Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast

Re: old Fantasyland Skyway station to be demolished after holidays

My first visit was in 1991 I remember seeing skyway buckets and asking about them but i cant remember actually riding it, i didnt return again for 5 years and they would have been gone and i always wodered what was up those stairs. At least now i know, i am sad to see it go, i too think it could have been reimagined and im sad to see it go...
    Tink happy thoughts!

• Minion

I just hope they keep the beautiful trees. It takes decades for trees to grow that big.

• Your Nemesis

Quote Originally Posted by MikeChat View Post
    The Matterhorn has been there longer than the skyway so why are you "allowing" it to stay?

As I said, the only factors should be expense, and rider interest. A attraction that guests aren't using should be torn down and replaced, even if it's only been 30 days.
    First of all, the skyway opened before the Matterhorn.

Also, it sounds like you think they're getting rid of the skyway. The skyway has been gone for years. You're comparing the demolition of an abandoned building to the demolition of the Pyramids, New York City skyscrapers, and the still-operating Matterhorn.
    Running is a mental sport and I am insane!

Too bad they could not turn it into a mini "Disney Gallery" and how pictures of past attractions. Or clean it up, trim some trees and put some seating up there for people to eat at.

How people could be sooo worked up and sad over the demo of this building when they never rode the ride and have barely noticed the structure is beyond me. Oh the drama.

Maybe removal of the Skyway station is the first step towards removal of the hill and after that the opening of a pathway from BTM trail into the northwestern part of Fantasyland and the beginnings of expansion of Frontierland and Fantasyland.

If that was the plan and not just demolishing for safety/maintenance sake, I bet we'd all be happy.

I will miss the station as I miss the Skyway, but it's been almost 20 years since anyone has been in either.

• Minion

The hill still serves a purpose as a visual barrier between Fantasyland and Toontown. If the hill were removed it might be possible to see the castle and Matterhorn from Toontown, and that would be bad show. If the building has deteriorated, then they should remove it, but to remove the trees and hill would be a gigantic mistake in park design, IMO.

• Indiana Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post
    Maybe removal of the Skyway station is the first step towards removal of the hill and after that the opening of a pathway from BTM trail into the northwestern part of Fantasyland and the beginnings of expansion of Frontierland and Fantasyland.

If that was the plan and not just demolishing for safety/maintenance sake, I bet we'd all be happy.

I will miss the station as I miss the Skyway, but it's been almost 20 years since anyone has been in either.
    I'd be all for this!!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilkinson View Post
    How people could be sooo worked up and sad over the demo of this building when they never rode the ride and have barely noticed the structure is beyond me. Oh the drama.
    Some here did experience the Skyway. I have a question for you. Why do you care that people care about the demolition? It's not dramatic, we're losing another piece of Disneyland history, not to mention it's a beautiful structure that can easily be turned into something else.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

If only someone could hop in Doc Brown's time machine, hit 88 mph and travel back and stop the Skyway from closing. More the reason to hope for time travel so we can go back and change Disneyland history for the better.

Quote Originally Posted by Mojave View Post

That hill conceals a tunnel that is the only access to the backstage for El Zocolo, Big Thunder the west side of Fantasyland. They will need that no matter what.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

The long term plans include the connection and the paths. There are certainly ways that they could keep the connection without the hill.

• Minion

I still remember getting off the Skyway and walking down the steps into Fantasyland, but if they're never going to have the Skyway again, it's pointless to keep that building there. They could use the hill for some other purpose; I think the meet-and-greet idea is terrific, but they would have to somehow put in a wheelchair lift to make it ADA-compliant. As long as they keep the hill and the beautiful landscaping I'm OK with them tearing down the building to build something else.

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by jasmineray View Post
    can easily be turned into something else.
    Not necessarily. It was built before a lot of building codes were passed. Any new use for the building would require it being brought up to modern codes as it would no longer be grandfathered in to the old ones. This could be quite expensive actually. We also don't really know what state the building itself is in structurally.

I can guarantee that easily is not a word that could be used to describe returning that building to any use.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by Indy Fan 1 View Post
    If only someone could hop in Doc Brown's time machine, hit 88 mph and travel back and stop the Skyway from closing. More the reason to hope for time travel so we can go back and change Disneyland history for the better.
    I doubt that there is any way the Skyway could operate today at Disneyland in the society that we live in with all of the different laws and regulations. It only operates at places like the OC Fair because people are much less likely to sue the Orange County fairgrounds then Disneyland because the perception is that Disney has bucketloads of money and the OC Fair does not. Maybe you could go back in time and stop that woman from spilling the McDonald's hot coffee on herself and prevent her ridiculous lawsuit. That seems to be where all of the insanity started.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 567891011 ... LastLast