Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112

Re: Old Fantasyland Skyway station to be demolished after holidays

Lots of interesting back and forth.

I think if Disney could have "easily" placed a new shop/attraction/eating spot in the chalet they would have.

The point is, it wasn't easy. Some of the issues that caused Skyway to close to begin with still exist and there are no easy solutions.

Removing it removes a potential liability. Someone in this thread I saw a video from someone who obviously trespassed to get the video. Had they gotten injured doing so, Disney could be found liable for damages.

So if using it is not a viable option and maintaining it is not an option, removal is the only option left.

Whether or not they reuse the area isn't really the issue, it is that status quo is no longer acceptable. Why now? Who knows, maybe there is more urgency than in the past, but I can't really see how it effects anyones experience in the park, good or bad.

• Resident Ghost

Quote Originally Posted by emwhysee View Post
    Hang on, now I'm confused -- the subs are your example of how preservation has gotten in the way of getting new rides? The subs are the very example many people use for where they FAILED to preserve something, and ended up with a NEW, but less successful attraction. The only things about the Submarine Voyage they actually preserved were the vehicles and the lagoon.

Look, I don't think you're wrong to advocate for taking a fresh look at unused or underutilized real estate within the park for expansion possibilities. My only issue was with the sweeping statement about preservation being the enemy of progress. The fact is, they aren't mutually exclusive.
    They replaced the submarines with submarines. They could have created something entirely new, but they didn't. They knew people would love that the submarines were coming back because of nostalgia.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Walt's Ghost View Post
    They replaced the submarines with submarines. They could have created something entirely new, but they didn't. They knew people would love that the submarines were coming back because of nostalgia.
    Most of Disneyland is about nostalgia.

Quote Originally Posted by Walt's Ghost View Post
    They (WDI) had contemplated a roller coaster that went through plexiglass tubes underwater for some portion in the sub lagoon, but were shot down by Eisner & Co. because it was deemed too expensive.

• Artistic integrity

Re: old Fantasyland Skyway station to be demolished after holidays

Quote Originally Posted by Rob F View Post
    I'm in charge of that Storybook Land preservation at Walt's Barn in Griffith Park. Yes, there are groups like the Carolwood Foundation that would take on a salvage effort to preserve the station. I'd even be interested in the feasibility of using part of the station as a shelter for the Storybook Land village display at the barn. If the entire building is being scrapped, then even saving portions of the decorative facade would be worthwile.
    Hello Rob ... Very nice to hear from the one in charge of the Storybook Land preservation effort. I'm grateful for people like yourself .. who are committed to holding on to, and preserving aspects of Disneyland's history from being lost forever.

I have no idea .. of any preservationists who have contacted Disney, to ask for some sort of deal, to not completely demolish the station, but rather disassemble the ornate sections, carefully ... that can be preserved .. and re-assembled some how, at a later time.

I get the feeling ... someone or some people are on it, since the demolition has been called off for now.

According to MintCrocodile's website:

http://mintcrocodile.blogspot.com

So apparently the Skyway Chalet has been spared from demolition ... for now
    I've been behind in this topic .. catching up with 6 pages of posts ... and I want to remind everyone 2 very important things:

ONE: It's the hidden details is what makes Disneyland special, and separates it from other amusement parks around the world.

TWO: I'd like to remind people what Disney usually does with structures that are removed, that once served as an aesthetic piece to the surrounding theming. What did the Bonita Tower Waterfall lend way to? Grass! What has the fort on the island lent to? Closed doors to your face - Never to come in again. What did they replace Cascade Peek with? Plants! What did the Motor Boat Cruise lagoon in the section that goes near the sub lagoon give to - Grass! And you know what Disney will most likely put in the Fantasyland Skyway station location? A flat hill top!

One by one .... Disney removes those nice details to be overtaken by pretty much nothing. But letting overgrown vegetation take over their locations. Don't believe me? Go back to my list. And let me know when it finally sinks into you.

This is why some of us get upset. If all those previous things that were shuttered had something new in their place, even if it took a few years ... we'd be fine with it.

But that's not the case!

As tree branches are being cut back .. the rich details of the chalet are being revealed.

I understand the sentiment ... that if they are not going to reuse the chalet in some other new way .... then why keep it.
    By the same token though .... Get rid of it for what? OH .. because trees, grass, shrubs, and emptiness are what drive you to spend $92 admissions, right?

I'll make a guess that the hold-off on demolishing it .. is because of people like Rob, who are on to the company, to preserving the most important pieces to the structure ... get them put away where the elements can't rout them anymore. And someday refurbish them. And rebuild the chalet in a different way ... as a museum piece. Where? No clue. Or .. maybe Disney is having second thoughts about removing it.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Artistic integrity

As a separate post ... I have to reiterate:

Everyone has their armchair ideas of what to do with the location of the Skyway.

In reality though - I'm putting my money on - That it becomes an empty hilltop with nothing, but overgrown pine trees ......from here ... till doomsday!

That's the Disney way .. today .. and indefinitely! Till the day we ever get to see a new management with a different attitude.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

Re: old Fantasyland Skyway station to be demolished after holidays

I was thrilled to share this detail with my girlfriend early in the year. Even though I never got to ride it, seeing it, and being able to read the mural on it just gives me a fantastic feeling. It's almost like the ride is still there.

So they're cutting the trees back? I went years without knowing this was there, now it looks like you can plainly see it.
    Last edited by C-HOX; 02-11-2014 at 08:13 PM.

Is that area completely blocked off? Or is it accessible so I can have a nice quiet lunch there :]

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Warlock128 View Post
    Is that area completely blocked off? Or is it accessible so I can have a nice quiet lunch there :]
    it's blocked off by an ODV stand

• Artistic integrity

Some tree branches have been cut.

I'm anxious to see the next update from either Mint Crocodile or Disneyland Live websites ... to see if more branches have been trimmed back.

I've got one story that I don't recall ever having shared with this website -

It's about a letter I wrote to Disneyland management, following the closure of the Skyway .. and wondering what they were going to do with it.

Long before the internet .. when people actually wrote letters that were put in the mail ... (imagine that? ) ... I wrote to the DL president at the time. This would have been about a year or two after the Skyway closure of '94.

So, I asked what was to happen to the lovely chalet, as it was a nice looking building with several nice ornate features. I said - What about a kiosk inside serving up lattes, cappuccinos, espressos, with a few seats overlooking Fantasyland below. Mixed into the Old Bavarian/European Village design of the 1983 Fantasyland .. I thought how could they not do some Old Europe thing like serving up nice coffee drinks.

Weeks later, I was surprised to get a response back. IN FACT ... I was surprised to get a letter .. that was not "rubber stamped" by some lower department ... or even by the secretary ... but the president himself .. with his inked signature .. which surprised me.

He said ... and I'm paraphrasing since I don't have the letter here .. " Our plans are to turn it into a wedding chapel. "

And aside from a few other sentences saying thanks for my interest in the matter ... there was that signature down below ............

You're going to gag -

signed

Paul Pressler

Well ... I wonder what happened with their Wedding Chapel idea. Imagine getting your wedding looking down below on the lovely Fantasyland village .. with the Matterhorn in the distance.

That was about the time the Disney Co. was ramping-up on having weddings within the DLR. The DLH acquisition was not too far off at that time .. and today, the department that handles weddings is a niche industry of it's own.

So there you have it -

My own proof .. that Disneyland Management DID have an idea up their sleaves. But for some unknown reason .. it got shelved.

It's a lovely idea of theirs. They should do it - rather than tear it down .. and end up with a barren hilltop .. which is pretty likely!
    MY SIGNATURE:

• Minion

I honestly feel like the building either needs to remain or needs to be removed and replaced with landscaping. As much as it pains me to see some DL history disappearing with nothing replacing it, I don't see any practical use for it. The location at which it's at is not ADA accessible at the moment and there isn't really an attraction that could fit in there unless they expand Storybook Land or Casey Jr. to that space, which would eliminate the ADA problem and still make use of the space. Don't get me wrong though, I really wish it would stay and they could restore the building.
    "Hello folks, welcome aboard the Disneyland Railroad..."
    "The Gods have been angered by all the celebratin'..."

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    In reality though - I'm putting my money on - That it becomes an empty hilltop with nothing, but overgrown pine trees ......from here ... till doomsday!

That's the Disney way .. today .. and indefinitely! Till the day we ever get to see a new management with a different attitude.
    My money is on a Chibi Marvel Character meet & greet. You know, so it fits with the theme...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

It makes sense that they're taking it out, although I always liked being able to see part of an old ride that I wasn't old enough to remember riding. I just really hope once they do take out the building they open up that area and stop using the food and toy carts and put in something permanent, I think that would really spread out the crowds.
    "Where would the fun be if we already knew what there is to know?" - Dr. Walter Bishop, Fringe

Page 12 of 12 FirstFirst ... 29101112