View Poll Results: When will RFID Tickets come to Disney and DCA?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think they're already there.

1 4.00%
  • In the next 3 months.

1 4.00%
  • In the next year.

9 36.00%
  • Never.

14 56.00%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

• Blew By You

Re: When Will RFID Tickets come to Disneyland and DCA?

A day at Disneyland ought to be like a day in a park. I don't think that this quaint idea is useless. We're hearded into this bad RFID plan by ruthless profit pirates. I don't want to be tracked to optimize profits. My movement information ought not to be used by Disney in anyway to help them maximize profits. I do not work for their company.

• The doctor is in

Hopefully never, but probably within the next year or two.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    My movement information ought not to be used by Disney in anyway to help them maximize profits. I do not work for their company.
    I'm sorry - that belief is just naive of what happens every day in every business. Analzying the customer behavior in fine detail is a core premise in retail, websites, etc. Websites track what pages you enter from, what you search, how long you spend on certain pages, what pages you might abandon, etc. Retail studies how product placement on the shelf vs pathways, heights, collections, etc... all in the interest of maximizing sales and profits.

I get you might be opposed to wearing something that tracks you - but being opposed to being tracked, or studied in the interest of maximizing profits... that's just being oblivious to what is happening around you all the time... and is NOT new to the digital age. It's a core part of sales, especially retail, for decades.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

There seems to be a lot of overly paranoid people...

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    I don't use Facebook - period.
    If you visit any website with a facebook like button anywhere on it, Facebook is tracking you. It is a beautifully coded and thought out system. Quite elegant and beautiful really as it manages to track just about everyone who uses the internet anywhere on Earth. And oh, MiceAge has a Facebook like button. Welcome to the Facebook family.

I know a cell service gets my ping every time I pass within range of a tower, and that does slightly irritate me - I'd rather they enabled a setting to only update when asked.
    Well, the reason they can't implement an update only when you ask is that you'd never get phone calls from anyone, ever. The system needs to know what cell tower to route phone calls to in order to reach you. That means updating, fairly frequently in case you are on the move, which tower has the strongest signal to you. They "ping" towers every 30 seconds or so to update the system as to where to send calls and check to see if they need to register with new towers.

I tend to use cash as much as possible at the parks - always if I can. It not only is not trackable
    Cash is every bit as trackable as any other "anonymously" tracked purchase. Every bill is individually numbered. Just because no one currently tracks the bill serial numbers and ties them to a purchase record (how cc purchases are tracked) doesn't mean someone can't or won't. Just saying.

I don't see how giving Disney a tracking chip for me is something I should ENJOY or VOLUNTARILY do.
    Oh, that wasn't my suggestion. At all. I have no problems if people don't want to participate in this. My point was that what Disney is doing is not new in any way. This kind of tracking has been going on for a long time. That was all my point was.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Special Agent

Quote Originally Posted by bayouguy View Post
    A day at Disneyland ought to be like a day in a park. I don't think that this quaint idea is useless.
    The idea isn't useless, but simply impractical to implement. The only real way to return to that quiet park like feeling is to raise prices to the point that attendance is only around a third to a half of what it is now.

The parks are busy, people love going, and Disney is trying to create a way to ensure their guests have a way to see the things that are important to them while navigating the maddening crowds. Its a win-win for everyone.

• MaliBOOMer

I do believe RFID is coming. However I hope they don't go to turnstile free entry. I hope they use RFID turnstile entry, kind of like what you see at a Ski Resort. I also hope FP isn't changed. I hate the idea of the three limited and tiered FP+ reservations. It's seriously hinders what you can get out of FP and paves the way for pay per ride FP's.
    Favorite Ride: Indiana Jones Adventure

Sign the Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/goo...-original-form

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by Quentin View Post
    It's seriously hinders what you can get out of FP and paves the way for pay per ride FP's.
    How does it hinder? We come during peak summer months. We use FP as printed guidelines direct, returning within the hour window. Rarely do we have more than 2 attraction FPs on us at any time and quite often we don't have any. We rarely wait in lines longer than 20-30 minutes and over the course of 3 days ride every major attraction multiple times and average, easily, 17 rides/day. This also includes seeing Fantasmic!, fireworks and WoC as well as all the rides.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Vidia's Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Serendie View Post
    There seems to be a lot of overly paranoid people...
    Yes it's the information age. A lot of people are having a hard time adjusting and would seem to be content in a bunker (with a sign that says get off my lawn you unruly kids, of course)

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by Jayce View Post
    Yes it's the information age. A lot of people are having a hard time adjusting and would seem to be content in a bunker (with a sign that says get off my lawn you unruly kids, of course)
    Alternately, those of us who apparently are "paranoid" could just be a bit upset that something corporations find of GREAT value and go to fairly advanced means to acquire is also something we should just shut up, smile, and surrender with no recourse as to how it is used on or against us.

I should add I'm not against aggregate data. I have no issue AT ALL with a company recording it's sales and breaking down the interactions on that level. I have no issue with a tracker counting *anonymous* individuals passing x point during y time of day at z volume.

This is information a company can acquire *without* personal privacy invasions. It worked remarkably well to run theme parks with for decades.
    Last edited by BogLurch; 12-05-2013 at 02:31 PM.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• MaliBOOMer

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    How does it hinder? We come during peak summer months. We use FP as printed guidelines direct, returning within the hour window. Rarely do we have more than 2 attraction FPs on us at any time and quite often we don't have any. We rarely wait in lines longer than 20-30 minutes and over the course of 3 days ride every major attraction multiple times and average, easily, 17 rides/day. This also includes seeing Fantasmic!, fireworks and WoC as well as all the rides.
    When you use FP's to their full potential and always get the next one as soon as possible. You can, even during summer crowds push 30 rides a day without waiting in super long lines. It requires an aggressive pace, but it's doable. I usually get more than 17 FP's a day. If you take advantage of the fact that the parks aren't connected to each other and RSR and Screamin' aren't networked you can really get a lot of FP rides in. FP+ limits you to 3 FP's, that would be a huge blow for me.
    Last edited by Quentin; 12-05-2013 at 03:09 PM.
    Favorite Ride: Indiana Jones Adventure

Sign the Petition: https://www.change.org/petitions/goo...-original-form

• враг народа

Blog Entries

They provide no real, tangible benefit that makes them worth the privacy issues relating to them. If they are to be implemented, they should be 100% voluntary. Paper media should be available to anyone not wishing to be tracked.

Barring that, there are a number of low cost insulating 'protectors' that will happily lock the tracking chip inside an envelope of non-communication where the only time you would be tracked is when you explicitly remove the ticket from the protector.
    There is no additional tracking with the RFID cards beyond knowing more specifically when you utilize a FastPass. It is the MagicBands that feature the non-explicit tracking.

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    There is no additional tracking with the RFID cards beyond knowing more specifically when you utilize a FastPass. It is the MagicBands that feature the non-explicit tracking.
    Realized that this morning - had been conflating the two. Figured freeform ranting against RFID would eventually wind up being appropriate.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123