• Level 7 Galactic Hero

A third park idea...

Who knows how many times we bring up this subject, but this idea may be the best idea that I have for a third park. Hear me out on this one.

Everyone has gone on and on about (from what I have gathered) Star Wars in Tomorrowland, the over-looming shadow of Pixar, the needed presence of Marvel, and even a lack of Muppets in the parks. And now with the recent acquiring of the Indiana Jones franchise by Disney, it seems that even more influence may be coming soon. And here's where it gets interesting.

What if Disney put all these into one park as a third gate?

The Toy Story lot would make way for another theme park, with a new structure planned either on the current Pumbaa or Simba Lots.

While a name is still debatable, its central theme would be the adventures and excitement that these worlds of brought us. Here is the general layout.

Entry Plaza
    -This area would be placed where cars currently enter/exit through on Katella. A magnificent entry gate beckons guests to explore the new realms.
    -As guests enter, they enter right onto a long road, with the restaurants/shops representing a utopian society, where future and present seem to mesh into one.

Marvel Universe
    -The first land takes guests to the world of Marvel, where (appropriately) the Stark Expo is taking place. In this New York's Fair-style setting, some of the biggest rides call this place home. An Iron Man experience (not to be confused with HKDL's upcoming ride), a Thor-themed family ride, a Captain America-themed diner, and an Avengers-themed thrill ride.

The World of Star Wars
    -Star Wars will finally have the presence that fanboys and guests can enjoy. New Star Wars attractions, eateries, and shops will take place here. Not only that, but Star Tours will move from its home in TL and take a new place in this land (thus giving another chance for a new TL attraction).

Muppet Studios
    -The Muppets haven't had the presence that Disney or fans wish to have. Here, four attractions make up the Muppet Studios. One being a moved Muppet Vision 3D, a Muppet Labs (adjacent to MP3D), a Fozzie comedy club, and the ride that never was: The Great Muppet Movie Ride. Swedish Chef's Kitchen acts as the restaurant for the area, and the Scooter Prop Shop and Muppet Stuff Store holds Muppet memorabilia for any Muppet fan.

Adventures of Indiana Jones
    -While certainly a smaller area, it does hold two attractions: a mine coaster based off of the Temple of Doom and a walkthrough/ special effects show where guests follow Indy through a temple and end up in the middle of a raging inferno a la Poseidon's Fury/Backdraft. This land is the one that could grow as time moves on.

Well, it's only a rough idea, but what do you guys think of it? Anything more to add?
    Last edited by DisneylandMaster; 12-08-2013 at 04:10 PM.
    Stopping in the middle is
    DISTINCTLY
    UNPATRIOTIC!

Re: A third park idea...

I just can't imagine that Disney would ever theme an entire park around specific franchises.

I still think Disney needs to build a water slide theme park in Anaheim, CA. There are numerous water slide attractions that could have that Marvel or Star Wars theme to them. They could also do a combination style water slide/ride theme park. DCA has only 1 water ride, while Disneyland has numerous. I would go to Disneyland Resort for at least a week if they added a water slide park to Disneyland Resort. I would actually make it a vacation for me & my family, instead of Florida.

I don't have any objections to the individual attractions you've described, but I'm not clear on the connective tissue that characterizes this third park. As you've described it, it feels a rather like a catch-all for newly acquired franchises, a bit like "The Island of Misfit Toys".

You mention adventure as a guiding principal, but I'm not sure that's specific enough to make sense of features as disparate as Indiana Jones, Muppets, and Marvel living side-by-side. Muppets end up feeling like "one of these things is not like the others."

I don't mean that as a critique of your idea, I'm just not totally clear on the theme of this 3rd park. Can you tell us more? What's the world that connects them all?

A couple of side questions:

If Star Tours leaves DL, what goes in its place & how is the theme of Tomorrowland impacted by the existence of the new park?

Likewise, if there's a whole Indy Land in the 3rd Park, what happens to the existing attraction in DL and Adventureland?

Quote Originally Posted by emwhysee View Post
    A couple of side questions:

If Star Tours leaves DL, what goes in its place & how is the theme of Tomorrowland impacted by the existence of the new park?

Likewise, if there's a whole Indy Land in the 3rd Park, what happens to the existing attraction in DL and Adventureland?
    That's the first thing that came to mind as well... I can only imagine the OP is expecting that new attractions can be built in both places, but I think we can all look and think that maybe they can have the star wars theme and not star tours. Though admittedly it'd feel odd, it could always be done without it.

I kind of like the idea for the opening, but I can definitely see it as being partially inspired by the Canyon of Heroes in NY, though I don't quite know how you could give that epic feeling without having a very large opening place (though if Disney did decide to go through that, they could have 2 story shops).

Most of this seems to mesh kind of ok, but unless the park was themed more like an um... I hesitate to say this, but, the land ideas seem like they would do well in Hollywood Studios, better than they would for a third gate in Anaheim. All that's needed is a "Pixar Studios" section and it seems like it'd fit pretty well.

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by DisneylandMaster View Post
    Muppet Studios
    -The Muppets haven't had the presence that Disney or fans wish to have. Here, four attractions make up the Muppet Studios. One being a moved Muppet Vision 3D, a Muppet Labs (adjacent to MP3D), a Fozzie comedy club, and the ride that never was: The Great Muppet Movie Ride. Swedish Chef's Kitchen acts as the restaurant for the area, and the Scooter Prop Shop and Muppet Stuff Store holds Muppet memorabilia for any Muppet fan.
    A lot f the ideas you've mentioned have been tossed around here and there on MiceChat, but I like your ideas for the Muppet area. I personally would love to see more Muppet attractions other than just the 3D show in DCA.

Along Star Wars, Marvel, Muppets, and Indy, I think the the 3rd gate should have a lot of DISNEY characters and stories present. I've mentioned in other posts that I'd love to see a state of the art Sleepy Hollow dark ride, and I think rides based on other old, classic cartoons and shorts would be great as they don't get much representation in the parks.

Even though I already mentioned what I think would most likely go into a 3rd gate my dream would be "Walt Disney World of Adventure" -- based on Tokyo DisneySea.

Mediterranean Harbor (entrance)

Mysterious Island: Mount Prometheus, Journey to the Center of the Earth, Nautilus walkthrough and Capitan Nemo's underwater restaurant.

Lost River Delta: Indiana Jones Temple of the Forbidden Eye and a Jungle Book-themed flume ride.

African Oasis: Jungle Cruise, Lion King, Tarzan-themed spinning coaster through the trees.

Aladdin's Land -with a proper dark ride on a 'magic carpet' that flies over Agrabah.

Star Wars Land (WDWA's Tomorrowland)

I love the theme of Adventureland but have always been a little disappointed that it's it such a confining space in Disneyland that it's not able to expand. I would love a whole park dedicated just to Adventureland. It's very highly unlikely this would ever happen but it's my fantasy.

If by some miracle they did this I would turn the current Adventureland into an expansion of New Orleans Square -with "Tiana's Place" restaurant, the Jungle Cruise would become boat ride through the alligator infested Bayou, past an abandon Spanish fort said to be haunted by the pirates who were held there. Tarzan's treehouse would become Mama Odie's Treehouse, and Doctor Facilier's would have his "Friends on the Other Side" show. I don't what I'd do with the show building housing Indy but maybe some sort of second the Pirates of Caribbean-themed ride?

I like your idea of a Marvel Universe in a New York's Fair-style setting and I could see Tomorrowland becoming this - sort of mix of Marvel, EPCOT Future World and classic Tomorrowland.
    Last edited by Mark Wilkinson; 12-10-2013 at 10:23 AM.

I've always thought Disney should build a water park, especially with the closing of Wild Rivers in Irvine. It seems like a natural.

But what I would do differently is build it as an indoor/outdoor park so it could be open 365 days a year, not the 120-150 days that most So Cal water parks are open.

The only negative in my mind was always the possibility that locals could overwhelm the park so if I sold annual passes they would either be expensive or have lots of summer black out days.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Wilkinson View Post

I love the theme of Adventureland but have always been a little disappointed that it's it such a confining space in Disneyland that it's not able to expand. I would love a whole park dedicated just to Adventureland. It's very highly unlikely this would ever happen but it's my fantasy.

If by some miracle they did this I would turn the current Adventureland into an expansion of New Orleans Square -with "Tiana's Place" restaurant, the Jungle Cruise would become boat ride through the alligator infested Bayou, past an abandon Spanish fort said to be haunted by the pirates who were held there. Tarzan's treehouse would become Mama Odie's Treehouse, and Doctor Facilier's would have his "Friends on the Other Side" show. I don't what I'd do with the show building housing Indy but maybe some sort of second the Pirates of Caribbean-themed ride?
    I totally agree with you about Adventureland feeling too confined; I've always felt like it's more like Adventure Alley. I wish it was more spread out and sprawling. I like the idea of having an adventure themed park, and I know there's been a lot of speculation that the 3rd gate will have a central them tying around adventure.

I don't think removing Adventureland in Disneyland is a good idea though, or expanding New Orleans Square over it. I really dig the love you're giving The Princess and the Frog with your attraction ideas ( I LOVE that movie and believe its very under appreciated!), but all the things you mentioned, though each sound awesome, is too much dedicated to just one film. Especially one that's not overly popular. I think the only movies I would ever want to have a bunch of attractions dedicated too are Alice in Wonderland and Peter Pan.

Quote Originally Posted by SkywayScott View Post
    I've always thought Disney should build a water park
    Other people have mentioned this idea too, and if they had enough space for a proper 3rd gate and a water park I'd be all for it. Typhoon Lagoon and Blizzard Beach in WDW are both a blast and well themed. A fun, new idea/theme/style of water park for the Disneyland Resort would be awesome.