Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Resident Fangirl

Five and Dime Wardrobe Change

I heard a rumor that Dime got a new dress for the Five and Dime show on Buena Vista Street and that a number of people were angry. So I investigated. And...It's not pretty.

I miss the pretty flapper dress she wore already! Was there some sort of show issue with the dress and they had to put her in this new one? And why such jarring colors?
    Attached Images Attached Images  

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

Re: Five and Dime Wardrobe Change

The old dress was certainly classy for sure, and suited the area. This one reads strangely childish/Hansel and Gretel fairytale European, almost, which is a little weird. Not a deal killer as they will still perform the same, but not the best choice of wardrobe and a downgrade from something that was nice as-is. Maybe trying to discourage perceived fan obsession of an unsavory sort...?
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

She looks sort of...pumpkin-ey? I'm hoping it's seasonal. Although given the Christmassey nature of things lately, that excuse would've made more sense a month ago.

• DisneyBounder

I wonder why the change? Hopefully it wasn't some ridiculous complaint. After all, the flapper girl was considered to be more of the promiscuous nature. Either way, this look is nice but the flapper is more in tune with jazz.

• Resident Fangirl

Quote Originally Posted by RegionsBeyond View Post
    The old dress was certainly classy for sure, and suited the area. This one reads strangely childish/Hansel and Gretel fairytale European, almost, which is a little weird. Not a deal killer as they will still perform the same, but not the best choice of wardrobe and a downgrade from something that was nice as-is. Maybe trying to discourage perceived fan obsession of an unsavory sort...?
    I'd agree with the last statement if it wasn't for the fact that I don't think her flapper dress was particularly revealing.

But you're right, they still perform the same so it's still a delight to watch them. I'll just miss the way the fringes spun around when she moved!

•   
      MiceChat Round-Up Crew
      MiceChat Moderator
    • Unnatural and dreadful

I don't either but seems like an arbitrary change to make, without any reason, even a ridiculous one - there was a matter of some fans getting a little too 'fixated' on the Mad T Party band members doing meet and greets, and the issue with that certain Peter Pan, in the past few years, so non-fur performers have generated some reaction on Disney's part in regulating them more in recent times.
    when the spooks have a midnight jamboree....

• Done with MC.

People were mad about a dress? Mad??

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

The new dress is not nearly as attractive, and looks a heckuvlot more cheap, than her flapper dress.

Is DCA going down the "CHEAP" route, again?!?!?!?!?!?

oh, boy, this ain't good . . . . .

• No Light, No Light

Sometimes these arbitrary changes baffle me. The original was great and matched the theme. This looks like a fast food uniform.

•   
    • Minion

The new dress looks like something a sales clerk would wear. She needs her flapper costume back ASAP!

Flappers did historically have a reputation for being sexually open/party-girls, but there was nothing like that in the show, and the dress wasn't revealing at all. The new dress is just way too subdued. Even if the powers that be didn't want her to be a flapper anymore, they could have at least come up with something more flattering and interesting.

And that dress looks far more 30s than 20s.
    Last edited by Malina; 12-04-2013 at 07:48 PM.

Wow, that new dress is hideous! I would really love to know the reason behind that change.

• The Tomorrowland One

The old dress was ... not fun to maintain from what I know. Seems odd to be the main reason to change it if it is, but I could see that being a big factor as to why.

• Lurking in the corners

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Malina View Post
    The new dress looks like something a sales clerk would wear. She needs her flapper costume back ASAP!

And that dress looks far more 30s than 20s.
    I was thinking 40's swing dancer, but I agree it looks more like a sales clerk outfit.

Quote Originally Posted by Autopia View Post
    The old dress was ... not fun to maintain from what I know. Seems odd to be the main reason to change it if it is, but I could see that being a big factor as to why.
    I did a murder mystery that ran once a week for 6 months and it was a 20s show. The flapper outfit I wore had pretty high quality fringe but still had to be replaced every 2 months because the fringe would unravel/pull out if it snagged on anything. I imagine the fringe on Dime's dress was the same.

Oh, and the question someone asked about the "jarring colors" of the outfit? Look at the guys outfits... I'd say they are jarring as well.

“That's the way a lot of things happen... You think one person did something
    but he was just the one to put the color on it." – Ken Anderson
    ​I'm blogging here again!

• Sock Puppet

Whoa! First thing I thought of, when I saw that outfit was... McDonald's - circa 1975.

• formerly very helpful

When did they introduce this? I saw the show Thanksgiving week and it was the flapper dress.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast