Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Tour Ready

Sad Candlelight Segment Permanently Cut From Show

Candlelight was performed once again this weekend but the show was missing an original segment of the show: the reading of the poem "One Solitary Life". It was a beautiful piece that powerfully ended the presentation and I'm truly sad that an integral part of this amazing show was cut for no apparent reason.

One Solitary Life:
    He was born in an obscure village
    The child of a peasant woman
    He grew up in another obscure village Where he worked in a carpenter shop Until he was thirty
    Then for three years He was an itinerant preacher.

He never wrote a book
    He never held an office
    He never went to college
    He never visited a big city
    He never travelled more than two hundred miles
    From the place where he was born
    He did none of the things
    Usually associated with greatness
    He had no credentials but himself

His friends ran away
    He was turned over to his enemies
    And went through the mockery of a trial
    He was nailed to a cross between two thieves
    While dying, his executioners gambled for his clothing
    The only property he had on earth

When he was dead
    He was laid in a borrowed grave
    Through the pity of a friend

Twenty centuries have come and gone
    And today He is the central figure of the human race
    And the leader of mankind's progress
    All the armies that have ever marched
    All the navies that have ever sailed
    All the parliaments that have ever sat
    All the kings that ever reigned put together
    Have not affected the life of mankind on earth
    As powerfully as that one solitary life

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Re: Candlelight Segment Permanently Cut From Show

^ Unfortunately, due to the whole "PC" thing, stuff like this will continue.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

• Singing Drinker

The original author or their rightsholders may have withheld permission to use the poem. The show may have been running long and they cut that section. The director may have chosen to go with another option and are clearing the way for it later.

"No apparent reason" just means not one that was visible to the general public, and blaming this on "PC" ignores that the ENTIRE EVENT is bathed in Christmas, Christian trappings and generally is the least secular thing Disney does on site, period. If they pull the choir, pull the carols, pull the prayers, pull the narration and instead do an hour long rendition of "Run Run Rudolph", come back and try the PC angle again.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

• Disneyland History Lover

Strange. Could be PC, could be any of the reasons mentioned above. I wouldn't be surprised if it was a PC thing, though, given that songs like "Silent Night" and "O Come All Ye Faithful" are played in Cars Land but with different, non-religious lyrics.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by BogLurch View Post
    The original author or their rightsholders may have withheld permission to use the poem. The show may have been running long and they cut that section. The director may have chosen to go with another option and are clearing the way for it later.

"No apparent reason" just means not one that was visible to the general public, and blaming this on "PC" ignores that the ENTIRE EVENT is bathed in Christmas, Christian trappings and generally is the least secular thing Disney does on site, period. If they pull the choir, pull the carols, pull the prayers, pull the narration and instead do an hour long rendition of "Run Run Rudolph", come back and try the PC angle again.
    This. They do tinker with the show here and there, and might have run into an issue with using it this year. Since the entire show is pretty unabashedly religious I can't see "PC" factoring in here.

• Banned User

I know that outrage is a popular passtime for many christians, but I simply cannot see how the removal of this poem is a "PC" move when the show is entirely, completely, 100% about the birth of Jesus. As I said in another thread, it was likely due to time.

Maybe we can be outraged by the short attention span of the modern audience instead. That's valid.

• Blew By You

I"m kind of thinking time too. I really don't think PC was involved. PC would have cancelled the entire show. The brevity of the Nativity narrative stands as a great testament.

• Seeker of Fun

If it's PC related, then Disney should not do the show. I'm sick and tired of fake political correctness where if your on one side, everything you say is considered "intolerant". If it's just a show change, ok, I get it. But having seen this one time in my life, it truly was very powerful. And on that note, Disney shouldn't ever use the word Christmas again...ever. After all, it is supposed to be a holy day.
    Stockholder and Walt Disney Autograph holder!!

That part made me really, really uncomfortable and I'm glad to know it's gone. I've always preferred that they stick to the Christmas story and not add that commentary at the end.

• " Planet of Puddingheads"

Quote Originally Posted by Disshade View Post
    I know that outrage is a popular passtime for many christians, but I simply cannot see how the removal of this poem is a "PC" move when the show is entirely, completely, 100% about the birth of Jesus. As I said in another thread, it was likely due to time.

Maybe we can be outraged by the short attention span of the modern audience instead. That's valid.
    You really don't think it's "PC" with people feeling like this:
    The First Star said:
    That part made me really, really uncomfortable and I'm glad to know it's gone. I've always preferred that they stick to the Christmas story and not add that commentary at the end.
    “No worries, stay calm, one question. 
Do you happen to know how to fly this thing?”

My position may be difficult to understand, so let me elaborate.

When I was a kid, I believed in Santa Claus. As I got older, I started questioning things. At a certain point, and after doing some soul-searching and discussing things with my parents, I realized Santa Claus doesn't exist. (To me) He is a fictional character who may have been based on a real person who lived a long time ago, or he may have never existed at all. And if he ever did exist, he probably was just a regular guy who did great (but not magical) things.

Even though I no longer believe in Santa Claus, I still celebrate Christmas. Even though I believe Santa Claus is a fictional character, I appreciate that his story is woven into the fabric of Christmas. I like seeing images of Santa Claus around Christmas. When I decorate for Christmas, I place a Santa Claus figure in the snowy village under the Christmas tree.

I realize lots of other people believe in Santa and I like that. I don't scorn them or tell them they're wrong and I'm right. I still aim to be a good person, and treat others as I'd like to be treated, even though I no longer believe that Santa Claus is watching over me. I want to be a good person because I believe that is what is right, not because I'm afraid of getting on Santa's s---list and ending up with a lump of coal.

I still love the story of Santa Claus and all of the Christmas songs about him. They're still part of my Christmas traditions, although I recognize them as fictional allegory now. I still enjoy them and the associated feelings and memories of my childhood, even if I no longer take the words themselves literally.

When I read 'Twas the Night Before Christmas, I realize I am reading a fictional story, but I still enjoy it and appreciate its meaning. But when someone surprises me with additional commentary implying that Santa Claus is not only a real person but also the most important figure in all of humanity, it makes me feel uncomfortable.

To be honest, and to drop all metaphors, it took me out of the moment -- out of the story -- and made me think of all the blood spilled in his name over the past 2000 years.

I never would have complained to City Hall, though. It's not my place to tell someone else what to believe.

• Not the Hawkguy

I really don't think it's a PC change. If that were the case, they'd probably just cancel the whole show outright. I imagine it was more of a time reason than anything, since I can't imagine the rights holders for the poem would suddenly throw a fit over usage after all these years (although it's totally possible and stranger things have happened).

• Tour Ready

We also lost the song Joy to the World - which immediately followed the poem. Last night's ending was abrupt with the announcer's voice cutting in right after Handel's Messiah. It effected the flow of the show and resulted in a stunted choppy ending.

•   
    • Minion

The above would definitely seem to indicate that it's time related and nothing more. For all we know, they may have fully intended to keep the ending, and been pressed for time for some reason. It has also been very cold (for us) in Southern CA and the winds were horrible this past weekend. That might have factored into cutting the show short too, for the sake and safety of all involved.

Candelight is one of the things I want to do at DL and I have never been able to do it.
    The poem, "One Solitary Life" is beautiful but it seems better suited to an Easter service.
    Does anyone know who wrote it?

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast