Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

• Minion

Re: Here's to hoping Frozen isn't made a huge part of the parks

So how long before they're added in Small World?

Joking aside (though I wouldn't be altogether too surprised), I'm looking forward to seeing the film. I don't think our parks are the best places for these characters. I can see Anna being a kind of mascot or being tied in to something in Epcot.

• Minion

ORDDU: Well, of course, there should be something in a Disney theme park to promote a Disney movie. My sisters and I just don't understand why anyone would complain about something like that. If you can't do something to promote a Disney movie inside a Disney theme park then Disney theme parks would cease to be Disney theme parks.

ORWEN: I think people who complain about such things aren't really Disney fans at heart. They're looking for some other kind of theme park that has nothing to do with Disney mythology. But I'd love to see an attraction at the parks for as many Disney movies as is possible--including Frozen!!!

• Heavy Breather

I agree, besides, the Sleeping Beauty Castle was renamed that to promote the then unreleased film. Which was still 4 years away.

• former CM

I liked it (my 8-year-old loved it), but it left me a little cold.

The Metacritic.com score of 75 seems about right to me. My favorite part was the snowman's song which didn't really advance the plot. It was voiced Josh Gad who so brilliantly played Elder Cunningham in the Book of Mormon.

Here's a link to the snowman's song:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_yJrytUyagY

--Tom Sinsky
    Last edited by jcruise86; 11-30-2013 at 08:40 AM.

• Evil is Sexy

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    I liked it (my 8-year-old loved it), but it left em a little cold.

The Metacritic.com score seems about right to me. My favorite part was the snowman's song which didn't really advance the plot. Was it voiced by Elder Cunningham from the Book of Mormon? Here it is:
    Disney's Frozen - "No Heat Experience" Clip - YouTube
    Yes, Olaf is the original actor for Elder Cunningham.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• The doctor is in

I thought Elsa's song when she created her ice palace was the best one.

What bothered me is that Anna seemed to be the main character despite Elsa being queen and being the one with the powers. I feel like Elsa shouldn't have been a supporting character to Anna.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    Yes, Olaf is the original actor for Elder Cunningham.
    I read my "Book of Mormon" CD booklet and confirmed this before I saw that you answered it too. (Thanks, WildeNight! Are you named after my favorite Emily Dickinson poem?)

I think the one thing (besides music) that Disney does better than Dreamworks is that Dreamworks is a little more likely to go after the hottest movie stars rather than the most talented performers. It takes more effort to find the best with so many actors who are not yet extremely famous. (Josh Gad, like Nathan Lane at the time of the Lion King, is not yet a household name.) Disney will use Robin Williams and other huge stars if they seem like they really are the best for the roles, but perhaps Dreamworks almost always uses the biggest stars (and pays them $$$$$) over insecurity that their name isn't yet quite as strong as "Disney."
    Last edited by jcruise86; 11-30-2013 at 08:38 AM.

I went to Disney a few days ago and sadly there is a meet and greet. There is also a house they had the snowman on,that moves when people are around. I bet they thought the movie would do better that you described it. I have not seen it yet, so I can't disagree nor agree. I have seen commercials that are pretty annoying so, I'm not jumping up and down to see it.

• former CM

Quote Originally Posted by DrFink View Post
    . . . What bothered me is that Anna seemed to be the main character despite Elsa being queen and being the one with the powers. I feel like Elsa shouldn't have been a supporting character to Anna.
    Maybe, Dr. Fink, but a lot of viewers might identify with the less powerful underdog.

What I didn't like about the TWO princesses ($ $!!) is that the drawings took the old Bambi, big eyes / little nose thing too far. If they were subverting the princess formula I'd have liked it. Still, as Chuck Jones said, "It's hard to animate humans," so when Glen Keane, Brad Bird, and Hayao Miyazaki do this well it's doubly impressive.

--Tom Sinsky
    Last edited by jcruise86; 11-30-2013 at 08:47 AM.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by jcruise86 View Post
    Maybe, Dr. Fink, but a lot of viewers might identify with the less powerful underdog.

What I didn't like about the TWO princesses ($ $!!) is that the drawings took the old Bambi, big eyes / little nose thing too far. If they were subverting the princess formula I'd have liked it. Still, as Chuck Jones said, "It's hard to animate humans," so when Glen Keane, Brad Bird, and Hayao Miyazaki do this well it's doubly impressive.

--Tom Sinsky
    Part of that facial structure really is part of the "Disney Style" though - going back to the original Mickey there's been a strong disposition towards that look.

Besides, go to far towards trying to make them look 'real' and you get into the entire uncanny valley issue. A strong well animated caricature is much more believable than the current state of the art "real" animated human.

Back to topic...

The meet and greet is a fine inclusion for the movie. It's a little premature to permanently ensconce Frozen in the pantheon of Disney Masterworks, but if it turns out in ten years the film's got real legs then a discussion on a bigger addition would be more realistic.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Witches of Morva View Post
    ORDDU: Well, of course, there should be something in a Disney theme park to promote a Disney movie.
    Yes, Walt Disney himself cross-promoted everywhere, but when a movie has a big opening weekend and suddenly people are speculating on a major, permanent, park presence it seems, shall we say, premature. Of course, it's happened before and it will happen again.

Actually, it's much more funny when people talk up a big park presence for an unreleased movie that then flops (i.e., Lone Ranger in Frontierland).

• formerly very helpful

As I've said before, it SHOULD be all about balance. I also think they should wait a while before they see how much of an impact a movie is on the Disney mythos before including it in the parks in any long-term way. For example, I'd say the a movie like The Little Mermaid has earned its position here, but if they had jumped in and built a Rescuers Down Under ride it would have really not passed that criteria.

As for Frozen, I would like to think that it will someday make that big an impression.

• Minion

ORDDU: Even if a Disney movie is a flop that doesn't mean an attraction based on it will be. Case in point--Alice in Wonderland. The attraction is very popular even though the movie wasn't exactly a big success.

• #bringevilback

It's a Princess movie (double at that!) so it will be in the park in someway, even if it just a continued meet and greet. Merida still has her's, so even after the movie finishes it's theatrical run, it will still be around. They've had the Anna and Elsa dresses in the shops for a few weeks already, and they are being bought and worn around the parks. Whether you liked it or not, they are the 12th and 13th princesses and will be in parades and merch and probable meet and greets, if not a larger presence, which will probably be determined how well it does, which people are predicting it will do quite well.

I personally enjoyed the movie, and I liked the winter WOC (just not as good as the original) but would love to see less Olaf. I was very glad he wasn't as annoying as the previews and WOC made him out of to me.

• Splash On In

I didn't love it. I didn't hate it. It all felt a little underdeveloped and rushed. The queen and princess were the least interesting characters in the film. The character with the most personality was Kristoff. Olaf was surprisingly inoffensive and not nearly as grating as all the poorly produced marketing leading up to the film would suggest, he's actually a very minor part of the film. I see this one fizzling out just like Brave and Tangled and The Princess and the Frog. Gorgeous scenery. Let It Go is the best scene overall.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast