Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

• The doctor is in

Re: Sub Lagoon closure has reopen timeframe now

So much for the permanent closure.
    I wish Frozen would have never been made.

I never thought this attraction was going to closed for good, especially with the new movie coming out. I really like that Disney taking the time to update this unique attraction. I know the last refurb was in 2007 (I believe), but they can make this attraction so much better with today's technology that I think it is worth it. I hope that they will not have to have another "big" refurbishment for a long time, maybe 10 years this time. I am also hoping they add bigger viewing windows is the subs as well. It is sometimes difficult to see out of them, especially for us tall folk. I have always enjoyed riding this attraction & hope I get to ride it when it reopens.
    Last edited by sean317; 12-15-2013 at 03:18 PM.

• Mickey icecream sammiches

Quote Originally Posted by sean317 View Post
    I never thought this attraction was going to closed, especially with the new movie coming out. I really like that Disney taking take the time to update this unique attraction. Even though it has only been since 2007, they can make this attraction so much better with today's technology. I really hope they add bigger viewing windows is the subs as well. It is sometimes difficult to see out of them, especially for us tall folk.
    I agree with you, I think they could make some good enhancements here and there to improve the ride overall. But the thing that needs the most change, in my opinion, are the submarines themselves. As you mentioned, the windows could be much better, and the interior as a whole from the seating to the paint could all use an upgrade. However I don't think any of that is going to happen. For one, none of it was mentioned in the Disney Parks Blog official announcement, and in general it would just be too much of an overhaul to essentially re-do the entire interior of the each sub...more than I see them doing when it comes to refurbishing this attraction.

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    I agree with you, I think they could make some good enhancements here and there to improve the ride overall. But the thing that needs the most change, in my opinion, are the submarines themselves. As you mentioned, the windows could be much better, and the interior as a whole from the seating to the paint could all use an upgrade. However I don't think any of that is going to happen. For one, none of it was mentioned in the Disney Parks Blog official announcement, and in general it would just be too much of an overhaul to essentially re-do the entire interior of the each sub...more than I see them doing when it comes to refurbishing this attraction.
    Yes, I would have to agree with you on the actual subs themselves. I think Disney wants to keep that "classic" sub look about them. Do you think a year is not long enough to redo each of the subs though? I know they did not mention it in the blog, but sometimes "better" news is better left until later down the line. They also did not mention anything about new scenes either, but I would guess different.

Quote Originally Posted by sean317 View Post
    Yes, I would have to agree with you on the actual subs themselves. I think Disney wants to keep that "classic" sub look about them. Do you think a year is not long enough to redo each of the subs though? I know they did not mention it in the blog, but sometimes "better" news is better left until later down the line. They also did not mention anything about new scenes either, but I would guess different.
    Personally I would think that the better part of year is more than enough time to do everything they've talked about, and fix the subs as per above. But Every damn refurb that ever takes place in the parks always takes forever. So my best guess is that they won't be doing it. Would be great if they did though!

• Under that tree again!

I'm guessing that bigger windows would ruin illusion during the ride, but may be wrong. The subs may have to stay the same length to negotiate the turns, not be made longer, and at the same time not wider because of the width between the show elements.

It is possible that new subs are being built right now, but I don't expect much.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Yeah I don't think they'd ever make bigger submarines swampy marsh, but if they could re-do the seating and make for wider, more comfortable seats, that would be cool. (How do larger guests even manage this ride?) But I know that would mean less seats per vehicle, and thus less ride capacity. Maybe they could add another sub or two to the rotation, but I don't know if that's possible with regard to proper spacing of vehicles and timing, etc.

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo Mouse View Post
    Maybe they could add another sub or two to the rotation, but I don't know if that's possible with regard to proper spacing of vehicles and timing, etc.
    I think that would be possible. With the individual windows a guest on the back doesn't see the same thing as a guest on the front. So what difference would it make if there is a tiny gap between subs.

I wonder if a separate loading station could be made on the near side of the storage docks.

The negatives I see is that would crowd the lagoon with dock infrastructures, and a chain of yellow subs.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Quote Originally Posted by swampymarsh View Post
    a chain of yellow subs.
    This is one thing I was alluding too. Looking at the lagoon as you walk by it, it would look lame if it was one submarine after another back-to-back going by. You can get away with that in Pirates, but it would look bad in the lagoon.

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Maintaining the ride vehicles as-is helps with avoiding accessibility issues.

New projectors could be installed without closing the attraction and draining the lagoon.

• Disneyland 20 year APH

Quote Originally Posted by mycroft16 View Post
    You think just because the Disney Parks Blog didn't mention their internal estimated completion date and just gave a more vague "towards the end of 2014" that they don't have a planned timeframe? You think they don't have a planned budget?
    Its sounds a lot like BTMt refurb from last year? Wait that still closed is it not?
    Check out my work on openstreetmap.org
    http://www.openstreetmap.org/?lat=33...om=17&layers=M

Weren't bigger subs that were easier to load and unload part of the original plan before they decided to just put electric motors in the old subs?

• враг народа

Blog Entries

The capacity of the ride vehicles was ever so slightly increased by adding an additional seat to each row.

I find it boring personally. I don;t want it closed because I think it's a cool ride, just maybe a little more interesting perhaps
    Janette

• I'm not really here

Quote Originally Posted by MrLiver View Post
    There's another piece of this puzzle that is missing.
    Decent chance they are plussing/upgrading things. Makes sense to not tell everyone everything in the initial announcement, otherwise what do you talk about over the length of the refurb? The parks blog has always operated on a "trickle" style of news. Give a hint, a sip, a drop slowly, bit by bit. Whatever it is, they want to tell us slowly over time, as they always do.

Our revels now are ended. These our actors, As I foretold you, were all spirits and Are melted into air, into thin air: And, like the baseless fabric of this vision, The cloud-capp'd towers, the gorgeous palaces, The solemn temples, the great globe itself, Yea, all which it inherit, shall dissolve And, like this insubstantial pageant faded, Leave not a rack behind. We are such stuff As dreams are made on, and our little life Is rounded with a sleep. mycroft16 on Twitter

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast