Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Thumbs up Disneyland in "Saving Mr. Banks"

I got to see "Saving Mr. Banks" in a screening today and wanted to give a quickie review.

First of all, this movie has a lot more heart in it than I was expecting. There were plenty of times that I teared up, and I know that my friend sitting next to me cried at least once. Also, I teared up when I saw the dedication at the end to Diane Disney Miller. That was very nice to see.

Disneyland is only seen for a few minutes in the movie. They did a good job making it appear to be in the 1960's. However, Disneyland fans (like me) will notice that they weren't able to recreate the pre-Fantasyland makeover look. Honestly, I'm not sure how they could have done that without it looking cheap (like having painted tarps over all the rides).

I also enjoyed how in Walt's office they had some maps and other things pertaining to the land purchase and future construction of Disneyworld. It showed the detail that the set decorator used when creating all the set.

Also, make sure you stay for the credits. There are some nice pictures and original audio recordings played then.

Overall, I was very impressed with "Saving Mr. Banks". I'm planning on seeing it again and encourage you all to go see it at least once!

Re: Disneyland in "Saving Mr. Banks"

I'm really excited to see this one! How did Tom Hanks do? Did he pull off Walt? Watching the trailer made me cringe a bit at first, I admit. Don't get me wrong... I'm a big Tom Hanks fan, but when I saw the trailer I saw more Tom Hanks then I did Walt Disney.

Quote Originally Posted by DL Lover in LA View Post
    I also enjoyed how in Walt's office they had some maps and other things pertaining to the land purchase and future construction of Disneyworld. It showed the detail that the set decorator used when creating all the set.
    Did the reproduction of his office that was in the Opera House have those maps and things? I wonder whether they used that actual set piece for the movie?

I think that Tom Hanks did a good job. It's a hard role to take on, and yes, he still seems like Tom Hanks. But I think that he captured the essence of what Walt Disney was like (or at least what he seemed to be like through videos I've seen of him).

• Under that tree again!

Thanks, very helpful review.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

• Greetings, Program!

Quote Originally Posted by DL Lover in LA View Post
    Disneyland is only seen for a few minutes in the movie. They did a good job making it appear to be in the 1960's. However, Disneyland fans (like me) will notice that they weren't able to recreate the pre-Fantasyland makeover look. Honestly, I'm not sure how they could have done that without it looking cheap (like having painted tarps over all the rides).
    Green-screen and CGI may have made it possible. Given the Disney Company's close relationship with Lucas, I'm surprised this route wasn't taken.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

^I would like to know why they didn't recreate Fantasyland as it looked during this time. At the very least they could have digitally colored the horses on King Arthur's Carrousel. The horses were still painted in different colors at that time right?

We noticed the little inaccuracies, too, in the DL scenes, but they really didn't detract at all from the story or from the heart of the film. I'm glad the film makers didn't go the CGI or high tech special effects route, since that might have been more distracting than helpful. This really is a quiet, heartfelt movie about relationships and the effects they have on people's lives. It also happens to be about the making (at least the early production) of one of the greatest films Walt made.
    To answer the above question: yes, the horses were different colors at the time depicted in the film.
    And to answer another concern stated above: Tom Hanks does a great job portraying Walt Disney. We weren't so sure we would buy it, after seeing the trailer, but he really does channel Walt's charm, warmth, and keen savvy and intelligence.

If it's only a few minutes of screen time like the original OP said, than I personally think that I can over look seeing a few rides they can't change/hide. Considering from what I seen in trailers they seemed to have worked hard on trying to make it look as close to that time period as possible.

It would be too much in my opinion on using special effects and CGI. If not done correctly, it could look cheesy, and to have it done correctly costs a lot of money. Sure Disney can afford it, but I don't think this film had a big budget.

•   
    • Minion

I am approaching this movie like I approach all movies. I treat them as entertainment and nothing more. Even when I watch movies like these example Lincoln I just enjoyed it rather than picking everything apart. I am looking forward to seeing this one and Tom's version of Walt Disney.

• Former Churro Jockey

I'm excited for this film. Tom Hanks has some kind of relationship with Disneyland that goes back to at least the late 90's when I worked there. I don't know if he's just a fan like us or what, but I saw him there once taking about 30 or so Make-A-Wish kids around the park (including backstage) and even though they had a VIP guide with them, he was the one giving the tour. When I saw him he was taking everyone backstage behind the Village Haus, and he was showing them the tower where Tinkerbell crash lands every night during the fireworks. Later on I saw him showing them where Club 33 is. So since he is a fan AND he's one of the absolute best actors in Hollywood right now, I assume he'll do a good job playing Walt.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

•   
    • Minion

When I was in Asia the past month I found a article from Tom about the movie I enjoyed it even though it was rather short. I managed to find it on the airlines website.

Interview: Tom Hanks | Cebu Smile: Inflight Magazine for Cebu Pacific Airways

Thanks for the review. I enjoy looking forward to seeing this and it's nice to know about staying to the end for additional tid bits.

• Certified in everything

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyWorld View Post
    I'm really excited to see this one! How did Tom Hanks do? Did he pull off Walt? Watching the trailer made me cringe a bit at first, I admit. Don't get me wrong... I'm a big Tom Hanks fan, but when I saw the trailer I saw more Tom Hanks then I did Walt Disney.
    Hanks still looks like himself, they went the route of not doing a lot of make up and prosthetics to change his appearance. HOWEVER, Hanks got Walt's mannerisms down remarkably well.
    Disneyland Wooooh!

"You see- Everybody's got a laughin' place, trouble is most folks won't take the time to go look for it."

• Evil is Sexy

A Featurette if you're interested.

And Tom Hank's Interview about playing Walt and the movie

Peter Pan: "You know, your hair is on fire."
    Me: "Yes. It happened after a recent trip to Neverland."
    Peter Pan: "Well, you can dunk your head in the pond behind us, if you want."

Lost Child of
    Neverland since 1996.
    ~Favorite Hero: Peter Pan. Favorite Villian:Malificent.Favorite Ride: The Haunted Mansion.~

Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast