Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Winter Dreams was severely underwhelming

I'll start off with the pros, since it wasn't all terrible, I guess

• snowflakes at the end were very cool, but I felt they did distract from the waterscreens (not sure if that was entirely the intent)
    • showing Thumper from Bambi was a nice nostalgic touch for everyone, got a big "awwww" from the audience
    • Lighting on California Screamin' and Mickey's Fun Wheel was fantastic, I don't know if those lights were there before or newly installed (as I have not been in a while) but they were great and could really add to the normal WOC (again, not sure if they are there)
    • Singalong part was great and fun for all!

Now for the long list of cons imo...
    • I felt the show had no real climax or anything, though that's what some people have been saying about Frozen, so perhaps that's why
    • I understand that they are trying to promote their new movie by making the entire show about it, but come on. I sincerely doubt that even 20% of that audience had even seen Frozen by that time, mainly because most people spent the whole holiday weekend in the park and would be too exhausted to go see a midnight showing. Because of this, the whole show was very odd to me and made little sense without the backstory to "Frozen" or who this "Olaf" character is.
    • I'm not entirely from the school of thought that Disneyland should be a museum, but I don't think it can be refuted that people tend to like scenes more that include movies they have previously seen and enjoyed. I would have loved to see more Bambi, Tangled, Toy Story, etc.
    • "At Last I See the Light"? What the heck was that. A terrible cover by some singer who does a dramatized over the top cheesy version of the once beautiful song. Sounds like the same person who sings for the Fantasmic princess floats.
    • Why did Olaf stop the singalong in the middle? It was confusing to people, and then nobody sang when he started again.
    • The Youtube singalong was garbage. Nobody comes to Disneyland to see a bunch of random people from Youtube performing some song that nobody has heard of through the "power of the internet!" as the announcer put it. And what a bad way to start off the show

Anywho, let me know your thoughts.
    Thanks!

Re: Winter Dreams was severely underwhelming

I guess everyone has their own opinion but I don't see any surprises. It is in a christmas themed World of Color, caters to the same audience and suffers from the same issues. World of Color has the same up-down flow and lack of introduction to the characters.

Its not as if the show has really anything to do with Frozen in terms of plot. It just uses two characters from the movie. Olaf and the Snow Queen both of whom are introduced.

I enjoyed the show quite a bit. And I personally thought "I See the Light" was one of the highlights in the show.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

I basically disagree with everything you said. Yay personal opinions.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

•   
    • Minion

I really loved the show more than the regular WOC. I agree with all your "pros" here - Thumper was adorable in particular - but I honestly thought the singers at the beginning were beautiful. I got chills listening to them sing.

I do agree on Olaf. We were actually stopped by a CM doing a questionairre after the show and she asked us what our least favorite part was - all three of us automatically said "Olaf." He is a cute little character, but IMHO he didn't need to narrate the whole thing. He was slightly irritating after a while.

• The doctor is in

I watched Winter Dreams on YouTube and I didn't think it was anything special. I think the regular WoC show is better.

And yes, Olaf is incredibly annoying. I thought the same thing when I saw the movie.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Level 7 Galactic Hero

I didn't find it awful, but it did lack something that the original does not, and that's heart. Take a show like "Believe in Holiday Magic". No use of characters, projections, or anything of the sort. Yet it still manages to be one of the most heart-tugging shows I have ever seen. The "Let it Go" and "Glow" scenes are as close to that as they get.

As for Olaf, he isn't as annoying as everyone says he is, but they could downplay his role a little.

Winter Dreams (and Jingle Cruise for that matter) are only in their first year, they just have to grow and see what will happen in time.
    Stopping in the middle is
    DISTINCTLY
    UNPATRIOTIC!

I totally agree with you! there were some WOW aspects, but the overall flow of the show was off.... I even got a little bored! I mean, I LOVE original WOC and was expecting something equally awesome but made better with a christmas theme, but alas, I was a wee bit let down.

plus then seeing Paris' version of the show, I think theirs is better and takes away from the DCA only specialness of WOC. ;_;

the paris show btw: Disneyland Paris Disney Dreams of Christmas - YouTube

• Splash On In

Having now seen FROZEN, I am truly baffled by the thinking behind the promotion of the film. Olaf has been a central figure of the promotional push of the film, despite being a very minor character. While I understand the marketability of the character, I don't understand the disconnect between the character I saw in the film and the character I saw in the teasers, trailers and in WINTER DREAMS. In the film, Olaf is a soft, naive snowman. In the promotional material, and especially in WINTER DREAMS, he is a loudmouth buffoon. While I didn't ultimately didn't hate Olaf, I think I would have liked him more had it not been for all the pretense.

• #bringevilback

Supposedly they used him in marketing to appeal to boys instead of just girls (as typical princess movies) in hopes of reaching a wider base.

I liked him in the movies, HATED him in WOC and if I hadn't been going to see the movie with my niece, I'd have made sure to avoid the movie after seeing how annoying he is portrayed!

Experienced Winter Dreams twice .Dislike Olaf in the show yet I enjoyed him in Frozen movie . And above all, for me Santa Mater at the end of World of Color ruins the grand finale . The show lacks emotion ( and NO I did not like the Toy Story number , seemed boring for my friends and me .

• Blew By You

This Winter Dreams was too much a commercial for the Frozen movie. The Christmas colors were nice though. I'd say this WoC offering is not a must-see show.

• The doctor is in

Quote Originally Posted by WickedScorp View Post
    Having now seen FROZEN, I am truly baffled by the thinking behind the promotion of the film. Olaf has been a central figure of the promotional push of the film, despite being a very minor character. While I understand the marketability of the character, I don't understand the disconnect between the character I saw in the film and the character I saw in the teasers, trailers and in WINTER DREAMS. In the film, Olaf is a soft, naive snowman. In the promotional material, and especially in WINTER DREAMS, he is a loudmouth buffoon. While I didn't ultimately didn't hate Olaf, I think I would have liked him more had it not been for all the pretense.
    I agree. Olaf is not a very central character in the film, but the promotions and this new WoC show make it seem like he is a main character. He is also very different in the movie than he seems in everything else.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

I saw winter dreams on thanksgiving and was very unimpressed. First of all I didn't realize it was going to be a whole new show. Terrible decision Disney, TERRIBLE! We ate dinner at the Carthay Circle, got the world of color dinner package, really didn't like the turkey dinner at the Carthay, but that's another story. We were all excited to see the heartwarming, touching, funny, amazing story we knew well and loved... Though no! Olaf, yes cute, showed us a modge podge of Christmas related scenes; and literally the only connections between the different scenes was The holidays. I can't believe they would shelve the real WoC for some two months and show this. It wasn't horrible, but I was very disappointed. There was also no storyline to the show, which I think was the worst part. It lacked heart! WoC could make you laugh and be on the verge of tears; when you hear Simba call out to his dad. Winter dreams gave me a few small laughs, and some "wow that was cool" moments, though I expect more from a Disney show. The finale is really the only thing I remember because it was big and overwhelmingly flashy. It felt like world of color and a stereotypical Las Vegas show just had a baby. Overall it was a great night at the happiest place on earth and the show is still way more than you can see at any other companies theme parks. I just think a Christmas pre-show or maybe a few scenes mixed into the original show would have been a much better decision.

P.s. The Viva Navidad street performance show was great and really enjoyed what they did to that part of the park.

As a REALLY big Toy Story fan, that segment honestly kind of bored me. A lot of that segment's displayed animation was recycled from the Toy Story 3 teaser or other little Toy Story gems that Pixar previously animated (such as Woody and Jessie's dance, which they showed during the intermission of the TS1/TS2 Double Feature).

That felt like a slap to the face to rehash these things whereas in the original WOC, both Disney and Pixar had to go in and reanimate scenes from different angles.

Something I really enjoyed was the lights on the Fun Wheel and the lights on Screamin'. Those are begging for utilization in the original show.

update:

Saw Frozen today...

that "Let it Go" title song fits MUCH better in the movie, with more context, than in the show, where it seems like a weird cheesy song that has nothing to do with Christmas/The holidays

Still confused why they used Olaf as a central character/narrator in this, as others have commented, as he has no such role in the movie.

Sidenote: He annoyed me in both the show and the movie. I felt the movie had the horse and Sved the reindeer as comic relief, and that was enough. The snowman added nothing to the movie for me, and I kept expecting him to suddenly become an important character (or at least melt at the end and make everyone cry)

I agree with all of you saying there was no emotional aspect of the show...spot on. No tears for Mufasa's death, or anything near. Critics on Rotten Tomatoes saying "Frozen is the next Lion King!"...I don't see it. I put this at the same level I enjoyed Brave at. Cute, likeable, but below par for Disney.

Same goes for the show. Maybe this show would be acceptable at a lesser quality park, but not DCA.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast