• Banned User

Cool Extinct Disneyland Attraction Reference in Frozen

If you haven't seen Frozen yet, you really should. The animated film is being called Disney's best since the Lion King and the Mickey Mouse short put in front of the film is fun as well. I have to say I was more than impressed with the songs in the film, which didn't slow down the story, but rather added to it. There's also a twist or two.

Anyway, the animators snuck in a sly reference to the Country Bear Jamboree, specifically how folks might remember that CBJ had a Christmas overlay which featured, among many other things, Christmas Lights hung in the antler's of a certain Moose named Melvin.

Name:  91d97b90.jpg
Views: 1303
Size:  57.7 KB

There's no moose in Frozen, but there is a reindeer named "Sven", and during a certain scene there is a tree with strings of beads of ice that look a lot like Christmas Lights as the sun's rays reflect through them, and sure enough, Sven's antler become tangled in said strings, giving a striking impression of how the Christmas Lights used to be strung in Melvin's antlers.

Name:  disney_frozen_2013_sven-800x480.jpg
Views: 1299
Size:  119.5 KB

Fans might also note that Sven and Melvin have more than a passing resemblance. During the CBJ Christmas Show, Melvin always wanted to sing the "Rudolph the Rednose Reindeer" even though he was the moose, and Max, the deer, was the more appropriate choice to sign that song. It should probably also be noted that the Country Bear Jamboree in Orlando no longer has a Christmas overlay.

There's other easter eggs, but I'll have to let you find them on your own.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 11-29-2013 at 07:11 PM.

• Minion

Re: Extinct Disneyland Attraction Reference in Frozen

I'll have to look for that when I watch the movie. Thanks for pointing it out.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    I'll have to look for that when I watch the movie. Thanks for pointing it out.
    If you like hidden extras be sure to hang around for the credits, they actually credit somebody who was in charge of "caffeination" as well as an amazingly funny disclaimer in which the Disney Company disowns the comments that one certain ruggish character makes with regards to "something all men do" to that viewpoint not being held by the Disney corporation and a personal opinion of the character. Hilarious.

Best credit gags I've ever seen in a film, there is a scene after the credits as well, not as good as Brave's after credits scene, though.

• Local Animatronic @ Dland

ticket booth in front of Main Street Cinema

I miss my old friend Melvin and the all of the Country Bears! I'll make sure to watch out for that! Thank you
    -> -> http://micechat.com/forums/disneyland-resort/181693-after-hours.html <- <-
    Stories of Disneyland from an animatronic's point of view

• keh!

Has a Frozen animator spoke out about those "Easter eggs"? If not, then I would just call it a coincidence. That's like saying the horse in Frozen is a nod to Maximus from Tangled because they look alike. They're just characters with similar features and no connection.

• One Little Spark...

Was this an actual Easter egg by the animators or just an assumption? Do you have a source? I'm questioning it because like Flickering said, just because they look somewhat like each other doesn't make it an Easter egg.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Flickering Bulb View Post
    They're just characters with similar features and no connection.
    Well, there is a connection between Country Bear Jamboree and Frozen. You see, it was Disney Legend Marc Davis, (who first worked for Disney as an animator), who first conceived the notion of talking animal heads mounted on a wall at the Country Bear Jamboree, as well as other characters.

Name:  country+bear+1.jpg
Views: 874
Size:  34.1 KB

And in 1981 Marc Davis worked on the Fox and the Hound with a young animator named Chris Buck. Fast forward to 2013 and Christ Buck is co-directing Frozen with Jennifer Lee and . . . well, let's just say that animators and Imagineers have been sneaking bits and pieces of Marc Davis's work in their creations for a long time.

And if you don't believe that, then you probably don't want to hear about that very animatronic-like goat snuck into Tangled, just a bit after an oddly placed Pinocchio is spotted in the rafters of the Snuggly Duckling.