View Poll Results: When will RFID Tickets come to Disney and DCA?

Voters
25. You may not vote on this poll
  • I think they're already there.

1 4.00%
  • In the next 3 months.

1 4.00%
  • In the next year.

9 36.00%
  • Never.

14 56.00%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

• Banned User

Question When Will RFID Tickets come to Disneyland and DCA?

Cruising around the net and I saw some pictures of the new RFID entry-ways at WDW (the turnstiles for entry are gone!).

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread - Page 55 - Theme Park Review

Gotta say Iím very impressed, theyíve got a whole freakiní row of the Mickey poles on either side, a cast member behind four Mickey poles, so they can admit guests in parallel, instead of one at a time. It seems to me that this will greatly increase efficiency, and drastically cut the wait time to get into the park, which can be a pain.

If a single guest, on average, saves 7 minutes before entering the park, thatís an extra 2 million hours of park time, some of that will be spent buying stuff. Then thereís the intangibles with regards to less aggravation for guests, especially those super long lines in the morning.

It could revolutionize the Fast Pass system as you could use a display inside Disneyland to make a FastPass reservation in DCA.

Iím thinking itís only a matter of time before it comes to DLR. Disney is going to make a fortune off of just this, IMHO, and they donít have to repair those card reader machines and turnstiles anymore. Guess its good that they filmed Saving Mr. Banks at Disneyland when there still was turnstiles!

• Down Pluto!

Re: When Will RFID Tickets come to Disneyland and DCA?

Hopefully - Never.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• -

I hope they do it soon. So much potential.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

• MaliBOOMer

RFID tickets will probably come. Hopefully FP+ never does.
    Favorite Ride: Tower of Terror

• Singing Drinker

They provide no real, tangible benefit that makes them worth the privacy issues relating to them. If they are to be implemented, they should be 100% voluntary. Paper media should be available to anyone not wishing to be tracked.

Barring that, there are a number of low cost insulating 'protectors' that will happily lock the tracking chip inside an envelope of non-communication where the only time you would be tracked is when you explicitly remove the ticket from the protector.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• -

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    anyone not wishing to be tracked.
    What exactly are people afraid of with this? It's not like they are being tracked by a bunch of mercenaries with machine guns. It is more about personalizing the guest experience and making offers to them based on the things that they like.

Other than that, who cares if Disney knows exactly where I am at all times within their parks? If they really want to know how often I take my kids to the restroom, more power to them.
    "Greetings, Starfighter! You have been recruited by the Star League to defend the Frontier against Xur and the Ko-Dan Armada."

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by calsig31 View Post
    What exactly are people afraid of with this? It's not like they are being tracked by a bunch of mercenaries with machine guns. It is more about personalizing the guest experience and making offers to them based on the things that they like.

Other than that, who cares if Disney knows exactly where I am at all times within their parks? If they really want to know how often I take my kids to the restroom, more power to them.
    It's not fear. It's a distaste for having anyone I do not explicitly grant permission to assuming I want them following me, marketing to me, trying to chisel away at what *I* wish to do in order to route me into a less fulfilling profit-centric path.

I don't give anyone that permission, and fight when companies assume I would somehow wish it otherwise.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Minion

it's not practical with DL's local audience

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

The RFID tickets are used solely for entry and can be used to make purchases if you hook them into that - the entry system at WDW is vastly superior and faster to what is at Disneyland now. I am all for AP's and day-use/hopper tickers alike being coded with length of stay or allowed admission and removing the turnstyles. The ticket does not equate to the same level as the MagicBand, which I refused to use when visiting WDW, or the MyMagic+ level (which can be an option for those who want it) - so I'd welcome the ticket coming out West and attendant admission system, which is also fingerprint dependent, which they've had at WDW for years and a lot faster than the taking photos at the gates which has made the Disneyland lines slow to a crawl recently.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    The RFID tickets are used solely for entry and can be used to make purchases if you hook them into that - the entry system at WDW is vastly superior and faster to what is at Disneyland now. I am all for AP's and day-use/hopper tickers alike being coded with length of stay or allowed admission and removing the turnstyles. The ticket does not equate to the same level as the MagicBand, which I refused to use when visiting WDW, or the MyMagic+ level (which can be an option for those who want it) - so I'd welcome the ticket coming out West and attendant admission system, which is also fingerprint dependent, which they've had at WDW for years and a lot faster than the taking photos at the gates which has made the Disneyland lines slow to a crawl recently.
    USH's been using a non-chipped fingerprint linked system for at least a few years now. It doesn't particularly bog up the entry queues unless there's an error, and they seem in my experience to run about par with Disney for errors.

Having the biometric linked to it removes the need to have the information stored on the ticket. It's on an account level for APs (presumably a limited-term ticket such as Disney's 5-Day could have a temporary admission file including the photo associated with it), accessed only as needed for park admission (at least from what they are willing to discuss with an extremely interested customer).
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    It's not fear. It's a distaste for having anyone I do not explicitly grant permission to assuming I want them following me, marketing to me, trying to chisel away at what *I* wish to do in order to route me into a less fulfilling profit-centric path.
    Credit/debit cards have been used for this purpose for close to 30 years now. Stores routinely track purchases tied to zip code and cards. They can recognize you coming through the store again just by your purchases. They don't need a name. Your purchase activity becomes your ID. Often times flyers are sent out by stores to zip codes based on purchases made by people in that area. If you tie a "loyalty" account to your purchase, they know it is you even more definitely.

Facebook tracks non-members even. You visit any site that has a Facebook like button on it and your every page visit to any FB enabled site is being tracked by FB. Should you ever create an account, that massive amount of data will be tied to your new account.

Google? Yeah.

Smartphones and all their associated apps send "anonymous usage statistics" that frequently include local wi-fi connection and location data. Even the places you tap on a touch screen are sent. Not to mention what you do with the app. All of this can be used to track you and market to you.

Anonymous just means your name or social security number isn't tied to the data. But that doesn't mean they can't identify you. The patterns contained in your data (you do follow patterns of purchasing, usage, etc) become your identity and computers are VERY good at identifying these patterns.

A university recently published a paper about how they can accurately identify individuals based solely on how and where they touch the screen on a smart phone.

Do we need to get in to the NSA?

You have been tracked, mostly unknowingly and without express consent, for nigh on 3 decades now. The amount of data gathered by retail stores, both physical and online, websites, devices, etc would probably scare and alarm everyone.

Now, when it comes to Disney, they are already tracking you. You use a FastPass and you are tracked. You either have to put a ticket or an AP in the machine. Both have barcodes and are tied to a person, recently with a photo even. Now they can see how long between FP requests, what rides, etc. This tracking is literally nothing new. If you are an AP, they're tracking your purchases as well when you use your discount, both at retail and food locations.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

• Singing Drinker

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    Credit/debit cards have been used for this purpose for close to 30 years now. Stores routinely track purchases tied to zip code and cards. They can recognize you coming through the store again just by your purchases. They don't need a name. Your purchase activity becomes your ID. Often times flyers are sent out by stores to zip codes based on purchases made by people in that area. If you tie a "loyalty" account to your purchase, they know it is you even more definitely.

Facebook tracks non-members even. You visit any site that has a Facebook like button on it and your every page visit to any FB enabled site is being tracked by FB. Should you ever create an account, that massive amount of data will be tied to your new account.

Google? Yeah.

Smartphones and all their associated apps send "anonymous usage statistics" that frequently include local wi-fi connection and location data. Even the places you tap on a touch screen are sent. Not to mention what you do with the app. All of this can be used to track you and market to you.

Anonymous just means your name or social security number isn't tied to the data. But that doesn't mean they can't identify you. The patterns contained in your data (you do follow patterns of purchasing, usage, etc) become your identity and computers are VERY good at identifying these patterns.

A university recently published a paper about how they can accurately identify individuals based solely on how and where they touch the screen on a smart phone.

Do we need to get in to the NSA?

You have been tracked, mostly unknowingly and without express consent, for nigh on 3 decades now. The amount of data gathered by retail stores, both physical and online, websites, devices, etc would probably scare and alarm everyone.

Now, when it comes to Disney, they are already tracking you. You use a FastPass and you are tracked. You either have to put a ticket or an AP in the machine. Both have barcodes and are tied to a person, recently with a photo even. Now they can see how long between FP requests, what rides, etc. This tracking is literally nothing new. If you are an AP, they're tracking your purchases as well when you use your discount, both at retail and food locations.
    I don't use Facebook - period. I don't participate in "real name" forums or do all that much online, and I curate what I *do* participate in to make sure I remain as below-the-line on any searches as possible. I'm VERY aware of where I am and where I am not being tracked, and the argument that just because it's done means I should be OK with it is patently offensive to anyone with a concern for personal privacy. Hell, I've even managed to avoid a smart phone, have never installed an app, and am still functioning in today's world. I know a cell service gets my ping every time I pass within range of a tower, and that does slightly irritate me - I'd rather they enabled a setting to only update when asked.

I tend to use cash as much as possible at the parks - always if I can. It not only is not trackable, but it means I keep better tabs on the overall budget for the trip.

I don't see how giving Disney a tracking chip for me is something I should ENJOY or VOLUNTARILY do. They are giving me literally nothing in exchange for something I hold in high value - my personal habits, preferences and activities. If they're going to insist on tracking, there should be a payment to the trackee. Then again, I've felt the same about social media since it started.
    Woo! Spring is coming!

• Banned User

We are all being tracked. I know that, but Disney tracking you could be different. It means you have no control. With credit cards, facebook, smart phones, you have a certain degree of control of the situation. You can decide to use a different card, you can avoid accessing Facebook for the day, you can turn off your phone. With RFID tickets, you cannot avoid how you're being tracked.

•   
      MiceChat Administrator
    • Working Late

Blog Entries

The problem at Disneyland as mentioned in the recent MiceChat article is that Disneyland's entrance is just minutes from Harbour Boulevard compared to Walt Disney World's theme park entrances which are well within Disney property and buffered by layers and layers of company run transportation, parking etc.

Now, it is true that there are the security tents but in general it would be far to easy for a large protest or disturbance to descend on Disneyland's gates and push into the parks if there wasn't some form of barrier there such as the gates.

To that end, I don't think the wide open entrance that you see at WDW will ever be replicated at Disneyland.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by chesirecat View Post
    [FONT=Helvetica]Cruising around the net and I saw some pictures of the new RFID entry-ways at WDW (the turnstiles for entry are gone!).

Walt Disney World Epcot Discussion Thread - Page 55 - Theme Park Review

Gotta say I’m very impressed, they’ve got a whole freakin’ row of the Mickey poles on either side, a cast member behind four Mickey poles, so they can admit guests in parallel, instead of one at a time. It seems to me that this will greatly increase efficiency, and drastically cut the wait time to get into the park, which can be a pain
    As pointed out in the other thread - the article you are linked to is from 2011 and shows what was done at EPCOT when the rfid readers were first tested. It doesn't reflect AT ALL what the actual implementation looks like.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast