Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast

• Banned User

Re: old Fantasyland Skyway station to be demolished after holidays

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post

That would be a boon to the park layout and would actually make sense. They could scale back the theater and keep the entertainment value of the area. But...there wouldn't be a way to tie it to a property so it will not happen just because it would make sense or make it easier on guests. Too little advertising or profit in it.
    Errrr . . . I'm talking about removing the entire Fantasyland theater, which takes up a lot of space and adding a restaurant and two attractions. Like a Be Our Guest restaurant and a couple new Fantasyland dark rides, enough room to do it on an E-ticket scale . . . especially if they take out Gadget's go coaster.

They couldn't just build a pathway from the Skyway to toontown and not put anything in it, IMHO.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 11-29-2013 at 05:41 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    That is your opinion. To others it is considered a historical landmark. And how would you know for sure that the building is "rundown." Like TL67 said, it could have termite damage or wood damage in a few places, but that should not mean that the building is hopeless. If Disney could somehow get the walkways to meet ADA standards, then I would like to see maybe a little shop (with properly themed merchandise) in that location.
    The building is pretty much without HVAC, open to the elements and has dry rot. They used plywood in certain areas, and the railing was falling over. They can't have a building like that without keeping it up, even if just maintenance uses it, they'd have to:

1. Keep the roof in good shape, regular inspection/maintenance.
    2. Paint all the wood in the inside/outside on a regular basis as it is exposed to the elements.
    3. Make sure the sprinklers are in good working condition with whatever inspections are required.
    4. Spend money on new custom railings, or at least a repair *if* the railings were deemed to be tall enough (they might not be).
    5. Have security make sure nobody goes in there to camp over the night.
    6. Continue to make sure the lights are running so nobody trips, not that much of an issue with Led bulbs these days though.

Ugh, you can see why they let it fall apart and won't pay to make it OSHA safe, or just to keep it in fair condition.

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Errrr . . . I'm talking about removing the entire Fantasyland theater, which takes up a lot of space and adding a restaurant and two attractions. Like a Be Our Guest restaurant and a couple new Fantasyland dark rides, enough room to do it on an E-ticket scale . . . especially if they take out Gadget's go coaster.

They couldn't just build a pathway from the Skyway to toontown and not put anything in it, IMHO.
    Understood. I was advocating keeping a smaller version of the theater (like Tomorrowland terrace size) for a smaller entertainment venue. Taking out Gadget and adding another attraction along the path - although I didn't quote that part - is just part of the reconstruction. I think we are not that far apart on what to do.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Sambo View Post
    Understood. I was advocating keeping a smaller version of the theater (like Tomorrowland terrace size) for a smaller entertainment venue. Taking out Gadget and adding another attraction along the path - although I didn't quote that part - is just part of the reconstruction. I think we are not that far apart on what to do.
    I think that's a interesting idea, I often wonder if they had done the Belle's Village here if they couldn't take out the theater, but have a plaza/smaller period appropriate theater for entertainment. Fantasy Faire already has live entertainment, though not as grand as the Fantasyland theater.

There's a supply road that runs to Pinocchio's back there, I think the existence of the road would mean that any restaurant would need to go to the far west side of this parcel, near the backstage road which allows Big Thunder Barbecue/Pinocchio's to be restocked with foodstuffs.

Maybe it's time to bit the bullet and build something of an underground tunnel to Pinocchio's, perhaps would make most sense to do it when another restaurant is being built.

I always thought it would have made the perfect meet and greet area. The stairs could have been demolished and a slowly curving uphill ramp added

I'd love it if they moved Merida's meet and greet to this area, or do something Brave-related.

What basically sets off a lot of the plot for Brave is the Wisps in the forest, and this area is really concealed by trees and foliage, so why not?

But I think so far my favorite idea was expanding Storybookland for more scenes. Brave, Tangled, Frozen, Princess and the Frog... All good fodder for Storybookland expansions since they're newer movies.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by JanitorofSHIELD View Post
    I'd love it if they moved Merida's meet and greet to this area, or do something Brave-related.

What basically sets off a lot of the plot for Brave is the Wisps in the forest, and this area is really concealed by trees and foliage, so why not?

But I think so far my favorite idea was expanding Storybookland for more scenes. Brave, Tangled, Frozen, Princess and the Frog... All good fodder for Storybookland expansions since they're newer movies.
    One of my few memories of the station is distinctly of the queue. It was pretty steep - I don't know how realistic an ADA-compliant ramp would be. I can't imagine it being feasible without a large body of switchbacks.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

•   
    • Minion

I have always been in agreement with this idea. There is a lot of potential in redesigning that area and around "it's a small world".

• Not the Hawkguy

I'm ok with removing the Skyway station. It's been out of use for a long time, and the land it sits on could be better utilized (I really like the idea of plussing Storybook Canal Boats, though leveling the area off and turning it into a more permanant meet and greet area wouldn't be a bad idea either).

• Down Pluto!

I think that's a interesting idea, I often wonder if they had done the Belle's Village here if they couldn't take out the theater, but have a plaza/smaller period appropriate theater for entertainment. Fantasy Faire already has live entertainment, though not as grand as the Fantasyland theater.
    But us old folks need seats...

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Nic

People are looking at the Fantasyland Skyway Station through rose-colored glasses. It's an empty and unused building, that only 5% of park goers know about. Why do we complain about empty buildings in Hollywoodland yet defend the Skyway?
    Fear of the unknown.

They are afraid of new ideas.

They are loaded with prejudices, not based upon any reality, but based onÖ if something is new, I reject it immediately because itís frightening to me. What they do instead is just stay with the familiar.
    You know, to me, the most beautiful things in all the universe, are the most mysterious.

•   
    • Minion

If they do something on that hill they could always do an elevator up and a bridge across. Or perhaps it might be easier to make an ADA accessible entrance from the other side. I think it would be a great place for a meet and greet, or *cough cough* Maleficent's Thorn Maze, or another ride.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Chesire View Post
    People are looking at the Fantasyland Skyway Station through rose-colored glasses. It's an empty and unused building, that only 5% of park goers know about. Why do we complain about empty buildings in Hollywoodland yet defend the Skyway?
    The Skyway closed in 1994, so if you were 7 at that time, maybe you're about 26 now, so if you went to Disneyland with any great frequency, or even just had a memorable trip and remember the Skyway, and if you're above 26, then you might well fondly remember this attraction.

Most every time I visit Fantasyland, I take a look at the old Skyway building, which brings backs memories, or maybe rather makes old memories fresh again, especially since you can imagine that the Skyway was shuttered just months ago as they still turn on the pathway lights.

I recognize that the building should probably go for safety/maintenance issues, but its also a piece of the past.

• Banned User

Remember how guests kept asking "Where's Jack Sparrow?" on the Pirate ride, understandably thinking that a Disney park ride turned into a movie would have the movie's star.

Or remember how little girls riding Peter Pan asked which mermaid was Ariel until WDI added a miniature Ariel?

Well, Disney sure has a lot of new princesses, and while the Storybook Land Canal boats has a lot of them, there are some noticeable absentees. Are guests asking:

1. Where's Rapunzel?
    2. Where's Merida from Brave?
    3. Where's Elsa and Anna?
    4. Where's Tiana?

Can't help but wonder if Storybook might get an expansion to add a frozen village or a miniature recreation of a Scottish castle.

I used to love the sky way but might as well use the area for something. .. And to someone who said tear down the theater to put in a restaurant :/ I definitely don't like that idea.

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 2345678 ... LastLast