Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Re: old Fantasyland Skyway station to be demolished after holidays

Meg probably wants massive themed restrooms. Those are considered E-Tix in WDW don't ya know....

• Unhelpful User

Mike Chat I never said the building should be allowed to be torn down because of it's age. That whole age the never crossed my mind. How long it's not been functioning did. As for calculating the historical value of a thing? That's subjective. Even so comparing this little building to the Louvre, Eiffel Tower and Pyramids is a bit of a stretch don't you think? But this gets to long standing argument among Disneyland fans regarding preservation and improvements/changes. Some people seem somewhat irrational when they go ballistic over any and all changes -no matter how insignificant. Others do not really care and will basically eat anything that's on the menu. Others are more rational and recognize that change is both inevitable and necessary. But think if they are going to change things it should always be for the better. And again that's kind of subjective. I know some people just hate that the Carnation Plaza Gardens was replaced with a Princess meet & greet but I bet many little girls and boys do not. And I'll bet when they grow up they will have found memories of Fantasy Faire and will be delighted to take their own children there.
    Last edited by Mark Wilkinson; 11-28-2013 at 02:00 PM.

• Indiana Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilkinson View Post
    I know some people just hate that the Carnation Plaza Gardens was replaced with a Princess meet & greet but I doubt many little do. And I'll bet when they grow up they will have found memories of Fantasy Faire and will be delighted to take their own children there.
    And then they'll tear it down.

• Unhelpful User

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    And then they'll tear it down.
    Ha. Yes, maybe they will. Look I'm not delighted to see the past always being replace by the present and future but that's how life works. Darnit One day even Disneyland will be replaced with something else. It may be 500 years from now but it will eventually happen. Perish the thought. The surest way to speed up DL's demise would be to make it irrelevant to the culture/society by not allowing it to change with the times.

As for the lowly abandoned Skyway station - it probably has dry rot or termites and is a breeding-ground for varmints and it's likely not worth saving. But hopefully this will open up a new path to a future attraction north of Fronteirland someday.

•   
    • Artistic integrity

This isn't just some regular shack for kitties to be nonchalant over .. and casually just let it go, like it's nothing.

This is an intricately designed building that is made to look like it was designed by European craftsmen of the 18th or 19th century. (You just don't see this kind of work done anymore)

Open this link ... and zoom in on all the various details -

http://www.matterhorn1959.com/blog1/2010may57h.jpg

You know ... pre 1980 .. especially in California ... we were a "knock it down - build new" society. Didn't give a hoot for history. Last 30 some years, that has changed. We've become more of a society that is making efforts to preserving history. Sometimes, things are lovingly restored to new again, Sometimes, if it's something that has to be removed, it's shipped to another location where it will be looked after.

The Mine Train Thru Natures Wonderland locomotive that resided in a "crashed" position along the Rivers of America has been taken away, and is in hands to hold on to history, rather than let it dilapidate to the point of no return.

In the last 20 or so years - there are mini 'Preservation Societies' that have sprouted up. Where I catch stories of elements of Walt's and Disneyland's history .. of things that are kept somewhere safe, and restored, for future generations to enjoy. Isn't there a train society on the "valley" side of Griffith Park, where something of Walt's past is taken care of?

I particularly like the story of the original 1955 Town Square Bandstand ... that today resides in Rogers Gardens in Newport Beach:

Daveland Disneyland Magnolia Park Photo Page

How that ^^^ came to be ... was too close to being lost forever.

Now .. there are more concerted efforts to race to preserve .. before totally destroyed, and lost forever!

So ... what's going through my head ... I want some answers.

* Is this true? (Seems lately, rumors come .. rumors go, you know? )
    * Is there wood damage? (Dry rout? Termite damage?)
    * Is their intention a complete knock down, AKA Captain Hooks Galley back in 1981/82?
    Not save a thing - "No one will care!-?????"
    * Carefully disassemble parts? Take the most valuable pieces, and whatever damage there is to them ... put them into the hands of someone who wants them .... who will "lovingly" restore them. There are ways of repairing things you know. It's become an art these days - of restoring things.

There should be people on to this ..... NOW .. .and find out what they are really intending to do - and find out what can be done to save the most valuable pieces of the structure- IF it's truly intended to be taken down.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 11-28-2013 at 03:08 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

•   
    • Artistic integrity

And talk about "preserving aspects of Disneyland's history" ...

How about the recent topic of the first set of Story Book Canal miniatures ... that are currently being restored:

1981 rebuild of Storybook Land - never before seen images

So, there's just no excuse to nonchalantly just let this go ... let it get completely mauled over by demolition crews. People interested need to find out how it can be carefully disassembled - if in fact this is true - that Disney intends to get rid of it, come Jan 2014.

In Retrospect: Davelandblog: TPE: Fantasyland Skyway Station
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• revolutionary waltz

It sounds like it's in poor shape either way, considering the employee quote--probably years of lack of upkeep have doomed the poor building. ):

That being said, the post doesn't indicate that there's no plans for the site itself, so I at least anticipate something going in to the space. As well, I think this still should be considered a rumor until official word has come out. Even for bloggers/social media whom I trust on leaks (Al Lutz), things do change and people do sometimes get information wrong.

So do you have a formula that calculates how long something is allowed to stay based on how significant you think it is? Does every building in New York be torn down because it's too old? Oh wait, it has 230 "historical value points" so it can stay for 1,000 more years.
    You know there is such a thing as the National Register of Historic Places and they do in fact have rules/formula for determining whether or not a building is or is not historic? I get the impression this remark was intended to be exaggerated for effect of ridiculousness, but there are actually people whose job it is to determine if something is historic and (potentially) might suggest it therefore should not be torn down. It doesn't apply at all in this case, but I just thought it was funny that the argument was presented as if it were silly, since it's a real thing.

Cool hidden stuff in the park interests me, but not if it's essentially a run-down abandoned building. If it were secretly in super well kept shape despite being out of official use (like maybe it were being either saved and or prepped for some future purpose), I'd be bummed about it being torn down, but since it sounds like the building's in probably rough shape, and it really wouldn't suit any new purpose for ADA reasons, bring on the new. The new only bothers me when it ends up with significantly less design, attention to detail, or theme appropriateness than the thing which went away. (which I actually half expect to happen in this case) but then again, in-use new thing to do that's not as cool as the old thing is still better (to me) than out of use old thing that's just something to know happens to still exist but you can't really see or use or go to.

• Donald's #1 Fan

It's a run-down building. I agree. It has no business being in Disneyland if it's not going to be used (just like the PeopleMover tracks).

I guess it all comes down to memories. I remember riding the Skyway, and that building makes me happy. Its not a ride, nor an attraction, nor anything important. But whenever I see it I feel as if it just has to be there - it's one of those things that I expect to see.

Same thing with PeopleMover - although, in a weird way, the PM makes me sad - because it's fully in our view and our path, and it's a sign that current management just doesn't give a mouse's behind about giving us quality attractions.

I'd argue that tearing it down to build a new, improved (xxxx) would make me smile even more. But just saying "just take it down, people will still keep coming in" seems to be the rule of the land nowadays.

•   
    • Minion

It's a beautiful structure, so on that level it's a shame that they've let it go. Last year my friends and I were trying to take photos of it from the bottom of the hill, and a Cm saw us. She told us that if we went on the Casey Jr. train and looked the opposite way of the castle, we could get a better view of the Skyway station. So we did, and we were all amazed by how gorgeous it was. It's a shame they couldn't figure out how to turn it into something, anything.

• Hooterville, USA

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    It's a beautiful structure, It's a shame they couldn't figure out how to turn it into something, anything.
    Yep.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    People interested need to find out how it can be carefully disassembled
    They probably wouldn't want to do that.

The Skyway station has lead paint and asbestos, toxic/carcinogenic substances that generally don't like to be disturbed, as well as dry rot which means that reassembly somewhere else would produce a building with structural deficiencies (hard to see how extensive the damage is without taking sections apart), and which would ooze toxic substances, IMHO.

It looks/looked nice, but it is way below WDI design standards these days. They basically built a wooden structure using a mishmash of modern construction techniques with some gingerbread moulding nailed on a good part of it. It is obviously a modern structure trying to be something else, unlike present day WDI standards used in newer construction projects which are what Imagineering should be, you design and then build to fit the design using whatever construction methods necessary.

I get the nostalgia, but WDI can, and has, done better. The beauty is the colorful artwork, decorative woodwork and the trees, IMHO, not the construction, at any rate, said style is easily replicated and looks more authentic with present day construction techniques.

The inside, btw, is practically unthemed and looks almost like a diy construction project.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    It's a shame they couldn't figure out how to turn it into something, anything.
    One issue is that the swiss chalet theme doesn't make sense in this area of Fantasyland anymore, there aren't any gondolas going to the Matterhorn.

The land it is on is very beautiful with the trees, and the flowers were great when they had them, but I think it needs something with a backstory. For example, if they built the woodcarver's cottage from Brave, and added blue LED willow wisps that light up at night, and mysterious smoke from a chimney, and put the flowers back in, I think that is better than the swiss chalet to nowhere. (Assuming this isn't a first step towards something bigger).

Swiss chalets look nice, but why one in today's Fantasyland?

Name:  Swiss_Chalet_House_by_Origin21.jpg
Views: 389
Size:  189.7 KB

YMMV
    Last edited by chesirecat; 11-28-2013 at 07:45 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    I'd argue that tearing it down to build a new, improved (xxxx) would make me smile even more. But just saying "just take it down, people will still keep coming in" seems to be the rule of the land nowadays.
    I think that guests who remember the Skyway have a much more emotional attachment to the Fantasyland station, vs. the Tomorrowland one. I think it is because the Fantasyland one used to have a ton of flowers, and is still very beautiful in a rustic kind of way. In a way, this is what Orlando's New Fantasyland got that DL's still lacks, this enchanted rustic feel. Belle's cottage in the New Fantasyland has this wonderful rustic feel to it.

Attachment 33756

The theme seems to be very successful in Orlando, the similarly rustic area around the Be Our Guest restaurant is a hit.

There's a lot of fodder for a beautifully rustic addition to DL's Fantasyland, such as Brave, Tangled, Belle, Snow White, also Frozen, which some folks are calling Disney's best film since the Lion King. We've got the medieval village nestled up to Sleeping Beauty's castle, but nothing with the naturalistic beauty of the Belle area in the New Fantasyland in Orlando.

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    I would think those cats would be welcome - I'd guess you don't have a big problem with rats or mice over there.

I have a friend who lives in the apartments next door to you. I think the gang problem is way worse than any disease or fleas that these cats would bring.
    There might be gangs on the other side of Cerritos street (south) , but they keep to themselves and never bother people in our condos (that I've seen anyway). There's a new family or two of tourists renting the units next door to me all the time and lots and LOTS of children around. The feral cats though, bring just as many fleas and diseases as do the mice and rats if they were around. I've even caught a Possum in a trap over night once..lol

Page 3 of 12 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast