Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: CONTEST: Find out what's the most overpriced item on Disneyland right now!

The correct answer to the OP is anything that you put in your mouth.

• Former Churro Jockey

Well, value means something different to each person. To me a freshly made candy cane for $12.95 is a good value, because it's unique to Main St, I personally really like them, and they are less than most other items at the park. Granted, I can buy a regular candy cane for $1 or so, but Disneyland Park is the only place I can get to where I can get one that is freshly made. But if you're looking only at profit margin, then I imagine a candy cane has a higher profit margin then most other things.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I can answer the bolded bit - the sugar concoction that they work with is VERY hot to the point that you can burn yourself badly if you are not careful or are unlucky. The only way to work with the material to form it into the correct shape is to essentially do it right after you've removed the boiling liquid from the heat source and before it cools enough to go rigid.
    Thanks, Bog!

Since you're a fellow fan of the "Original Renaissance Faire" in Irwindale, one good value there is the caramel apple stand owned by Broon. You get a bowl full of apple slices covered in caramel or other toppings and you get a discount with the secret word, which he mentions at his shows each day.

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Why is sugar work dangerous?

Thanks for the kind words, JC. As Boglurch mentioned, the candy syrup is very hot when it comes out of the pot. That type of hard candy requires a syrup of 295 degrees Fahrenheit. That is about 147 degrees Celsius for our Canadian friends. After it pours out on the table the outer part of the syrup exposed to the table and the air begins to cool, but the inside remains quite hot and it is very sticky. As you stretch it, the hot inside wants to come to the surface where delicate digits are. If you don't do it just right, you can receive the burn award of the second degree.

As an aside, it is funny that you were discussing caramel which is one of the most nasty things you can make. You have to put cool cream into a pot full of hot syrup. If you are not careful, it can explode. The cream sinks to the bottom of the pan under the syrup, the water in the cream turns into steam and gets trapped under the syrup until the pressure of the steam breaks through the syrup.

I find it strange that i'm defending a candy cane that costs $12.95.
    Skiddley Whiffers is a cruel mistress; cold and unforgiving.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by gomezaddams View Post
    I find it strange that i'm defending a candy cane that costs $12.95.
    Big D probably said it best - value's in the eye of the purchaser. Subjective, not objective.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

I've always been wary of the Photopass. I get the appeal and the convenience, but I've heard too many horror stories about people missing photos, getting other families photos (which I'm sure is sort of funny to look at but also not funny when you really want your photos), etc.

• former CM

What's the most overpriced item at Disneyland?

Any other nominations?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234