Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: old Fantasyland Skyway station to be demolished after holidays

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    From what I understand, that is exactly why Disney keeps them around and takes care of them - they do away with the rodent population. Without them there would probably be a huge vermin issue in the neighborhood by the park.

I've also been told that Disney neuters and vaccinates the cats, in addition to feeding them.
    The ones that make it outside the berm into our neighborhoods are the ones from the park area and are very scroungy looking tom cats who broke off the pack. They are a pain because the females are not spayed...I dealt with a couple litters I had to catch and donate in the past, pretty sad..

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by theatremouse View Post

Cool hidden stuff in the park interests me, but not if it's essentially a run-down abandoned building...
    +1

• Super Genius

Ventura, California; 96 miles (154Km) from Disneyland

Ironic that a park that was started by a mouse has cats....
    When I go to Disneyland, I tune my FRS Radio to channel 2, without a quiet code. They're faster than a cell phone and you can talk to a whole group at a time, and you don't have to get everyone's cell phone number in advance.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by CaliforniaAdventurer View Post
    +1
    I agree if only the building was accessible to people and we could take pics...sad to see it rot away up there.
    Last edited by VintageGuy34; 11-29-2013 at 06:48 AM. Reason: changed quote

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by MikeChat View Post
    Ironic that a park that was started by a mouse has cats....
    And has a Giant Mouse walking around schmoozing with the humans...how ironic?lol

• Minion

I don't really have a problem with them tearing it down. It was a nice little thing to see, but it's pretty much rotting away. I find it kind of hard to belive that they're going to tear it down, but not have any plans for it unless it's some sort of saftey issue.

Here's a photo I took of the old Fantasyland Station back in July.

IMG_2248 | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

I couldn't get closer to it -- I was at the bottom of the stairs which they had fenced off in some way.

(BLAST! Flickr changed the way you get the proper coding to get the photo into the message! GRRR! So in the meantime, here's the link.)

Donna
    Last edited by teacherlady19; 11-29-2013 at 09:43 AM. Reason: FLickr coding issue
    1967, 1973, 1977 - DLR (RV parks)
    1980-1984 - DLR (multiple single days or at now-defunct motels)
    1994 - DLR (off-site hotel)
    2007 - DLR (single day)
    2008, 2009 - DLR (BW Stovall's)
    2012 - WDW (PopC)
    2013 - DLR (Candy Cane Inn)

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by imaginashton View Post
    I don't really have a problem with them tearing it down. It was a nice little thing to see, but it's pretty much rotting away. I find it kind of hard to belive that they're going to tear it down, but not have any plans for it unless it's some sort of saftey issue.
    Disney has been proactive with regards to areas where cast members can fall and get hurt, the old Skyway station certainly has its share of problems in this regards, besides being a fire trap and other issues.

• Down Pluto!

I must admit - I have mixed feelings about this. On one hand I will miss seeing it and being reminded of the good times being in it and what attraction it held, where it went... On the other, if it is a problem, a hazard, and no longer is sustainable, then it is time to let it go.

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    ... It's a shame they couldn't figure out how to turn it into something, anything.
    I think Disney could not spend money on it because it could not be tied to a movie or an acquisition. Thus, no way to justify maintenance cost if it does no advertising. The Accountanteers and Marketeers are running the show.

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    If the Fantasyland theater and the Skyway was removed in the future, they'd be able to build a "loop" walkway where you could walk up around to a New Fantasyland area from this bottleneck area of Fantasyland/Frontierland. To connect with Toontown they might remove Gadget's Go coaster in favor of a new tunnel under the railroad track, and of course, more room for whatever else they'd put in there.

As is right now, if you're at Gadget's Go Coaster, and you want to, say, go to Frontierland's Big Thunder Ranch, you have to walk all the way back around by Small World, and through Fantasyland's big bottle neck by Pinocchio. If the opened up a new Fantasyland expansion where the Fantasyland theater is, they'll probably want/need more crowd flow options. Also, such a second walkway to Toontown would be appreciated when a parade clogs up the Small World Promenade.
    That would be a boon to the park layout and would actually make sense. They could scale back the theater and keep the entertainment value of the area. But...there wouldn't be a way to tie it to a property so it will not happen just because it would make sense or make it easier on guests. Too little advertising or profit in it.

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Taking out the old Skyway Station is kinda a first chess move I'd expect to see before a major Fantasyland expansion in this area of the park, one that might possibly come a year before announcements or physical construction.
    Really? I don't see much evidence of that happening. Even BVS had to have a bunch of tie-ins to something. As much as that makes sense, I don't think Disney plays much chess anymore.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Really? I don't see much evidence of that happening. Even BVS had to have a bunch of tie-ins to something. As much as that makes sense, I don't think Disney plays much chess anymore.
    I'm a bit between the two points to be honest. I don't think this was a "we're taking this out to build confirmed x project", but I could definitely see an "It was falling apart and potentially a safety issue, plus EVENTUALLY we're probably going to need that land, what the hell - knock it down".
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Artistic integrity

I'd like to ask everyone here at Micechat to chip in and help out in something -

Lets all acknowledge we are making a lot of assumptions on the condition of the chalet, and don't know the exact shape of the structure.

Lets wait till we hear from some CMs .. who work in Fantasyland ... and even then ... hope they're not exaggerated claims. It's all too easy to say - there's termite damage in one corner .. or two slats of wood with "wood rot" .. and come up with a "sky is falling" exaggerated line - "It's really bad, and has to come down."

Much like the "Oh, the PM track is so bad, it can fall down" claims.

If there IS some termite damage .. or any other kind of damage (asbestos?? Where exactly?) ..... I bet it's not as bad as some people are making it out to be.

I hope those with ambition and contacts .. are on to researching out the matter. The exact condition of the historic building .. and getting some real answers .. and not biased exaggerated claims.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Banned User

Blog Entries

TL_67, you have heretofore gained much respect over the threads with your insightful posts

So I really have to say this is not the sword you want to die on, to use Fantasyland jargon

• I'm the Doctor

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilkinson View Post
    Really? You are comparing this to the Louvre, Eiffel Tower and the Pyramids? Really? Wow.
    Exactly!! This is a rundown former ride not a history making landmark. Personally i would rip out that entire hill and put skull rock and pirates cove in its place. The ship can be a Peter Pan M&G and skull rock could be the enterance to a villain themed restaurant. Just my opinion
    Nanananananananananana BATMAN!!!!!!

• Banned User

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by MrRowe View Post
    Exactly!! This is a rundown former ride not a history making landmark. Personally i would rip out that entire hill and put skull rock and pirates cove in its place. The ship can be a Peter Pan M&G and skull rock could be the enterance to a villain themed restaurant. Just my opinion
    That would be preferable to a gate at the bottom of the stairs and some cat feeding station left on a hilltop.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by MrRowe View Post
    Exactly!! This is a rundown former ride not a history making landmark.
    That is your opinion. To others it is considered a historical landmark. And how would you know for sure that the building is "rundown." Like TL67 said, it could have termite damage or wood damage in a few places, but that should not mean that the building is hopeless. If Disney could somehow get the walkways to meet ADA standards, then I would like to see maybe a little shop (with properly themed merchandise) in that location.

Page 4 of 12 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast