Disney APer as a Personal Photographer

After seeing the news story about APers acting as "tour guides" to abuse the GAC system, it got me thinking; "I wonder if there would be a legit way for APers to make some extra cash and do something that wouldn't harm Disney. I came up with the idea of "Personal Paparazzi", hire an APer with a good DSLR camera (think Fishbulb quality photos of you and your family at Disneyland). Why not?!

Disney could argue that it would take away from the Disney Photopass profits, but what if the "rule" was that he/she wouldn't take photos of the ride photos and the Photopass Photographer would still take the picture like normal at character meets ect. I see no issue since the photopass photographer will use your camera to take photos and DSLR cameras are allowed in the park, so it would be little different than handing them your own camera.

Getting great candid and posed photos in lots of spots, along with some ride photos (taken from outside [like teacups] of your family riding the ride) I think someone could easily make $100 or more on this service, just look how much people pay for things like family photo shoots on Groupon.

What do you think?

• Selfie Expert

Re: Disney APer as a Personal Photographer

This same thought crossed my mind before when we wanted to take photos in the parks to announce my pregnancy. Unfortunately, I believe the parks prohibit such practices. I could be wrong, but I think I've read if they catch people taking wedding photos, etc, with a professional photographer (unless its done through Disney of course), that they are asked to stop.

it makes sense since they have the opportunity to make money through people purchasing their photo pass photos, even though they do offer to use your camera.

And $100 for a session of fishbulb quality photos would be a helluva deal! Lol

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

• Chief Troublemaker

Since my photography skills suck, I thought it might be a cool idea, but I don't know if it'd be worth $100.00 to me. The fact that I wouldn't be stuck looking at things through a camera & wouldn't be distracted from things trying to take pictures would also be nice. But………...

This is from Disneyland's FAQ page

• Professional photographers with professional cameras or recording equipment, who are visiting the Disneyland Resort with the intent to take photographs or recordings of people, Disneyland Resort properties, or icons for professional purposes must make prior arrangements with Disneyland Resort Media Relations.

'One of the definitions of 'professional' in Webster's online (def 2/a/c) is "engaged in by persons receiving financial return". As far as what constitutes a 'professional camera', I don't really know since I'm just a point and shoot kinda gal. So, although not banned specifically, it does say one has to make arrangements with Disney. And how far Disney would take the definition of 'professional' is a big unknown.

Given Disney's (well deserved) crackdown on GAC 'guides' and IIRC a crackdown sometime in the past on 'unofficial tour guides' charging to conduct people around DL, I would assume that they would also nix someone wanting to come in as a paid personal photographer, especially as it treads on the photo pass territory, even with the restrictions you mentioned.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• #bringevilback

Interesting...reading the policy it seems like it would have to be a professional AND a professional camera, which one could argue a standard dslr is not really one...

• Selfie Expert

I do wonder what they qualify as a professional camera. I know at the hockey stadium, they base it on the size of the lens.

Thank you to Poisonedapples for my awesome signature!
    KellyMcG86's Disneyland To Do List

"Professional" cameras- that's a sticky definition, because it's about so much more than just the size of the lens. You could have a giant, low-quality lens, as opposed to an amazingly sharp shorter one. Which do you think would take better pictures?

And what camera body is a person using? Because, truthfully, a full-frame camera is going to take much higher quality pictures than the one I'm using, but looks much the same. Only a person who really knew cameras would be able to spot it, or they could prohibit certain models of camera.

I can see why Disney has a policy, but it would be a nice thing to be able to do. To get pictures of the park and of you in it, but not have to trust a stranger with your camera, or worry about finding someone to take the shot.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

• Senior Minion

Commercial photography and videography are prohibited on DLR property unless the shooter has made prior arrangement with DLR Media Relations. In the ever-changing-and-advancing world of image recording technology, the "professional" label on kit is irrelevant; whatever gear is used by a pro to make money is automatically pro gear for that pro, be it a top end DSLR with a megapixel back, a cell phone, a pocket P&S or a homemade pinhole camera.
    "With the acquisition of Marvel and now of Lucasfilm,
    Disney may have finally found the grail. You don't need
    imagination or art. All you need is a brand."

- Neil Gabler

•   
    • Minion

This would seem to be a violation of Disney's rules, yes. I think they would frown on anything that would involve a guest (AP or not) doing something of a commercial nature in the park. And yeah, I would think that any camera that is being used to make money = "professional" camera in this instance. I've seen art gallery shows of photos taken on iPhones, so in this day and age a lot can be done with very inexpensive cameras.

Disney is probably missing out on a great niche of their own with this, though. If they let people rent the services of a PhotoPass photographer for the day, or a few hours - their own photographer to go around the park with them and capture all the memories, not just at the PhotoPass spots - they'd probably make a fortune.

Rent a photopass photographer would be great, especially because the photographers can go places normal guests wouldn't be allowed to go (I had a Disney Photopass Photographer take photos of my daughter and I on Mater's Junkyard Jamboree and she got to be in the ring while guests had to stand outside the exit.

If Disney priced this reasonably, I think it would make quite a bit of money for them.

Plain and simple if you are taking any form of payment be it money or anything in return for your pictures it is a violation of Disney's rules. The term "professional" is something that should actually be changed on their end because nowadays with the over abundance of entry level DSLR's and editing software ALMOST anyone can create great looking pictures.

But dont try to attempt to find a loophole as a means to make profit because all that will do is ruin it for every other person who is trying to enjoy taking pictures at the park legitly without making profit in mind. The whole GAC disaster comes to mind.

The fact that you consider $100 a good price is pretty much a slap on the face to any photographer that is actually making a living doing so the right way. The reason why most photographers charge alot is because they have to at times apply for permits, they pay taxes on what they earn per shoot, they have to make contracts in regards to right on the images and alot of time and effort goes into what they do. I don't take pictures for a living, I myself shoot with a Canon T2i and trust me I would LOVE if somehow I was able to shoot pictures for Disney promotional material as a living; but there is a right way of doing things and definately a wrong way that will end up doing more harm than good to anyone who enjoys taking pictures at the park.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

No.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• 2013-14 Premium APer

I think there's also a clause in the AP Ts and Cs that would not allow this either.