Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• I'm not really here

A thought about rumored park plans

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Things change a lot within Disney. Even when they say something is coming that is not a guarantee.
    This is not aimed at you lazyboy, just riffing off your post. This thought has been growing for some time. It doesn't just apply to the reports of last week, but to any rumored project. I am not calling out anyone nor attempting to silence excitement or opinion. I merely think that we need to temper our disappointment by remembering a key point. Rumor isn't necessarily true, no matter who says it is.

It should be noted that Disney never said these were happening. Usually, when they publicly announce that a project is happening, it happens. But stuff like Monstropolis, 60th anniversary, etc, haven't actually been announced. They were pure rumor and speculation. Anything not publicly announced technically doesn't exist. Even if they have built models for them, until announced, it doesn't exist.

The problem is that to often fan communities (not just Micechat, and not just about Disney either) take rumor as a sign that something is happening when we should take rumor as nothing more than rumor. The mantra should be, if it isn't publicly announced, it isn't happening. Even if rumor says they are prepping something, until they announce it they aren't beholden to anyone or anything. And that's the problem. We get a report based on hearsay (no matter how valid, good, true, reliable the source) and it is reported with authority and so people begin to buy in to the fact that it will happen. That it is happening. Then when plans change, or the rumor turns out to have been false from the start, people are upset and blame Disney rather than remembering that none of it was actually really happening in the first place.

This isn't bad leadership. We don't know the full picture. We aren't briefed on the status of projects in full detail (plans, blueprints, cost projections, land use, guest studies, etc). We don't know what the resort master plans call for. We have literally next to no information and far less than a clue. For all we know, decisions to axe rumored projects are a sign of strong and good leadership. We don't know enough to make any truly informed judgment calls on this.

So before we blame CEOs, the death of Walt, financial departments or whoever else, let's remember what the source of this "news" was in the first place. Rumor: "A currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth."

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Senior Minion

Re: A thought about rumored park plans

As frustrating as it may be to some, rumor-discussion is a raison detre of fan forums. It provides a counterbalance to the spin-doctored bs of corporate-controlled "official" sources, and is fun for the participants. As long as threads that discuss rumors are labeled "Rumor," there should be no cause for concern among those fans for whom the pronouncements of Disney corporate sources represent the only truth, nor need for any wetblanketing of the continued and vigorous discussion of Disney-related rumors on MiceChat and other Disney fan sites.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Indiana Scott

I tend to agree with you Mycroft. It seems somehow unprofessional for those who operate this forum to spread unsubstantiated rumors. I lose a little respect for them every time I read such articles.
    Sorry if that sounds like a slam. I enjoy and appreciate the good work of the MC crew but I think this kind of activity detracts from what I would normally consider good journalism.

• Not the Hawkguy

Obviously, all rumor threads should start with the following message:

Important reminder: Rumors are just that -- rumors. None of this has been confirmed as legitimate news or fact; so remember to take it all with a grain of salt

• Hooterville, USA

Without rumors, what would we post about?

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    I tend to agree with you Mycroft. It seems somehow unprofessional for those who operate this forum to spread unsubstantiated rumors. I lose a little respect for them every time I read such articles.
    Sorry if that sounds like a slam. I enjoy and appreciate the good work of the MC crew but I think this kind of activity detracts from what I would normally consider good journalism.
    Rumors are the whole reason this site exists. It is not event an abstracted statement. MiceAge became a go-to place because of the information being shared by Al Lutz that would never be confirmed by Disney. Even actual professional journalists frequently operate in the world of rumor discussing issues revealed by anonymous sources. Trust and anonymity are major parts to how information is disseminated.

Frankly, I think this is more a reaction to the reality hitting Disneyland that things have not changed and that the park is not treated all that special. It is still operated like a mall, just now more like a lifestyle center, and overseen by the men of Strategic Planning. This is not just a case of plans changing but Disneyland instead being confronted with the bigger issues at play inside of the entire division. Lasseter has used up his political capital and has new concerns at Pixar so the Resort is without a strong champion.

• Former Churro Jockey

Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    That's the core of what this site does. It spreads rumors based on some reasonibly reliable inside information. Things change all the time at Disney, so often times the rumors do not come to fruition, even though they were true at the time. This isn't a journalism site.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• curiouser and curiouser

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    This is not aimed at you lazyboy, just riffing off your post. This thought has been growing for some time. It doesn't just apply to the reports of last week, but to any rumored project. I am not calling out anyone nor attempting to silence excitement or opinion. I merely think that we need to temper our disappointment by remembering a key point. Rumor isn't necessarily true, no matter who says it is.

It should be noted that Disney never said these were happening. Usually, when they publicly announce that a project is happening, it happens. But stuff like Monstropolis, 60th anniversary, etc, haven't actually been announced. They were pure rumor and speculation. Anything not publicly announced technically doesn't exist. Even if they have built models for them, until announced, it doesn't exist.

The problem is that to often fan communities (not just Micechat, and not just about Disney either) take rumor as a sign that something is happening when we should take rumor as nothing more than rumor. The mantra should be, if it isn't publicly announced, it isn't happening. Even if rumor says they are prepping something, until they announce it they aren't beholden to anyone or anything. And that's the problem. We get a report based on hearsay (no matter how valid, good, true, reliable the source) and it is reported with authority and so people begin to buy in to the fact that it will happen. That it is happening. Then when plans change, or the rumor turns out to have been false from the start, people are upset and blame Disney rather than remembering that none of it was actually really happening in the first place.

This isn't bad leadership. We don't know the full picture. We aren't briefed on the status of projects in full detail (plans, blueprints, cost projections, land use, guest studies, etc). We don't know what the resort master plans call for. We have literally next to no information and far less than a clue. For all we know, decisions to axe rumored projects are a sign of strong and good leadership. We don't know enough to make any truly informed judgment calls on this.

So before we blame CEOs, the death of Walt, financial departments or whoever else, let's remember what the source of this "news" was in the first place. Rumor: "A currently circulating story or report of uncertain or doubtful truth."
    Although in this case Disney themselves have dropped numerous hints of the Star Wars makeover, amongst other things.
    Alice and the subs are going Down for refurbishment, or in the case of the subs: "refurbishment".

• Banned User

This is not just a case of plans changing but Disneyland instead being confronted with the bigger issues at play inside of the entire division. Lasseter has used up his political capital and has new concerns at Pixar so the Resort is without a strong champion.
    Financially, Disney is doing quite well, hey they will be spending $6-$8 billion on a stock buyback for Pete's sake! Profits from the theme parks are up an amazing amount last year, and Lasseter sure hasn't lost any "political capital", Frozen beat box office predictions by a lot, and will probably win a couple Academy Awards.

1. The Hunger Games: Catching Fire – $110.1 million
    2. Frozen – $93.0 million
    3. Thor: The Dark World – $15.5 million
    4. The Best Man Holiday – $11.1 million
    5. Homefront – $9.8 million

Seriously, Carsland is a bonafide hit, and a lot of the newer stories and characters that would be used in future Disney attractions falls under the purview of John Lasseter.

I think it's clear that Disney has entered a third golden age of animation. We've got Princess and the Frog, Tangled, and now Frozen, in addition to Wreck It Ralph and Pixar's first princess movie Brave. If you look at the theme parks, there is a lot of older animated classics, which is OK, but you can bet that guests will be interested in re-living these newer stories in the future in a Disney theme park.
    Last edited by chesirecat; 12-02-2013 at 03:42 PM.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by DLcub View Post
    Although in this case Disney themselves have dropped numerous hints of the Star Wars makeover, amongst other things.
    Alice and the subs are going Down for refurbishment, or in the case of the subs: "refurbishment".
    Iger has discussed WDI plans for 'more Star Wars' in Anaheim and Orlando. There haven't been any publicly disclosed ideas for a Star Wars "makeover" (which implies re-theming of an existing land at DLR, IMHO, accept my apology if I'm wrong). WDI has dropped a bucket load of hints about a highly detailed Star Wars platemaking project similar to Carsland in scale and scope.

I don't think anybody seriously believes that the Nemo Subs are going to close, and that the refurb is a prelude to this.

• Indiana Scott

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    That's the core of what this site does. It spreads rumors based on some reasonibly reliable inside information. Things change all the time at Disney, so often times the rumors do not come to fruition, even though they were true at the time. This isn't a journalism site.
    No it isn't a "journalism site" but generally discussion boards are run more like a newspaper in this regard. In as much that the "Paper" (the keepers of the site) are responsible for news and as accurate data as they can get and we are more the editorial section.
    I belong to a number of different forums and none of their owners disseminate rumors like those of this site do. The members may but not the owners.

• Senior Minion

Frankly, I think this is more a reaction to the reality hitting Disneyland that things have not changed and that the park is not treated all that special. It is still operated like a mall, just now more like a lifestyle center, and overseen by the men of Strategic Planning. This is not just a case of plans changing but Disneyland instead being confronted with the bigger issues at play inside of the entire division.
    Exactly. All of which was forecast on this forum back when the Bob & Tom Show cast Meg as a major star. Sad news for those of us who knew Disneyland in better times and had hoped for a return to that level of management. As for the spate of bashing the credibility of the Al/MiceAge Update that's been going on since the last Update, it's understandable: better to reject the reporter than accept the possibility that his bad news is correct. Al got the same reaction when he first reported the bad news about the then-unknown Pressler, when he broke the news of what T. Irby was doing to maintenance under Eisner & Pressler's command, and when he reported the early plans of the disaster known as DCA 1.0.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

• Indiana Scott

Nobody is saying there's no "possibility that his bad news is correct" Mr Wiggins.
    Were simply calling it out for what it is, a rumor.

• Banned User

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Wiggins View Post
    As for the spate of bashing the credibility of the Al/MiceAge Update that's been going on since the last Update, it's understandable: better to reject the reporter than accept the possibility that his bad news is correct.
    I don't think anybody is bashing Miceage, their news sources inside of TDA and wherever else have just gotten a lot wrong for the past year or so. Al's updates had a lot of specific info about what was going on inside the park, with a lot of details. The new updates don't have a lot of specifics, but are more editorial-ish concerning the direction of the park, and some of it seems almost like an April Fool's joke.

One of the Miceage updates a while ago said that Kalogirdis mentioned Miceage by name at a TDA meeting, Disney probably is asking people to stop talking to Miceage or else they'll be fired or something.

Anyway, I can't believe even some of the little details like:

But all of the show upgrades once planned for Alice, like the impressive new Queen of Hearts animatronic with the digitally rear projected face, are now on hold.

You can't very convincingly have a "digitally rear-projected" face on the Queen of Hearts inside of a dark ride, it would light up like the moon due to the low light levels and the plastic face would be lit funny with the black lights, and it would clash next to the other figures. Mr. Potato head's eyes are rear-projected, but he's in the outside in the bright light, and Buzz is in a very well lit room, not a dark ride.

Possibly TDA has a plant who is feeding Miceage a whole lot of bizarre and incorrect rumors.

Last edited by chesirecat; 12-02-2013 at 08:13 PM.

• Senior Minion

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    Iger has discussed WDI plans for 'more Star Wars' in Anaheim and Orlando. There haven't been any publicly disclosed ideas for a Star Wars "makeover" (which implies re-theming of an existing land at DLR, IMHO, accept my apology if I'm wrong). WDI has dropped a bucket load of hints about a highly detailed Star Wars platemaking project similar to Carsland in scale and scope.

I don't think anybody seriously believes that the Nemo Subs are going to close, and that the refurb is a prelude to this.
    What, "Bucket load of hints," are you talking about. The only thing WDI has shown is crates at D23 as far as I know. Where have you gotten the idea that it will be Cars Land's size? Even if this were true, WDI blue skies things, doesn't mean anything they design will ever really end up in a park anywhere, let alone in Anaheim.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast