Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

• formerly very helpful

Re: So. We all know Tomorrowland is in dire need of help. What changes would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    I'd love to see horizons at DL. It was like the best worlds fair attraction I've ever seen. But in all honesty I can't imagine it fitting inside the current Tomorrowland. It was immense!
    I would think it's the kind of attraction where they could manipulate the track into a different configuration so it would fit, and still give the same basic effect.

Sadly, I think the odds are really, REALLY low that this will happen, however.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Re: So. We all know Tomorrowland is in dire need of help. What changes would you do?

Quote Originally Posted by fjhuerta View Post
    I'd love to see horizons at DL. It was like the best worlds fair attraction I've ever seen. But in all honesty I can't imagine it fitting inside the current Tomorrowland. It was immense!
    EPCOT's Horizon attraction took up 37,000 square feet of ground space.

Disneyland's Innoventions attractions takes up around 25,000 sq feet of ground (but that number goes up to over 32,000 if we square the building).....with another 10,000-15,000 available running up to the RR track.

It'd be a tight fit.....but EPCOT's wonderful Horizon attraction could be placed inside Tomorrowland with minimal sacrifice
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• formerly very helpful

That settles it. Now all we have to do is get Disney to agree to it and fund it!

• Singing Drinker

THAT much land, though, for a clone of an older ride rather than something new?
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    THAT much land, though, for a clone of an older ride rather than something new?
    I'am thinking more Horizonesque than an exact clone. Something that is aimed at a 2020 audience rather than one from 1983
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

I'd have to say dedicate solely to sci-fi, as much as I love the retro-futuriusm type attractions like Horizons and Carousel of Progress and etc. Basically, what would stay is Space Mountain, Star Tours, the Terrace eating complex and stage, and the PeopleMover track/platform - bring back the People Mover and put the Astro Orbiter back atop the platform with necessary reinforcement work. For the Buzz Lightyear space, close and gut that attraction, and put in Alien Encounter (NOT STITCH VERSION) from Florida with some tech updates and a 'scarier' preshow still keeping the satire of corporations from the original.

Remove the Captain EO theater and meld that with Redd Rocket's into a 'Mars and Beyond' omnimover dark ride, based on the Disneyland TV show episodes by Ward Kimball, with strange aliens, a trip through space, fantasy based stuff in a retro animated style and some hints of the public space travel stuff from the old Tomorrowland episodes at the beginning. Doing this would bring back the Space Mountain speedramps in front as well.

Innoventions/Autopia would be stripped down to the base, and the Nemo subs lagoon refurbished anew, keeping the interior caverns separate and 'dry', in order to make two new rides and landscaping adapted from DisneySea for stateside - the volcano/Journey To The Center of the Earth, and the lagoon hosting the first part (new 6 or 8 passenger vehicles on an overhead track plus dry-for-wet interior show scenes) for 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, both with Captain Nemo as the central hosting figure. This would give DL's Tomorrowland 5 new (as of currently) attractions while retaining three current ones, and make it all sci-fi adventures while keeping popular stuff and gaining a mix of classic Disney vibe material and the best of the new generation of Imagineering/rides. I'd love to see something like that done.
    Last edited by RegionsBeyond; 12-05-2013 at 05:33 PM.

• former CM

Ten Ways to Improve Tomorrowland

1. Get rid of entrance rocks.
    2. Move Astro-Orbiter back atop the Peoplemover structure.
    3. Keep Star Tours--add new adventures after the new film comes out.
    4. Keep Buzz. Make the alien targets much cooler looking except for Zurg.
    5. Expand Space Mountain to the much bigger Space Mountain Range featuring Star Wars.
    6. I used to work on the subs, but if something much cooler (NOT A STUPID EWOK VILLAGE! NOT JAR JAR'S SPINNER RIDE.) is imagined, replace it and Autopia.
    7. Keep the monorail.
    8. Bring back 360 Circlevision in 3D with new films and occasionally show some of the classics.
    9. Bring back the Carousel of Progress set at Disneyland hotel rooms or hosted by Tony Stark and his father. Set the last room in 2055 or 2084.
    10. Most importantly, either rip put the Peoplemover track or put in a new Peoplemover!

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by MRaymond View Post
    I'll look at this idea, attraction by attraction, with bigger ideas at the end.

1. Astro Orbiter- It's time for the AO and it's rocks to go away. There was no reason to remove it from its TL67 position. Do some asthetic updates and put it back.

2. Star Tours -The Adventures Continue - This is my favorite ride in Tomorrowland, and I do not think any changes are necessary. But I would like to see a few more destinations.

3. Buzz Lightyear Astro Blasters - Time for Buzz to move out. An improved ATIS could be put in. New technology can create a more realistic experience. Why not shrink down past the nucleus.
    OR let's go for a completely new ride: An interactive Mission Control, a robotic factory (Wall-E?) or some new dark ride experience with a futuristic bend.

4. Star Trader - Offer more land specific merchandise that isn't just franchises like Star Wars and Iron Man.

5. Buzz Lightyear store - Do we really need a second Star Trader? Tack the space on to the rehab of BLAB.

6. PeopleMover track - Return the People Mover to Tomorrowland except with a sleeker, modern design and slightly faster speed than the original. The track will need to be upgraded and smothed out. To ease congestion,
    remove the track section down the center of TL. Instead, the ride heads straight towards the upper level of the Starcade after loading. The existing track section that exits Astro Blaster will arch across to Star Tours. This arch will be the new gateway to TL.

7. Tomorrowland Terrace - Offer better food and put in more live entertainment.

8. Captain EO- Put the Jedi Training Academy in here. The theater can be totally themed for the experience or remove the roof and people can watch from above while waiting to enter SM.

9. Starcade - The upper level goes to the new PM. The lower level can go to an improved Space Mountain queue or enlarge Star Traders so we can use the Buzz Lightyear store for something usefull.

10. Space Mountain - This is my second favorite ride in Tomorrowland, but the indoor queue needs work. The claustrophobic hallway needs something interactive. What's behind the walls? Could they be pushed back a bit and add some scenery? Maybe a Mission Control. Put the windows back in so we can see the inside of the ride (remember that, old timers?) Put the speed ramps back in.

11. Pizza Port - Buy your pizza at the Tomorrowland Terrace. Offer higher quality food here. Since this was the old Mission to Mars building, make some references to it. An AA Mr. T. Morrow could come on once in a while with a short program (with appropriate lighting, video wall, etc) then close curtain when done. Or, put a new 'space based' attraction back in..

12. Autopia - Electric, Electric, Electric. Going to electric cars should have been done long ago. Without the problem of exhaust fumes, part of the track could go into an indoor, themed section.

13. Finding Nemo Submarine Voyage - Get rid of the Nemo theme and replace it with something closer to the original, exploring the dark depths of the ocean or how the oceans could be used more eco-friendly. The tech invented for Nemo could help make it look as realistic as possible or add some comic relief (like the sea monster used to).

14. Monorail - Perfect as it is. I do like the retro themeing.

15. Innoventions - I like the Carousel Building. Time for a new revolving show. I've always liked a "Carousel of Disney". The show highlights cutting edge technology of the past to the present, then the future using Disneyland as it's example. Ride tech, AA advancement, originality and future rides. It would also showcase how it all comes together. The host can be T. Morrow, Mr. Johnson (in NASA lab coat) or a new AA personality. Keep it fast paced and it stays interesting and it could be updated as needed. Put the speedramp back in after the last section and take the audience upstairs. The upper floor would have a model of Disneyland (with moving parts and articulation) and an AA narrator pointing out how the park has changed. The PeopleMover would have a peek into the show building at this level (like it did when the Epcot model was here). I thought about an AA Walt Disney opening the show but I'm sure some people would balk.

Overall land- Improve the cosmetics of the land by painting pretty much everything blue, white, silver, and gray with chrome accents. The architecture could be unified throughout and it needs lots of lighting at night. Since the PM track was removed down the center, replace the murals on ST and BLAB with video walls or place an overhead LED light show over the entire corridor (like they have in Vegas). During the day it's just a shade, at night it lights up. Returning the Mary Blair murals is also a nice touch. If they were destroyed, put the murals into the video wall show.

Improve on keeping the land clean, free of trash and chipped paint. Use landscaping and planters to add color.
    I like your ideas. This would be a great start!

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

Why the love for the People Movers? Can someone please explain this to me? I have never cared for them. I always thought they were lame even as a little kid. Help me out here.

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilkinson View Post
    Why the love for the People Movers? Can someone please explain this to me? I have never cared for them. I always thought they were lame even as a little kid. Help me out here.
    The great thing about the People Mover is that they provided a bit of kinetic energy to the land. At the same time, they provided a leisurely tour of the land, and acted as a more passive ride when compared to the high-octane thrills of a Space Mountain or Star Tours (or Autopia but that's a different kind of octane).

• Senior Minion

I loved the People Mover and it's a little hard to fully explain why. I think it was because it really showcased the park as the attraction itself. I always loved DL, so any opportunity to look at it from a different perspective was always appreciated. There was also just always something really cool about all the attractions that intertwined with each other. I always thought it was really cool to ride in a vehicle that traveled through buildings and outside. It was just really unique and something that was pretty iconic to TL and DL in general.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Minion

Tron and Meet the Robinsons would be major film-based aspects of a Tomorrowland overhaul for me. I don't think Sugar Rush is quite right for Tomorrowland, but I could see Buzz Lightyear being transformed into Hero's Duty since having two Toy Story shooters is kinda redundant. I'm definitely liking the idea of Mars and Beyond or Horizons being brought into the mix too and I think Star Tours could probably move out of Tomorrowland and become part of a Star Wars-based Third Gate. There was a discussion on 4chan's /co/ in a Disney Parks thread long ago about how one would fix Tomorrowland and someone suggested the idea of making the Magic Eye Theater have a rotating series of 3D films based on some of the old Tomorrowland themes like Inner-Space or Flight to the Moon.
    M-I-C-K-E-Y P-R-I-M-E

Flickr
    Lend a hand at Disney Wiki

Yeah I do agree that Sugar Rush doesn't fit into TL and frankly I think Autopia needs to go since it takes up so much value space. The question is will people let it go. If not maybe they could move the loading area to the north and take it out of TL.

I'm really curious how you imagine a "Meet the Robinsons" attraction.

To me TRON is a no brainier. I still do not understand why Disney hasn't developed a permanent attraction around it. I wonder if many WDI just don't get the appeal. Even though I said I would retool Space Mountain on TRON what I really would like is the RockNRoller coaster system used but with a TRON theme and in it's own area in DCA.

What do you guys think of adding the Sci-Fi Dine-in Theater in TL? And if yes, where? I've heard it talked about in the Cars Land but to me that's too many car oriented attractions.

• Former Churro Jockey

Well, I love the Sci-Fi Dine-in theater, but it doesn't belong in Tomorrowland. It's a drive in movie-theater, which is not futuristic, and it's showing horror movies from the 1950's and 1960's. It is a movie-based restaurant and it should be in Hollywoodland. They've got the Soap Opera Bistro restaurant sitting empty, so they might as well use it for something.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Well, I love the Sci-Fi Dine-in theater, but it doesn't belong in Tomorrowland. It's a drive in movie-theater, which is not futuristic, and it's showing horror movies from the 1950's and 1960's. It is a movie-based restaurant and it should be in Hollywoodland. They've got the Soap Opera Bistro restaurant sitting empty, so they might as well use it for something.
    Well it's called the *Sci-Fi* dine-in theater isn't it? Just because they show horror movies at DHS doesn't mean you have to show them here. You could keep the sci-fi theme in what is shown. I don't think it nesscarily has to be in Hollywoodland. I think it could work in either place. I kind of like the idea of having the same attraction but in a different setting. Think outside the berm. Anyway isn't the Soap Opera Bistro being used for Disney Jr.? If any place at DCA I could see it in the old Hollywood and Dine building.

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast