Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

• Rock Star Minion

Re: How did Disneyland make money in the 80's vs today?

Well, being diversified is a smart business move.

There are other fun stories about the Disney Brothers that I've heard from the internets:
    1. Walt wanted to make the Matterhorn. Roy said, no, too expensive. Whe Roy went on a business trip to Europe, Walt green-lighted the Matterhorn anyway, and had to explain it to Roy afterward.
    2. When the secret land-buying in Florida was exposed, causing land prices to rise, there were a few more plots of land that Walt wanted. Roy said, no, too expensive. Walt said, "You see what happened in Anaheim after we built Disneyland? All those cheap motels sprang up right next to DL, making the place look run-down." Roy then said, "Buy! Buy! Buy!"
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Under that tree again!

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    Not only was Disneyland profitable, but it and Walt Disney World were so profitable that they were able to make up for the big losses at the studio and keep Walt Disney Productions profitable.
    Yes, when DL opened it really supplied the revenue to the company constantly. The resorts became a golden goose for the company. The films came out slowly and could make a big year, but not cause a negative year, because the parks held up the profit.

In the 80s Disney became very diversified so it's very smooth income didn't go up and down on movies in a major way. Also they made movies at a faster rate and the studio can make up for itself that was the genius idea of Eisner, well really and industry trend.

However currently Disney make a few big movies and a bunch of small ones. The small movies have to be a surprise to make lots of money and the big ones can either cost the studio segment everything or make it a cash cow. The industry, it's an oligopoly, wanted to decrease supply to raise demand. Jokes on them, independent films became big, and occasional foreign films do to. The supply gap is filled.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

Didn't Walt take the company public in 1957 and later create a separate company (that became Retlaw) in order to own parts of Disneyland and then license their use to the Disney company in order to make his side of the family super rich?

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    Didn't Walt take the company public in 1957 and later create a separate company (that became Retlaw) in order to own parts of Disneyland and then license their use to the Disney company in order to make his side of the family super rich?
    Walt had several interests outside of the WDP corporate entity. The companies that were setup for Disneyland initially, that included the product development stuff that became WED. He did setup the deal to license his likeness and name back to WDP for their use... which was rather contentious considering it was a self-serving, back office deal.

I don't think I've heard a great reasoning behind the Retlaw transporation aspects.. in terms of motivation why he kept them separate.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post
    Walt had several interests outside of the WDP corporate entity. The companies that were setup for Disneyland initially, that included the product development stuff that became WED. He did setup the deal to license his likeness and name back to WDP for their use... which was rather contentious considering it was a self-serving, back office deal.

I don't think I've heard a great reasoning behind the Retlaw transporation aspects.. in terms of motivation why he kept them separate.
    The way I understand it he started the company to funnel extra money to his family, which is what Roy objected to--diverting a disproportionate amount of money away from the main company and into his and his family's pockets. According to the LA Times, that ended up being several hundred million dollars. The company owned the rights to Walt's name, it owned the engineering department (that designed the park) and it owned the monorail and steam trains. Use, then, was licensed back to the main company for a nice fee that went directly to Walt and his family. The company also got a share of all Disney movies.

My point is only that business is business. He wasn't some guy doing this for the love of kids. He also got rich off of it and did some things others disagreed with in order to line his pockets to be a bit heftier.

Yet he still was able to be a part of the "original" park everyone loves. In other words, making money and making a quality product people want are not mutually exclusive.

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by loungefly97 View Post
    Yet he still was able to be a part of the "original" park everyone loves. In other words, making money and making a quality product people want are not mutually exclusive.
    They're not. But merely "Making money" is not the goal of the current Disney Company. It is "Making the most money possible this quarter." That goal inevitably cuts in to quality.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by flynnibus View Post

I think it just came down to ensuring control. No room for interference if he owned the apartment and his other favorites.

• Rock Star Minion

Our pal Steve DeGaetano might know if there were some legal or tax benefit to having the transportation components separated from Disney.

I'm going to guess that Disney might have had to use a certain depreciation method, while a "different" company could use a different one. Letting Disney "lease" these assets allows the new depreciation method and allows Disney to reap from it in a different lease amount.

I'm no accountant, though.

It might also have protected Disney from liability issues stemming from the operation of transportation. And in this way, it would be in Retlaw's best interest to maintain the assets as best as possible.

I'm no lawyer, though.

Or, maybe he just wanted to own them in case Disneyland failed.

Disneyland made plenty of $ in the 80s with lots of promotions like State Fair, Blast To The Past, and even a Circus. Eisner shuttered several attractions in the 80s and pushed out shelf space in every way. There was enough to fund a 75 million dollar attraction called Splash Mountain.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234