Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

DCA: What are the buildings near Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sully to the Rescue?

Hi all! I'm curious about these two buildings in DCA's Hollywoodland:

Name:  dca.jpg
Views: 577
Size:  84.4 KB

Are they used for anything? What are their histories? I've tried looking online but can't seem to find an answer. They seem awfully large to just be sitting there unused.

Thanks!

• Minion

Re: DCA: What are the buildings near Monsters, Inc. Mike & Sully to the Rescue?

The one to the left housed the Character Dance Party that occurred in the summer. It's really just an empty space with some chairs, a large open area in the middle, and a stage with a DJ. Inside, kids and their parents can dance, and several characters are inside to dance and mingle with. It's a poor excuse for an attraction, but kids seem to have fun, and watching little ones get personal moments with characters makes me happier than anything.
    To my knowledge, it used to be the Who Wants to be a Millionaire show.

The building to the left is currently the arcade for Mad T Party. It used to be Flynn's Arcade for Electronica, and before that was a restaurant--I believe Hollywood & Vine? The food court themed to different Hollywood landmarks.

• Minion

The one on the left of Monsters is the former "Who Wants To Be a Millionaire - Play It" building. It opened on September 14, 2001 and closed on August 20, 2004. In recent times, it has been used for special events and for Dancing With Disney, where children get to dance with their favorite Disney characters.
    Here is an article for more info: Who Wants to Be a Millionaire - Play It! at Yesterland
    Here is a video from the Disney World version.

On the right is the old Hollywood and Dine building which opened with DCA on Feb 8, 2001. It was a restaurant. For Electronica, it was used as Flynn's Arcade.
    Hollywood & Dine at Yesterland

• враг народа

Blog Entries

TylerDurden is correct. Here are the respective pages on Yesterland.

Who Wants to Be a Millionaire - Play It! at Yesterland
    Hollywood & Dine at Yesterland

• Minion

Two big failures from DCA 1.0 that should be re-purposed!!!!!!

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Does anyone know if the old Hollywood and Dine building still has a kitchen? If the Kitchen was torn out, does anyone know what they did with the equipment in there, since they would have still been fairly new, when Hollywood and Dine closed?

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Agreed

• Senior Monorail Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Aladdin View Post
    Does anyone know if the old Hollywood and Dine building still has a kitchen? If the Kitchen was torn out, does anyone know what they did with the equipment in there, since they would have still been fairly new, when Hollywood and Dine closed?
    Its a large building, and the arcade is small. You can clearly see if you look up that the walls are false, which makes me assume the good service locations are still behind them and that the kitchens are as well.
    WELCOME ABOARD
    THE DISNEYLAND MONORAIL SYSTEM!
    by intoxication, i'm pretty sure the OP meant that disneyland just gave us a free acid trip.
    -PLAUGED reffering to the Winnie the Pooh ride...

Too bad they're in idea-poor Hollywoodland. DCA desperately needs more darkrides. If they used traditional tracked vehicles, they wouldn't necessarily be that expensive to build. But what would you put in those? They would probably have to be FL-style 3 minute rides.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Prince Ali

Quote Originally Posted by biggsworth View Post
    Well, I have to disagree that those were 2 BIG failures of DCA, and

WWTBAM PI didn't actually open with DCA 1.0. (So I wouldn't consider it part of DCA 1.0 ) Its building was rushed into construction, when reviews started coming in, complaining of a lack of attractions in DCA. This could hardly be considered a failure, as it was a popular attraction. Certainly more popular than the "Superstar Limo" that was located next door, and nearly closed before WWTBAM PI opened its doors for the first time.

As for Hollywood and Dine, I actually really liked this, as it had more of a variety of food, than anywhere else in DCA. It was actually 4 different "restaurant" choices, in a food court type area, with one combined checkout area. It's only failure was an out of the way location. The real restaurant failure in Hollywood Studios Backlot District was the Soap Opera Bistro, which was located in what is now Playhouse Disney. Unlike Hollywood and Dine, the Soap Opera Bistro had a prime location, but the Soap Opera theme and the overpriced meals of the bistro just couldn't compete with the Wiener stand across the street.

However I do agree that these two larger buildings should find better uses than a temporary arcade and seldom used dancing with characters facility.

• Minion

WWTBAM PI didn't actually open with DCA 1.0. (So I wouldn't consider it part of DCA 1.0 ) Its building was rushed into construction, when reviews started coming in, complaining of a lack of attractions in DCA. This could hardly be considered a failure, as it was a popular attraction. Certainly more popular than the "Superstar Limo" that was located next door, and nearly closed before WWTBAM PI opened its doors for the first time.

As for Hollywood and Dine, I actually really liked this, as it had more of a variety of food, than anywhere else in DCA. It was actually 4 different "restaurant" choices, in a food court type area, with one combined checkout area. It's only failure was an out of the way location. The real restaurant failure in Hollywood Studios Backlot District was the Soap Opera Bistro, which was located in what is now Playhouse Disney. Unlike Hollywood and Dine, the Soap Opera Bistro had a prime location, but the Soap Opera theme and the overpriced meals of the bistro just couldn't compete with the Wiener stand across the street.

However I do agree that these two larger buildings should find better uses than a temporary arcade and seldom used dancing with characters facility.

Oh yeah who could forget the awesomeness of superstar limo!!!! That whole area stinks IMO!!!!

• Not the Hawkguy

Exactly. WWTBAM PI was one of the few successes of DCA prior to the rebuilding effort, and Hollywood and Dine suffered more from location (hidden in a corner of the least visited part of the park next to one of the worst attractions in history) than anything else.

Honestly, reopening Hollywood and Dine and creating a more permanent indoor bar to serve the Mad T Party would be a smart play. Move the arcade over to the old WWTBAM PI building (or better, get rid of it entirely unless you plan on actually keeping it open all day instead of only at night).

The food service stations are all still there. That building is now being used as a dressing/holding area for the performers for the Disney's Magic Music Days program. They perform on the stage right across from Monster's Inc.

• Singing Drinker

They also used the Hollywood & Dine building for AP events on a few occasions.
    There's nothing like being in heavy rehearsal for a new season to remind you that this isn't just a hobby.

•   
    • Minion

You know, all the themed dining areas in Hollywood & Dine look really intriguing. I'm sorry I didn't get to see it in person!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast