Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Re: Candlelight Segment Permanently Cut From Show

Quote Originally Posted by WDI33 View Post
    We also lost the song Joy to the World - which immediately followed the poem. Last night's ending was abrupt with the announcer's voice cutting in right after Handel's Messiah. It effected the flow of the show and resulted in a stunted choppy ending.
    It was in the 530 show.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by dazyhill View Post
    Candelight is one of the things I want to do at DL and I have never been able to do it.
    The poem, "One Solitary Life" is beautiful but it seems better suited to an Easter service.
    Does anyone know who wrote it?
    Quote Originally Posted by dazyhill View Post
    Candelight is one of the things I want to do at DL and I have never been able to do it.
    The poem, "One Solitary Life" is beautiful but it seems better suited to an Easter service.
    Does anyone know who wrote it?
    I've seen it credited to a writer named James A. Francis. It's also the finale of the Radio City Christmas Spectacular (and so is "Joy to the World," oddly enough).

It wouldn't surprise me one bit if it was due to PC. These days Christmas trees are turning into "Holiday Trees" and Menorahs are "Holiday Candle Holders".
    DisneyTwins
    Since May 2003

Quote Originally Posted by Disshade View Post
    I know that outrage is a popular passtime for many christians, but I simply cannot see how the removal of this poem is a "PC" move when the show is entirely, completely, 100% about the birth of Jesus. As I said in another thread, it was likely due to time.

Maybe we can be outraged by the short attention span of the modern audience instead. That's valid.
    Christians hardly have a corner on outrage.

Your not so subtle dig aside, I agree that it's probably not a PC conspiracy, and even if it is...so be it. Doesn't threaten my faith at all.

It's kind of amusing how some people are just looking for signs if the supposed "War on Christmas". Yeah, Disney is trying to take out references to Jesus, but they kept all the other religious songs and the reading of the nativity story.
    Last edited by clippers6; 12-10-2013 at 11:28 AM.

• Donald's #1 Fan

Quote Originally Posted by Disneymike View Post
    ^ Unfortunately, due to the whole "PC" thing, stuff like this will continue.
    I guess someone complained. I am quite surprised and glad the CP still goes on, because I'd have assumed at this point some guest or guests could have complained that the whole thing excludes other faiths, groups, or somehow hurts their feelings.

I guess it's a matter of time, though. I can imagine someone could sue Disneyland over it ("the show caused my kid nightmares", or something like that).

Must have been a move by Disney Corp. I was at WDW candlelight last weekend and it was cut from their version also. So it wasn't because of time.

I have a hard time believing it was cut due to complaints. Candlelight isn't something people stumble into. You have to fight for one of the limited public viewing spots or (at Epcot) do a dinner package. People making the effort to see it likely aren't going to be surprised about the content. Plus the lines that replaced the poem are hardly any less religious.

It might purely be an artistic decision or a desire to slightly trim the length of the presentation.

• Minion

The word I got (from someone high enough to know) was someone up the chain in corp was personally offended, and had it cut. "Permanently" is dependent on how many people complain. It was not a time issue. I plan on voicing my displeasure.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by WDI33 View Post
    We also lost the song Joy to the World - which immediately followed the poem. Last night's ending was abrupt with the announcer's voice cutting in right after Handel's Messiah. It effected the flow of the show and resulted in a stunted choppy ending.
    I was at the Sat 530p show and the 8pm Sunday show. Both had Joy to the World. But was missing the dramatic lead up to the song. I agree it resulted in a choppiness to the show. I did note Kurt Russell seemed to pause and pook around as if to say "Anyone else notice this?"
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

I don't think that cast member on Space Mountain is "someone high enough to know."
    I wonder if people would be as outraged if another religion's holiday were so clearly showcased at Disneyland? I don't see anything wrong with making it about the Holiday. Do you know that in the early days of America many didn't celebrate Christmas because they considered it too pagan and/or too old world religion?

BTW I will at DLR when you are Malcon10t so I'll look for the puppy in the yellow cape.
    Last edited by Mark Wilkinson; 12-10-2013 at 12:59 PM.

• Former Churro Jockey

I can't believe it was a PC move. They read the nativity story from the Bible live right there in Disneyland for goodness sake! The solitary life poem is more PC then reading the Bible. You can not believe in Jesus as the Son of God and still appriciate the fact that he is easily one of the most influential people in human history. I'm honestly stunned that Disney still does this in 2013. I always assumed that it must be written into Walt's will or something otherwise they would have stopped it 15 years ago.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

The new script is actually more overtly religious than the poem.

Well considering that the first response to the OP on this thread was to blame political correctness along with a fearmongering "stuff like this will continue", I would say there is some misplaced outrage.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    Well considering that the first response to the OP on this thread was to blame political correctness along with a fearmongering "stuff like this will continue", I would say there is some misplaced outrage.
    How misplaced is it? We have all seen how companies will bend over once some watchdog group or Parents Television Council group
    gets it's underwear in a bunch. It has and will continue whether anybody likes it or not.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast