Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

• Disneyland AP

Thumbs down Winter Dreams...good lord, what a disaster.

So I finally got to see the show last night. WOC is, I feel, the best show the theme parks have ever produced (minus the updates for Pirates 4, Brave, etc), so I was looking forward to seeing their first attempt at a Xmas layover. God what a complete mess. The opening was very pretty, and I felt they had captured the magic of seeing the show opening day, 2 years ago, them Olaf happens. The obnoxious snowman from "Frozen" is basically the Disney version of Jar Jar Binks. Adding a host to the show, just proves Steve Davison was correct to cut Little Squirt from the original WOC. While the Bambi sequence and the choir was nice, why in the world are we watching "Frozen"? Sure, it's snow, but it's not Xmas, and the song is such a flat, generic crowd pleaser, it has no originality. Same goes for "Tangled". What does that have to do with "Winter Dreams"? sure it's a cool sequence, but save it for a possible inclusion in the original show, it doesn't fit here at all. The Toy Story Nutcracker idea was nice, but the execution was boring and too long, and then the real kicker happens: Olaf's summer song. Nothing short of embarrassing. Like seriously, who said yes to this? I don't know what the excuse is for the complete lack of care that went into this show, after the game changer that WOC was on its premiere. I thought if anything this would be at least as emotional as the original, but it's a disjointed, pointless, themeless, erratic mess. The additional lighting along Screamin was cool, but nowhere near enough to make this anything less than the biggest disappointment since Light Magic. I was wondering why there was no buzz for the show, and even the CMs weren't able to hype it up when asked about it. Now I know. I never thought I'd say this, but skip it altogether if you're heading to the parks and haven't seen the original show. It'll make you never want to see the masterpiece that they offer the rest of the year. After the original WOC and Remember fireworks, I think Steve Davison is officially burnt out creatively. Those shows are instant classics, THIS will haunt them for years...if people actually remember it happened.

Re: Winter Dreams...good lord, what a disaster.

i love it. i enjoy it more than the original
    I believe my future must be brighter than my past. Without that belief, I'm just waiting to die. --> http://www.youtube.com/theantidietsecrets

• Not the Hawkguy

I've seen it twice, the first time being during that week where the weather was awful, so the wind was making it impossible for the fountains to properly work. After the second time, I actually enjoyed the show. It's different, and obviously they wanted to push Olaf, but I didn't mind his segues between segments, and the songs were all fine.

• Mouseketeer

LD1984, Have you seen Frozen?

I've only seen Winter Dreams through youtube, but I was still amazed by it. It's restored some faith in Imagineering for me. I waited to watch it until I had seen Frozen. Before I watched the film, I hated Olaf and Sven from the teaser. I enjoyed both characters in the film. I watched Winter Dreams with all of the segues a few days later, and I loved it. Olaf works well as a host, in my opinion, but had I not seen the movie, I think the poor marketing and my initial dislike for the character would have killed the show for me.

Also, it was my understanding that Iger pulled Little Squirt from the final show a few months before opening. Davidson seemed very attached to the character at D23.
    "The way to get started is to quit talking and begin doing" -Walt Disney

• Disneyland AP

I haven't seen Frozen cause I hate CGI animation and Olaf bugs the crap out of me, and this made me not want to even more. You're correct about Squirt though, that was Iger, not Davison. But I've always supported that decision. I'm just saying, I'm glad this didn't happen to the original show if this was the direction they wanted. It takes a majestic piece and turns in into a preschooler show.

• The doctor is in

I watched Winter Dreams on YouTube and I was happy that it will be over by the time I go back to the parks. I didn't like it. Maybe if they cut Olaf it would brighten up a bit.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Minion

The sing along part in my opinion should have never been included. It shows that Disney had a deficit of imagination when it came to creating this show.

Quote Originally Posted by LD1984 View Post
    I haven't seen Frozen cause I hate CGI animation and Olaf bugs the crap out of me, and this made me not want to even more. You're correct about Squirt though, that was Iger, not Davison. But I've always supported that decision. I'm just saying, I'm glad this didn't happen to the original show if this was the direction they wanted. It takes a majestic piece and turns in into a preschooler show.
    not a fan of Pixar films?
    I believe my future must be brighter than my past. Without that belief, I'm just waiting to die. --> http://www.youtube.com/theantidietsecrets

• #bringevilback

olaf is WAY worse in WOC:WD and the previews than in the movie. I was dreading him in the movie after seeing him in those but he's actually quite cute in the movie. If they cut back on him in WOC I would like the show more, but I thought it was decent as is...

• Goofy

that and 3d cgi is overdone. nothing beats old fashion animation. cgi movies are not that great.

To each his own, I suppose. I thought the part with the choir was way too long, but I loved the rest. I saw the show last night - it was the first World of Color show I've ever seen. I'm not saying I would watch every time I went to the parks, but I'll probably check out the regular show once the holidays are over too.

• Level 7 Galactic Hero

Don't forget, it's only Year 1. It's still trying to find its rights and wrongs.
    Stopping in the middle is
    DISTINCTLY
    UNPATRIOTIC!

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Completely disagree with you. Love this new show, definitely don't see how one could say it is the worst thing since "Light Magic"... and since when is it okay to compare it to the original. They are two separate entities. I think this show fixed a lot of the issues in WOC... Especially by using a host. Especially because Olaf is one of the best characters in Frozen. As well.. there are two numbers from Frozen, with Olaf as a host.. Hardly The Frozen show....

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

• Disneyland AP

I'm not saying I "hate" Pixar, I just don't like the animation. I think nothing beats hand drawn. Have to disagree about the host though. I prefer the abstract original version to this.

• Singing Drinker

So basically it sounds like if you've seen Frozen, you like Olaf in the show. If you haven't seen frozen and Olaf annoyed you in the previews and commercials, you're going to dislike Olaf and apparently it'll be enough of a detriment that it may seriously impair your enjoyment of the show.

Methinks they hit the "Dreamworks" button a bit too hard during the Frozen buildup.
    Credibility is to be sought for. Credulity is not. Sadly the latter is our normal human state.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast