Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• MaliBOOMer

Re: CONTEST: Find out what's the most overpriced item on Disneyland right now!

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    I agree with PhotoPass. If they'd lower the cost they'd sell a lot more. On Tuesday they had a CM at RSR telling people they couldn't take a picture of the preview screens.
    Nooooooo!
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

•   
    • Minion

Re: From Andy Castro's Dec. 2, 2013 weekly update

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Twelve dollars and ninety-five cents for one candy cane?!

They have got to be kidding.

I guess that's your nomination for overpriced!!!!!

• former CM

Re: From Andy Castro's Dec. 2, 2013 weekly update

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    Twelve dollars and ninety-five cents for one candy cane?!

They have got to be kidding.

Yeah, but it's so overpriced it's actually funny. A normal sized candy cane for $12.95!
    The evil part of me wants them to raise it to $14.95, and then $19.95 and post interviews with people who just paid $19.95 for one candy cane. I'd find that entertaining in a sick way. Then again, $12.95 is absurd too.

Knott's should run an ad. "For about the price of these six candy canes at Disneyland, you could purchase a Knott's Seasonal Pass." (
    The cost of the pass--$78 divided by $12.95 = 6.02 candy canes.) Knott's should change the name of that pass since it usually covers far more than a season. Currently if you buy one you get in one day in December of this year and get all of 2014 with no blackout dates, and discounts of some food, merchandise and the Scary Farm. And additional visits in December of 2013 are $9.95--that's less than one Disneyland candy cane!

Can a new worker at Disneyland earn enough to buy a candy cane with one hour of work?
    I don't find that question funny.
    Last edited by jcruise86; 12-03-2013 at 05:59 PM. Reason: typo

You can google your photopass pic?

I am going to choose to believe that the candy cane price is an "oops" moment and that it is really $2.95 and also that really is Tinkerbelle flying down from the Matterhorn...
    "Ignore the Chihuahua behind the curtain."

• Under that tree again!

That wishing well has given me nothing for the money I dropped in it.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• The doctor is in

I think food items, specifically drinks, have the biggest profit margin.

When I graduated high school I briefly worked at a Burger King prior to the military. During training I was told by my manager that soft drinks were the biggest profit in the entire restaurant. On average it costs like 10 cents (or less) for a Coke including the cup, but a large soft drink at the time set you back at least $3. Disneyland is no different as it will cost you anywhere from $4-5 for a soft drink. For a bottled soda you can buy at a grocery store for $1.49 costs like $4 inside the park.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by DobbysCloset View Post
    I am going to choose to believe that the candy cane price is an "oops" moment and that it is really $2.95 and also that really is Tinkerbelle flying down from the Matterhorn...
    I just did some math and realized that for just $103.60 you could (if there were no sales tax) buy
    Disneyland
    candy canes!!!! !!!!
    JJJJ JJJJ

Imagine
    the disturbed looks on your family members' and co-workers' faces when you hold up eight of them and announce that they cost about $110!
    and sarcastic clapping.

Sure, these these aren't the tiniest kind usually put on trees. No, they are thicker than standard pencils and they do arguably dwarf that CD case above. If straightened out, I'd guess they'd be about 8".

But this is still the Disneyland item that shocks me the most. Then again, if you really think about the mouse ears, especially without a name stitched in. The soft drinks don't shock me because they are overpriced everywhere. The candy canes are Disney's own special rip off and they only do it during the holidays. Merry Christmas, Mr. Staggs, Ms. Crofton, and Mr. Rasulo!

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I just did some math and realized that for just $103.60 you could (if there were no sales tax) buy
    Disneyland
    candy canes!!!! !!!!
    JJJJ JJJJ

Imagine
    the disturbed looks on your family members' and co-workers' faces when you hold up eight of them and announce that they cost about $110!
    and sarcastic clapping.

Sure, these these aren't the tiniest kind usually put on trees. No, they are thicker than standard pencils and they do arguably dwarf that CD case above. If straightened out, I'd guess they'd be about 8".

But this is still the Disneyland item that shocks me the most. Then again, if you really think about the mouse ears, especially without a name stitched in. The soft drinks don't shock me because they are overpriced everywhere. The candy canes are Disney's own special rip off and they only do it during the holidays. Merry Christmas, Mr. Staggs, Ms. Crofton, and Mr. Rasulo!
    LOL so true

• former CM

And here is Mr. Castro's photo one more time. I can't get enough of it. It's like the broken Yeti, Dean Martin's Christmas Special at Sea World, or the Rob Lowe/Snow White duet of "Proud Mary" at the Oscars. I think someone at Disney did this as a practical joke and then people purchased them anyways and it just kept getting funnier and then kind of sad, then funny again.
    From Andy Castro's Dec. 2, 2013 weekly update

"If you don’t want to get to the parks that early, Disney is selling pre-made candy canes. They are made with the same technique and same ingredients, just off-stage and not on the same day you buy them."
    Last edited by jcruise86; 12-06-2013 at 06:06 PM. Reason: typo

Disneyland
    candy canes!!!! !!!!
    While I agree that $12.95 is a ridiculous price to pay for a piece of candy with unknown pedigree, it is not unreasonable to pay that price for a piece that is handmade and fresh.

As to the freshness issue, the best canes are made with real peppermint oil, which is a volatile essential oil with a relatively high note. That means that the oil evaporates fairly quickly and with it , a good amount of the flavor. Due to the nature of peppermint oil, the vast majority of "peppermint" candy is made with imitation peppermint flavoring. Most people have never tasted a candy cane made with real peppermint oil.
    Secondly, most canes are made by machine & are extruded. Handmade canes are actually pulled by hand. This hand process allows the sugar crystals to align in long fibers and give the confection an entirely different feel in your mouth.
    I don't know how many on the site have actually made candy in their kitchen, but I have done some sugar work. It is a very daunting bit of chemistry, not to mention the fact that it can be dangerous. It is also hard work requiring a good amount of strength. The artisans at Disney are very good at what they do. If they would sell them to me, I would happily spend that $103.60 (plus tax) for those eight canes if I was certain that they were made with peppermint oil and that they were made that same day.
    Try this analogy. You can eat a 12 oz steak at Sizzler for $10.95 one day. The next day you eat a 12 oz steak at one of the better steak houses for $45.00. If you can't tell the difference, why would you ever eat anywhere else but Sizzler? If you can tell the difference why would you want to eat at Sizzler? Don't begrudge the tastes and preferences of another individual.
    Skiddley Whiffers is a cruel mistress; cold and unforgiving.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by gomezaddams View Post
    While I agree that $12.95 is a ridiculous price to pay for a piece of candy with unknown pedigree, it is not unreasonable to pay that price for a piece that is handmade and fresh.

As to the freshness issue, the best canes are made with real peppermint oil, which is a volatile essential oil with a relatively high note. That means that the oil evaporates fairly quickly and with it , a good amount of the flavor. Due to the nature of peppermint oil, the vast majority of "peppermint" candy is made with imitation peppermint flavoring. Most people have never tasted a candy cane made with real peppermint oil.
    Secondly, most canes are made by machine & are extruded. Handmade canes are actually pulled by hand. This hand process allows the sugar crystals to align in long fibers and give the confection an entirely different feel in your mouth.
    I don't know how many on the site have actually made candy in their kitchen, but I have done some sugar work. It is a very daunting bit of chemistry, not to mention the fact that it can be dangerous. It is also hard work requiring a good amount of strength. The artisans at Disney are very good at what they do. If they would sell them to me, I would happily spend that $103.60 (plus tax) for those eight canes if I was certain that they were made with peppermint oil and that they were made that same day.
    Try this analogy. You can eat a 12 oz steak at Sizzler for $10.95 one day. The next day you eat a 12 oz steak at one of the better steak houses for $45.00. If you can't tell the difference, why would you ever eat anywhere else but Sizzler? If you can tell the difference why would you want to eat at Sizzler? Don't begrudge the tastes and preferences of another individual.
    If the source of the picture (and information as to where the 'canes are made and when) is/are correct, the 'canes are made offstage and not same day. Presumably they're the same material, but if same day is a factor in your decision, it sounds like the $13 pre-mades are probably not what you're hoping they are.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Party Planning King

I'm curious now. If the pre-made, not-the-same-day candy canes are $12.95, how much does it cost to buy the high-demand candy canes that people race to get at park opening?
    "Who inspects these rides anyway, Dopey and Goofy?"

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    If the source of the picture (and information as to where the 'canes are made and when) is/are correct, the 'canes are made offstage and not same day. Presumably they're the same material, but if same day is a factor in your decision, it sounds like the $13 pre-mades are probably not what you're hoping they are.
    Thanks, Lurch!

But thanks also for writing so well, Gomez! Now I want to read all of your posts on every thread. Why is sugar work dangerous? Possibly the worst meal I've ever been served was a cheap, tiny steak at Sizzler--all fat and gristle--about 20 years ago. I barely ate it and I've never been back to Sizzler since, so your steak analogy worked on me.

I still think $12.95 (pre-tax or post) for candy canes in the photo is outrageous, even if made by Willy Wonka himself. People used to say "airport prices," but now they could say, "Disney prices."

Hey, wait--Lurch and Gomez Addams!
    Last edited by jcruise86; 12-06-2013 at 06:07 PM. Reason: to mention the sales tax / typo

• Singing Drinker

Thanks, Lurch!

But thanks also for writing so well, Gomez! Now I want to read all of your posts on every thread. Why is sugar work dangerous? Possibly the worst meal I've ever been served was a cheap, tiny steak at Sizzler--all fat and gristle--about 20 years ago. I barely ate it and I've never been back to Sizzler since, so your steak analogy worked on me.

I still think $12.95 (pre-tax or post) for candy canes in the photo is outrageous, even if made my Willy Wonka himself. People used to say "airport prices," but now they could say, "Disney prices."

Hey, wait--Lurch and Gomez Addams!
    I can answer the bolded bit - the sugar concoction that they work with is VERY hot to the point that you can burn yourself badly if you are not careful or are unlucky. The only way to work with the material to form it into the correct shape is to essentially do it right after you've removed the boiling liquid from the heat source and before it cools enough to go rigid.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast