Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast

• Singing Drinker

Re: My Magic + is looking like Big Brother

Quote Originally Posted by alphabassetgrrl View Post
    That would creep me out more than I'd think it was "cool." Kind of like the scenes in that Tom Cruise movie... Vanilla Sky? He gets identified by his iris scan, and all the billboards in the immediate area start talking to him directly.

I think in that world, I'd never leave home. That sounds horrifying.
    Minority Report.

High School Trig, GONE. Stupid Tom Cruise movie, sure, let's keep THAT in memory instead. Thanks, brain.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

The next gen initiative is another "brilliant" idea for a MBA sold to the board under the guise of mining customer data and increasing profits. Unfortunately the amount of money spent on the roll out and continuing technical support not to mention the negative press is going to make this another expensive disaster.

Unfortunately Disney Corp. has forgotten long ago what makes Disneyland and Disney world Special. It is the Atmosphere the attractions, the ambience, the transporting of you into another time and place. Sadly the company seems to only honor it's heritage in words more and more these days, as the parks have turned into membership shopping malls.

This "Next Gen" initative is nothing more then a Vons or Ralphs reward cards program, where shopping markets are able to track all customers purchases and then market specific products to them or sell the data to 3rd parties.

The millions and millions of dollars Disney is spending on these initiatives could have been put towards building new attractions, taking care of there employees by updating the break areas and eateries, ability to hire and nurture new talent. I digress,

The reality is, I am certainly going to OPT OUT of a RFID band. I do not want to be greeted by name everywhere I go at Disney. I do not want to be targeted with advertisements or specific DVC Time Share programs.

I do not want to pay money to help Disney profit off Data captured from my visiting their properties. How much do you want to bet Disney would be sharing all this data with all there many off shoot companies or even 3rd parties.

Count me out. Waste of money (Unless you are a MBA at Disney Corp. making 7 figures)

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Minority Report.

High School Trig, GONE. Stupid Tom Cruise movie, sure, let's keep THAT in memory instead. Thanks, brain.
    That's the one, yes, thank you.

Creepy.
    I pledge allegiance to the Earth, one planet, many gods, and to the universe in which she spins.

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    Minority Report.

Hey, I love that stupid Tom Cruise movie! lol
    * *The dreams that you wish will come true* *

What sucks the most about all this, is that it's forced upon you. At first, I thought the idea was cool of the bands and was going to sign up for it. They said the only way to get them would be to sign up. However, I never got to.

I showed up and they gave me my bands although I never signed up. They aren't just letting people test it if they want, they're pushing it upon you (although technically they do still give you cards "just in case"). Suddenly, I didn't like the idea of it all.

I said I didn't want to use it for purchasing (I felt uncomfortable with the idea of my credit card number being attached to it). They told me about if I wanted to do this and that, that I would basically have to make an account. I told her that I don't have time for it (and just simply didn't want to anyway tbh), and she said, "You will have to eventually. Everyone will." She was being nice, but at the same time the way she delivered that statement sounded ominous to me.

I only used it for my hotel room. It was kind of nice having to just tap my wrist and go in, inside of trying to fish out the card, but other than that I never used it for tickets, fastpass, or purchases, because you have to make an account for all that. I used it no problem and liked it a little bit (I felt a little better since there wasn't really no strings attached to it), but when I thought about what the woman said the more I felt motivated to not even do it in the future (I told her I would) and at the same time felt off put when I would think about her "Everyone will" statement.

I honestly hope this concept of giving everyone that comes to certain hotels one is temporary and in the future (if it gets the green light) that "Everyone will" means people who simply just want to purchase MyMagic+ and not literally everyone. I think the idea of potentially pushing this concept on literally everyone is even creepier than the actual tracking.

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by DisCollector View Post
    What sucks the most about all this, is that it's forced upon you.
    I'm curious about this, because this sentiment has been repeated multiple times, but according to Disney's page this service isn't being forced upon anyone, and even those that want to use it as a room key have the option to forgo signing up for the additional Fastpass and Purchasing options.

Is this not the case?

Quote Originally Posted by Walt Disney World Webpage
    Are all guests required to participate in MyMagic+?
    Guests can enjoy admission to the parks without having to participate in MyMagic+, register on the My Disney Experience website or provide any personal information. Guests who choose to participate in MyMagic+ and register on My Disney Experience will be able to use the FastPass+ service, make dining reservations online, and enjoy the convenience of having their tickets, FastPass+ selections, Resort room access and other enhanced features all in one place. Guests participating in MyMagic+ always have the option to use a card instead of a MagicBand. Guests can also choose whether to use their RF Device to make purchases at select Resort locations

• film975

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    I'm curious about this, because this sentiment has been repeated multiple times, but according to Disney's page this service isn't being forced upon anyone, and even those that want to use it as a room key have the option to forgo signing up for the additional Fastpass and Purchasing options.

Is this not the case?
    My point exactly. Too many people are running under the false assumption that this is going to be mandatory. Which it is not. It's just another option. And if the MyMagic+ program doesn't turn the Disney company a profit. It will be scrapped.

Yes, technically it is not required to participate, but they do have the box of bands ready, give them to you, explain to you what they are, what they do, and tell you how your privacy will not be compromised. It seems quite implied they want them to be used. They even have your names branded on them. But they do give you room keys in order to access your hotel room, because according to the person in the front desk not everywhere is accessible with the band yet.

However, she explained that if you want them to be connected to make purchases, dining plans, to your tickets, fastpasses, ect. that you will have to register on My Disney Experience. When I stated that I didn't think I was going to and didn't need to, she told me (as I previously said), "You will have to eventually. Everyone will."

So, perhaps it isn't required according to the company, but the cast member in particular made it sound as if it would be if this becomes permanent. What I am trying to say is, maybe it is an option, but the cast member made it sound as if I didn't really have a choice.

Perhaps, I'll go into the WDW section and ask others of their experience, because I do not know if this was a particular cast member doing this, or they're all trained this way.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    My point exactly. Too many people are running under the false assumption that this is going to be mandatory. Which it is not. It's just another option. And if the MyMagic+ program doesn't turn the Disney company a profit. It will be scrapped.
    Using a band will be optional - having passive RFID tags will not be and being forced to live within the digital profile world NextGen creates won't be optional. You can just do nothing.. but ultimately everything will be rolled into this digital profile.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• Cunning infiltrator

Now I know why both sides of my family are mundane, dull, and boring people...well except for my mother's side of the family.

I never went to Walt Disney World Resort in my entire life due to the lack of interest of my family members when I was little, they don't know what true fun experiences are.

But, since I never set foot at the resort, I would never know what the true experience is like compare to Disneyland.

MyMagic+ seems to be annoying...and forceful.

For all your Furry/Anthro needs!
    http://www.second-ed.com/

Highly recommended Furry/Anthro list:
    http://belfrycomics.net/
    http://furaffinity.net/

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Using a band will be optional - having passive RFID tags will not be and being forced to live within the digital profile world NextGen creates won't be optional. You can just do nothing.. but ultimately everything will be rolled into this digital profile.
    If you elect to use the RFID card instead of the magic band, what exactly are they tracking with you that they can't already do today?

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

If you elect to use the RFID card instead of the magic band, what exactly are they tracking with you that they can't already do today?
    This is accurate - the card opens your hotel room door, gets you access to the park, and gets fastpasses if you obtain any (my party asked for the card over the MagicBand and used none of the extra features, just restaurant reservations made, which has been normal for WDW for years and not hooked to mymagic+). With an annual pass or day use ticket at Disneyland, they'd 'ping' you for those exact some points, minus the hotel I believe not being hooked in out here. Hooking your Key to the World card up for purchases via billing is possible I believe but still an 'opt in' feature. I'd be personally disappointed if the KttW card (only active when you scan it at a location yourself) went away in future but that is yet to be proven or stated as something which will happen.

Quote Originally Posted by CAspace View Post
    ...This "Next Gen" initative is nothing more then a Vons or Ralphs reward cards program, where shopping markets are able to track all customers purchases and then market specific products to them or sell the data to 3rd parties.
    I view Next Gen in the same way, so the negative reaction by so many is quite surprising. Most people already give away a huge amount of information by joining rewards programs, and Disney is bringing the same concepts to theme parks.

• Pilot EdForceOne

The RFID ticket offers contact reading capabilities - it's unclear if it offers the short range reading (UHF RFID). It's applications are all undisclosed at this point. I was speaking more to the digital profile. ADRs, photopass, reservations, are all compressing and Disney is doing more and more of the 'create your profile' first.. vs having it be a wallet. It will be harder and harder to NOT have a MDE profile.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by film975 View Post
    I have a really hard time thinking that after spending a billion + on this thing that they are just going to scrap it. Even if it doesn't turn a profit it will probably be the way it is. Too bad Disney, once the leader in ride attraction innovation, is now second to Universal in that department and using their resources in trying to take their customer's last dollar. The Wall Street System reminds me of the curse of the Midas touch.

Page 8 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789 LastLast