Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Donald's #1 Fan

CONTEST: Find out what's the most overpriced item on Disneyland right now!

So, I've already said the park ticket itself *may* not be overpriced. But I just got an e-mail from Disney and was reminded as to what I believe is the single most overpriced item on the park.

Disney's Photopass.

If I understood the terms correctly, a single photo download costs $14.95. Say, 2-3 MB of information. It's awful. I'd have thought that, maybe, a price that'd make sense should be closer to $2 - $3.99. And when you think about it, the photo guy will, if asked, use your camera and take the exact same pic - for free.

That's.. beyond insane, and to me, it's the single most overpriced item offered at the park!

Opinions?

• former CM

Re: CONTEST: Find out what's the most overpriced item on Disneyland right now!

TIE?: Postcards & soft drinks have pretty big profit margins. Or how about Mickey Mouse ear caps?

Second place: popcorn, churros, and the compensation packages paid to Iger, Staggs and Rasulo.

• 1 man can make a difernce

Soda for sure. Its all profit. Coke supplies them with all the soda and cups at no charge as long as they dont have to pay for advertising!
    Not anxious to die Sir, just anxious to matter.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/jediz28

• world class bilge rat

Executives.

By far the most overpriced items. Obscenely overpriced.

$3 for an apple a few years ago was pretty insane too.

• Beach Expert

A beach town that Harbor Blvd was named after

Love the theming in Tomorrowland. They post those pretend prices to convince you that you are 100 years in the future.

Oh. Wait a second...

• world class bilge rat

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyIPresume View Post
    Love the theming in Tomorrowland. They post those pretend prices to convince you that you are 100 years in the future.

Oh. Wait a second...
    That was funny!!!!

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by micromind View Post
    Executives.

By far the most overpriced items. Obscenely overpriced.
    This.

Second place: $3 to have your kid's name embroidered on his mouse ears. Not that $3 is a lot of money, but for all the decades that Disneyland was in operation before Eisner, having a name embroidered on your mouse ears was free.

Free embroidery of your name on your mouse ears was a tradition that made mouse ears special keepsakes for millions of children. A tradition that was typical of the customer service of Disneyland at that time.

Charging for it was typical of the business practices of the Eisner/Pressler era. Practices that are continued today by Iger & Staggs.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

The tiny salad in plastic container at River Bell Terrace for 12 bucks. Only saving grace is the toppings bar, but it doesn't excuse that pitiful overpriced pap.

I agree with PhotoPass. If they'd lower the cost they'd sell a lot more. On Tuesday they had a CM at RSR telling people they couldn't take a picture of the preview screens.

• 2013-14 Premium APer

Totally agree, the PhotoPass could be a great item if it were priced anywhere near reason. Simply put, it's not. fortunately there are ways to get your photopass pictures downloaded in good quality for free. Just google it.

• Minion

the parking ticket for non APers

I'd wager the biggest margin is on the soda. It almost always is.

I find PhotoPass overpriced mainly because I can't imagine why anyone buys it anymore (except for maybe the on-ride photos where a person in my party couldn't possibly take the photo). Otherwise, everyone has a phone and they almost all have cameras in them of decent quality. I wouldn't pay for a digital photo of myself. But since I don't know their margin because of all the hardware and the software and the human staff involved with the PhotoPass system, I'm not sure I could call it the most overpriced thing in the park. I'm guessing they keep the prices so high because they have some sort of market research implying the people who want it, will pay for it, but I bet those numbers are dwindling. So it's basically a gouge-til-it's obsolete kind of thing. That's all speculation on my part though.

I think PhotoPass is popular with tourists who are visiting on a once in a lifetime type trip. If you think about it, the PhotoPass package where you get all you shots on a CD isn't a bad deal for for a family spending a few days at the resort. But the single picture price is just beyond what most people would pay which effectively prices out a lot of people for whom a prepaid package doesn't make sense. The high price is probably to push people towards the packages, but costs them sales with people for whom a package doesn't make sense. They probably make enough money with this pricing structure to justify not changing it, but I think they're passing up a lot of potential earnings.

I guess I'll just chime in to say that we purchase Photopass Plus before our visit and find it to be a great value. We have done this twice now and have 200-300 photos on our photopass at the end, including all of our on-ride photos.

However I would never buy an individual on-ride photo.

I'm genuinely surprised that people think it's so overpriced though.

We are tourists, not locals. Are ALL of you responders so far locals or something? You seriously can't imagine that anyone buys it anymore? SMH...

P.S. The photographers also pay more attention to people who have a Photopass+ badge

• Heavy Breather

The Tickets, haha.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast