Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• former CM

Re: CONTEST: Find out what's the most overpriced item on Disneyland right now!

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Love the theming in Tomorrowland. They post those pretend prices to convince you that you are 100 years in the future.

Oh. Wait a second...
    Good one!

This thread could have included a poll,
    except that the subject would have required 1,000 options to vote on.

• Party Planning King

Demand aside, I'd have to say Club 33 membership and dues would easily be the most overpriced item you can purchase at Disneyland Resort.
    "Who inspects these rides anyway, Dopey and Goofy?"

We are tourists, not locals. Are ALL of you responders so far locals or something? You seriously can't imagine that anyone buys it anymore? SMH...

P.S. The photographers also pay more attention to people who have a Photopass+ badge

I'm local-ish now. But even when I wasn't, I still would've never paid for a photo. I don't know if (for me) it's as much to do with being local as just my values about vacations. Having a large number of trip photos is not important to me. It goes back to the value. For you, it's a good value to have 200-300 photos of your trip, and if so, that's great for you. I can't think of 200 things I'd want a photo of in the park, or at least, not that I couldn't take myself. If I see a shot that looks interesting, I usually take out my phone and take a picture. It's just not something I'd be willing to pay for. Ride photos don't really interest me, and my family doesn't do the whole "pose in front of the castle/some other landmark" family photo thing. Heck, even if my ticket came with a certain number of free photos, I'd still be fairly unlikely to utilize the service. Anything that works out to more than 10 cents an image, for me, I'd find overpriced.

I don't have children though. I might feel differently once I do, but for now, there is zero value in it for me. But value's subjective, so...

• Former Churro Jockey

I don't know what Disney pays for soda (if anything). Coke is the excusive beverage of the Disneyland resort so I'm thinking Coke probably pays Disney for that privlidge. If that's the case, then maybe the Cokes are even better than free for Disney. I do know that Disney gets their popcorn for free from Orville Redennbacher, and in fact they even pay for the popcorn wagons themselves, so I guess that's a pretty good profit margin.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Not the Most expensive item, but on the other end I believe I found the best deal, The coffee from the carts is a deal, After a long Disney day a coffee is great, and only 25 cents more then they charge at my work.

• Minion

The price of admission and the prices for annual passes. For my family of 4 to enjoy Disneyland for a day, just to get into the park and not eat a thing or buy anything is over 400 dollars....not including parking. Add the high cost of food and drinks and you easily add another 200 dollars.

After having annual passes for the past 20 years we finally decided that Disney was no longer the affordable lifestyle we had come to enjoy and love. It's just way too crowded most of the time and with the recent investment in DCA I don't see Disney doing anything big in terms of theme park attractions for a long time.

• Blew By You

Eisnerism. We're still paying for his decisions of overcharging for everything.

• former CM

I forgot to add balloons.

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I forgot to add balloons.
    I don't know what Disney's cost is, but I suspect the balloons are a little expensive to make just because of the technology. First of all, they are mylar, which is more expensive, and secondly, Disney developed a balloon that was self-sealing, meaning you fill it up with helium, and once it's full, it seals itself. So my guess is that Disney's profit margin with a balloon is not as high as other things. It may only be 1000% instead of 10,000% or somthing...

By the way, when I worked there, Disney had a rule that in every commercial for Disneyland there had to be balloons. Sometimes they would have the regular CM in the commercial if they were only going to show the balloons and not the person, and sometimes they would have an actor and the balloon CM would have to give them a quick 2-minute training on how to hold them and how to take one out of the bunch and hand it to someone without letting any other balloons fly away.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    So, I've already said the park ticket itself *may* not be overpriced. But I just got an e-mail from Disney and was reminded as to what I believe is the single most overpriced item on the park.

Disney's Photopass.

If I understood the terms correctly, a single photo download costs $14.95. Say, 2-3 MB of information. It's awful. I'd have thought that, maybe, a price that'd make sense should be closer to $2 - $3.99. And when you think about it, the photo guy will, if asked, use your camera and take the exact same pic - for free.

That's.. beyond insane, and to me, it's the single most overpriced item offered at the park!

Opinions?
    That's a hard one to call unless you clarify the rules... I don't know how large the margins are, because you would also have to layer in the cost of the CM that is taking the photos... I have no idea how many photos they take per day and what they are are paid, but when you factor that in the margins might not be that great...

Now if you are talking price for what you get, then I would agree... We always do it as a back up in case our camera is lost or stolen, but rarely had need to actually buy them... which is thankful since on a typical trip we might have 100 photos taken and only 10 that would be worth actually having, the number of slanted horizons, of cut off heads, arms, feet along with the over exposed and just down right bad photos is mind numbing.

Soda ranks pretty high, I can get a $1 soda from Walgreens or the same $3 soda at Disneyland.

Photopass is most certainly the biggest rip-off Disney has ever come up with, and honestly last trip I fell for it, I got my Disney Photopass Plus for $70. When I finally got my CD in the mail (which took a super long time), I was SO happy.

Disney Photopass + meant that I got a lot of photos from the photopass photographers, more than I have ever gotten when they used my normal point and shoot camera. Let's be clear, the photographers give you more (as they should) when you hand them that badge.

This was my daughters 1st trip, basically this was a bigger deal to me than my wedding LOL We got photos together that I will cherish forever, and one of the photopass photographers even took us all around Carsland basically giving us a photo shoot at different spots and got us onto Mater's Junkyard Jamboree and taking photos of us ON the ride. That experience alone was worth the money, especially considering my camera memory card filled up by 3pm on day 2 and so I was left with only my camera phone.

I'm gonna go with popcorn. It's incredibly cheap to mass produce. So much so that I find the prices offensive. Especially when you consider that it's hard to have popcorn without also having something to drink with it. Double trouble!

I never gave photopass a thought because I take my own photos, so paying anything seems like too much to me. I can hardly believe though that you have to pay $14 for a single photo. Is that right!?!??

Find our trip report videos on Youtube at FreshBakedDisney. Find our blog at www.freshbakeddisney.com.

• former CM

From Andy Castro's Dec. 2, 2013 weekly update

"If you donít want to get to the parks that early, Disney is selling pre-made candy canes. They are made with the same technique and same ingredients, just off-stage and not on the same day you buy them."

•   
    • Minion

I think photopass is not a rip off. If you buy the CD you get every photo if I recall and can download and print it from there. This service is great if you go on a special trip and there are only two of you. It saves you from having to find someone to take your photo. Also you can have them take your photo at the same time to have more versions of your photo. I think you get all the on ride photos too on the CD I would have to go look at the one I bought. When looking at all the items they sell at the parks and choosing this as the most over priced I don't think I can agree.

I am not even sure what I would choose. Everything is over priced at the parks but when you go to a sporting event or concert it's even worse so I can't really complain about Disneyland prices lol.

• Senior Minion

Re: From Andy Castro's Dec. 2, 2013 weekly update

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    "If you don’t want to get to the parks that early, Disney is selling pre-made candy canes. They are made with the same technique and same ingredients, just off-stage and not on the same day you buy them."

Twelve dollars and ninety-five cents for one candy cane?!

They have got to be kidding.

"With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast