use of Walt's words to support that argument:
    First of all,I know you didn't, but others have been, and that was more a response to that mindset.

And honestly, I don't really know why there haven't been new attractions. What I said was a bit of an exaggeration. That being said, I do believe the idea of preservation is partially the reason why we have Submarine Voyage still and haven't seen new rides. At this point, Disneyland can't really grow outwards, so the only way to build more rides is to close older ones... or find ways of using land that once housed something like... say... a skyway station.

• Minion

First of all,I know you didn't, but others have been, and that was more a response to that mindset.

And honestly, I don't really know why there haven't been new attractions. What I said was a bit of an exaggeration. That being said, I do believe the idea of preservation is partially the reason why we have Submarine Voyage still and haven't seen new rides. At this point, Disneyland can't really grow outwards, so the only way to build more rides is to close older ones... or find ways of using land that once housed something like... say... a skyway station.
    There is still expansion room in Frontierland behind BTMRR.

Re: Old Fantasyland Skyway station to be demolished after holidays

Hang on, now I'm confused -- the subs are your example of how preservation has gotten in the way of getting new rides? The subs are the very example many people use for where they FAILED to preserve something, and ended up with a NEW, but less successful attraction. The only things about the Submarine Voyage they actually preserved were the vehicles and the lagoon.

Look, I don't think you're wrong to advocate for taking a fresh look at unused or underutilized real estate within the park for expansion possibilities. My only issue was with the sweeping statement about preservation being the enemy of progress. The fact is, they aren't mutually exclusive.

Page 11 of 12 FirstFirst ... 89101112 LastLast