• Level 7 Galactic Hero

Something rather out of the blue...

Well I recently saw "The Lion King" back at the Pantages for its LA run (extraordinary as always!), and also saw the little exhibit in the Wonderground Gallery, and while I found it a little underwhelming, it was still very interesting for what they had.

This got me thinking recently...what if Downtown Disney played host to a Broadway-style theater?

Now before people get all antsy, let's throw out the pros and the cons.

PROS
    -Play host to several shows, and not just limited to the Disney shows.
    -Located in a shopping and dining district, giving people something to do before a show.
    -Another form of entertainment for the district.
    -Guests can see a Broadway-style show without having to go into the park

CONS
    -The traffic of parks + The nearly-doubled traffic of DTD with the theater
    -Would anyone want to go to DTD just for a show?
    -Space: can't put it past Jazz Kitchen due to the GCH, or past the House of Blues due to the tram route
    -Loss of something: because of the previous problem, the only solution would be to tear a current structure out

At the very least, if any structure was to be gutted out, it would come down to these few locations:
    -Tortilla Jo's
    -Rainforest Café
    -Jazz Kitchen

I don't know if the MC community would be for it or against it, so if there are any ideas or suggestions, go ahead.
    Stopping in the middle is
    DISTINCTLY
    UNPATRIOTIC!

Re: Something rather out of the blue...

People in the area who want to see high quality stage productions have a number of options not in DTD. Most regional theaters that do shows, either comissioning their own, coproductions, shows intended to go to Broadway have only half their operation budgets from ticket sales. The rest is donations. To have a purely commercial theater, even if it just played host to national tours, is extremely expensive.The top ticket prices for the best seats in this sort of venue for that sort of production would easily match or potentially exceed a one day park ticket. DTD is essentially a mall. I can't imagine putting such a theater there could actually be expected to make business sense.

Sure. Not that'd I'd go just for a show, but I might leave the parks for a good one.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

I think a Broadway Style live action Theater would be nice for the DL resort area, BUT I'm certain the REAL missed possibility was a state of the art Grauman's Style Movie theater, so that Disney could premiere movies in downtown Disney. AMC should have dressed up ONE of their theaters to the hilt in the style of an ornate 1920's Hollywood!

• Singing Drinker

FWIW, this originally was supposed to be part of the Hyperion's mission. Of course, little things like being inside the park and the external "lobby" and such make that problematic - but it WAS once on the menu. Even had an extract of an honest-to-god Broadway show in it for a while.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• The doctor is in

I think this would be a nice addition to the resort as a whole, but I don't know if DTD is the right place to put it. The parking situation alone is the biggest vote against, imo.
    I am so sick of Frozen I can't even describe the feeling.

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    I think a Broadway Style live action Theater would be nice for the DL resort area, BUT I'm certain the REAL missed possibility was a state of the art Grauman's Style Movie theater, so that Disney could premiere movies in downtown Disney.
    Great post, yes! They totally should've done that!
    They should've gone all out and done their own version of the Chinese Theatre, complete with an elaborate plaza area in front of it, with some form of tributes (statues, art, etc) to the most classic, beloved Disney films, live action and animated.

Great idea Aladdin

• #bringevilback

Living close to the DLR, plus being a theatre fan I would love something like this, however I don't think there is the market (or space) for it. Segerstrom, which is just down the freeway, plus Pantages in LA, do precisely this, with national tours, and then there are others that focus more locally/on a smaller scale so while it would be nice, I don't see it happening. I also don't see it being a draw for tourists, unless it was a Disney production along the lines of Aladdin in DCA, but that already exists...

• Donald's #1 Fan

An arena would be better. Concerts, stage shows, etc. That'd be cool.

They still could make the Hyperian Theatre accessible to outside theater goers by building a new (proper) lobby on the waiting area to the south - with two entrances - one from the park and one off of Harbor. Granted Harbor isn't as nice as DD and parking would still be an issue but it is possible.

I do like the idea. However, I'm not sure how well tickets would sell. Most people come to Disneyland to visit the parks. The cot of tickets, food, hotel, merchandise and so on really adds up fast. The added cost of a show ticket (which would be pricey) is usually not in the budget of most guests. This is why Cirque Du Soleil in WDW has been struggling for quite sometime. I could see this idea being geared towards locals... which would only might be successful for so long unless the shows were changed frequently.

You make a great point DoC. For it to work the shows would have to change far more often than they currently do. Maybe it's best just to keep it as is, and let non-Disney venues take care "real" stage productions.

• Nutty about Disney parks

Quote Originally Posted by CassiefRN View Post
    Living close to the DLR, plus being a theatre fan I would love something like this, however I don't think there is the market (or space) for it. Segerstrom, which is just down the freeway, plus Pantages in LA, do precisely this, with national tours, and then there are others that focus more locally/on a smaller scale so while it would be nice, I don't see it happening. I also don't see it being a draw for tourists, unless it was a Disney production along the lines of Aladdin in DCA, but that already exists...
    If the theater only showed Disney productions it would seemed rather redundant. Why pay even more to see a Disney stage show when you can see something shorter but similar included in the price of park admission?
    Toonaspie: I have Asperger's. I like cartoons. Toonaspie!

• Diva Extrodinaire

I think with so many regional theatres in the area in addition to the Segerstrom in Costa Mesa, this is not the greatest idea. But if they made a second entrance to the Hyperion, they could host full productions of Disney musicals six nights a week.
    ONE TWO THREE NOT ONLY YOU AND ME

OC Performing Art Center loses money every year. It's only because of donors that they are able to continue operating in the black. I can't imagine that a theater in DTD could turn a profit.