Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Why didn't we get wet on GRR and Splash?

We were in the parks last week and had a great time. We rode GRR and Splash Mountain and we didn't get wet on either ride. So does anyone know: Are those rides "dialed back" (less water or less intensity to the flow of water) during the winter months so guests won't get wet or get less wet than usual?

• Just this guy......

Re: Why didn't we get wet on GRR and Splash?

Yes.

They have some control of how wet you can get.

• See Ya Real Soon!

I would ride them both more often if I they could have a "dry" mode.

• Zephyr Pilot

I can confirm the answer for Grizzly is no. Nothing is changed about the water level. You just got lucky. Every now and then the last geyser isn't on, but everything else is the same.

•   
    • Minion

Sometimes it depends on the weight of the ride vehicle. If your log on Splash has a heavier combined weight, the splashes will be larger. That's always been my experience. There have been a few times I've been in logs that only had two or three people and the water barely touched us; there have also been times I've been in logs that were completely full - with a number of larger/heavier guests - and I've gotten soaked to the skin.

I was actually just at the park a few days ago and rode Splash about 5 times one night. It was close to midnight and since there wasn't a line, the CM let us ride a few times without getting off. Coincidentally, I actually asked her if they lowered the water level in the winter and she said no! She said the water level has to stay the same year round to cover the track. There was only two of us in the log, and we sat right in the middle of it. We barely got wet at all. When riding it earlier in the day with a full log, we got drenched!

As for GRR, I remember seeing a video one time with an WDI or CM showing how they have control over how strong the rapids are by using underwater brims. I'm pretty sure I'm not mistaken, but don't take my word for it. Anyone know for sure or have a link to the video?

• Evil is Sexy

I recall the short tibbit with the Imagineer about being able to control the water levels for the seasons as well. I think it might be on one of the 90 minutes "Behind the Scenes" videos they have out you can get on Netflix/Netflix streaming.
    Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• Heavy Breather

I think they change how wet people get depending ing on the temperature outside.

• Evil is Sexy

This is the preview clip for the Behind the Scenes video. You can see the whole thing on Netflix. It's about 51 minutes long and actually pretty cool.

Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

• The doctor is in

If I could ride GRR without getting soaked I would ride it more often. I find it hard to believe people can walk off that ride completely dry.

Splash on the other hand, it does depend on how full the log is and where you sit. Weight also has a lot to do with it. I have been on Splash where I have gotten drenched from head to toe and have also walked off dry. I find sitting in the very back keeps you more dry than sitting in the front.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

• Former Churro Jockey

Don't forget about Pirates, I believe they lower the water level on cooler days there as well.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• I'm not really here

The short answer: Physics.
    The long answer: Physics.

Depends on how much weight is in the vehicle, how that weight is distributed, the exact shape and amplitude of waves as your ride vehicle approaches and crests over them. Orientation of the vehicle at the exact moment you pass over them. How the people are moving inside the vehicle (turning, waving, etc) shifts the vehicle around. The effect the previous vehicle to pass over an area had on the flow of water (ripples, waves, etc). The wind at any given moment can alter it just enough as well. There are hundreds of variables involved.

I have ridden Splash and Grizzly and come off with barely a drop on me anywhere, only to get right back on, sit in the exact same seating arrangement with the same exact people and get absolutely drenched.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by disneychrista View Post
    I would ride them both more often if I they could have a "dry" mode.

Oh, me, too! I love love love the ride part of Splash Mtn, but I detest getting wet. And GRR is cute; probably wouldn't ride it as often, but given the wet factor? Yeah, not at all.

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    The short answer: Physics.
    The long answer: Physics.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

I think the only difference they can make that will impact how wet you get is whether they turn on the kind of random spray jet on Splash mountain. I do recall riding it once and thinking I didn't get we at all and then being blasted by that stupid spray jet. I doubt they can lower water levels as the ride is designed to run with water at a certain level, lowering or raising it could cause some safety issues.

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    I recall the short tibbit with the Imagineer about being able to control the water levels for the seasons as well. I think it might be on one of the 90 minutes "Behind the Scenes" videos they have out you can get on Netflix/Netflix streaming.
    Yes! I recall it now. It was definitely on one of those Disney documentaries on Netflix. I got hooked on them and ended up watching every one they had on streaming! LOL. I knew I'd seen it somewhere. I'll try to see if I can find the exact one and post the title here for anyone interested. Thanks, WildeNight!

Quote Originally Posted by WildeNight View Post
    This is the preview clip for the Behind the Scenes video. You can see the whole thing on Netflix. It's about 51 minutes long and actually pretty cool.

Before I could even post this, I saw the video. That definitely looks like it! You're good! Haha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast