Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Re: Candlelight Segment Permanently Cut From Show

Everyone saying this was a PC cut should go watch the presentations on YouTube. There is new dialogue there in place of the poem (not sure if it is original or taken from something else). The new dialogue talks about people around the world celebrating the birth of the holy savior. It's arguably as religiously tinged if not more blatantly religious than the poem and it ties into the next song, "Joy to the World" much better. Kurt Russell's reading of it did seem a little awkward, but Blair Underwood and the Epcot celebrities did a fine job. The poem also has a line about the 19 centuries since Christ lived, which has become 20 centuries since the poem was written.

If you liked the poem and feel the show is weaker without it then by all means express your disappointment. However, don't automatically assume it is an attack on your beliefs especially when what has replaced the poem as well as the rest of the show remains firmly rooted in religious traditions.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by clippers6 View Post
    If you liked the poem and feel the show is weaker without it then by all means express your disappointment. However, don't automatically assume it is an attack on your beliefs especially when what has replaced the poem as well as the rest of the show remains firmly rooted in religious traditions.
    I never considered it an attack. I do feel the the new "version" lost the dramatic effect. The original version left you with goose bumps. That has been removed.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

If you weren't happy with the CP show this year - simple solution: Don't watch it next year! Let others enjoy it on their own terms.

Quote Originally Posted by The First Star View Post
    Yeah, but you saw the "PC" version. Maybe you should see the original show before making sweeping generalizations about how other people should feel.
    I've also read the poem. And as an atheist the entire thing should offend me by the standards of some people. It's an entertainment show about Christmas which tells the story of Christmas. If someone is offended that it is there, why doesn't the whole show offend them? If someone is offended that it is gone, why are they getting their religious nurturing from Disneyland?

I just think people should enjoy it. It's nice.

• Greetings, Program!

If people are already this upset by the PC version, the upcoming Mac version of the show should really put people on their ear.
    "The old man's gonna knock on the sky. Listen to the sound."

AP'er since 2004. Yup.....I'm one of THEM.

Quote Originally Posted by Ortizmo2000 View Post
    If people are already this upset by the PC version, the upcoming Mac version of the show should really put people on their ear.
    I hope I'll still be able to right-click.

Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    I've also read the poem. And as an atheist the entire thing should offend me by the standards of some people. It's an entertainment show about Christmas which tells the story of Christmas. If someone is offended that it is there, why doesn't the whole show offend them? If someone is offended that it is gone, why are they getting their religious nurturing from Disneyland?
    Let me explain...

When I read 'Twas the Night Before Christmas, I realize I am reading a fictional story, but I still enjoy it and appreciate its meaning. But when someone surprises me with additional commentary implying that Santa Claus is not only a real person but also the most important figure in all of humanity, it makes me feel uncomfortable.

To be honest, and to drop all metaphors, it took me out of the moment -- out of the story -- and made me think of all the blood spilled in his name over the past 2000 years.

I never would have complained to City Hall, though. It's not my place to tell someone else what to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    I just think people should enjoy it. It's nice.
    Maybe you could rephrase that as, "I enjoyed it and I'd like to think that others could, too," instead of saying that religious types "should" like the new changes or that secular-types "shouldn't" be offended.

Here's what I think. I enjoy the CP. I will enjoy it weather the poem is included or not. I have the CD of Louis Gossett, Jr. narrating from EPCOT many years ago, so I can enjoy the poem on that CD. If I see it live, and it's not exactly like my CD, that's ok. I am a Christian, but I'm not offended that they cut a small piece. Like everything else at every Disney park, it will undergo changes. Does anyone remember the outrage over the deletion of the line, "Paging Mr. Morrow, Mr. Tom Morrow" a few years ago at WDW on the Peoplemover? It's not worth getting upset over, regardless of why things were changed. The CP is still about the birth of Christ, so it's not political correctness. That's just my two cents.

• MiceChat Round-Up Crew
    • Nikon +Disneyland = :)

Blog Entries

After watching my choir perform in the Candlelight Ceremony for the first time back in the 1990's, I was genuinely surprised and impressed that Disneyland continued this tradition years after it was politically correct to do so. I'm fairly certain that this cut had absolutely nothing to do with with rights being revoked or time constraints, and more to do with guest feedback, probably after last year when they ran this show for a solid month. It might even be related to celebrity narrators passing on reading it after reading through the text. While I can understand why Disney would finally make that edit, I am deeply disappointed as One Solitary Life was such a great way to conclude the ceremony, and they've been doing it that way for years and years. I suppose the day is coming when the Ceremony will disappear altogether, but in the mean time, I'll be back again next year hoping that they won't trim more from this wonderful tradition.

Let me explain...

Maybe you could rephrase that as, "I enjoyed it and I'd like to think that others could, too," instead of saying that religious types "should" like the new changes or that secular-types "shouldn't" be offended.
    I appreciate other points of view, I just don't "get" them. I subscribe to the idea that offense is taken, not given. I think a lot of offense is chosen. That's all. If it truly bothers you, that's the way it is, I suppose :-)

Well, that's fine. But saying "I don't understand" is a lot different than implying that others' feelings aren't valid by saying "people should" feel like you do. Just sayin'.

Did One Solitary Life ever conclude the show? I always thought they read the poem, sang Joy to the World, read a passage, sang another song, and conclude the show with the narrator saying a personal message to the crowd. I've only seen the past few years so I'm not sure about the show order in the past.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234