Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Re: Should Frozen Replace Aladdin...one day?

Frozen could easily be adapted to Broadway. Making many of the pieces into ensemble numbers wouldn't be difficult at all. For the First Time, as an example, could easily incorporate supporting work from the castle characters. Summer, as stated in a previous post, lends itself to an expansive number with Olaf in concert with any number of warm-weather characters.

There doesn't seem to be call for much (if any) flying rigs, which could leave much more money for incredible set design and large-scale creature and puppetry effects.
    ~ Erik

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    All adaptations are to be treated as entirely new pieces. You can change any song in any way you want.
    Right, a live show version is going to feel different anyway (in many ways, including pacing). It's not unlike how "Let It Go" was changed for the new "Winter Dreams" edition of World of Color, with the grander orchestration of the end of the song (and then some) being moved up much earlier to where it's still just a piano in the movie version--one works better for the movie, which builds the whole sequence up perfectly in sync with Elsa's emotions, while the other works better for WoC.

Frozen's songs are mainly sung in relative isolation because it's such an "intimate epic," but a live stage show doesn't have to be this way throughout. It should still have "Let It Go" and "Do You Want To Build a Snowman?" to get the necessary points across, while some of the other songs can be expanded to include additional characters and sets.

Quote Originally Posted by ohmyjustin View Post
    Make dancing birds sing in Olaf's summer song or have children of the kingdom sing a verse of "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" It's not too hard to imagine some big ensemble numbers.
    Personally, I would keep the latter song the way it is because it's about Anna's loneliness, but "In Summer" and "For the First Time in Forever" are prime candidates for the ensemble or even extravaganza treatment, in addition to "Fixer Upper."

As for replacing Disney's Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular at this point, I think it's finally time. Maybe I just have a problem with some of the newer Genie actors, but they're venturing so deep into "pop culture" now that it's out of the mainstream and I can't understand literally a majority of their references anymore--they just look silly in an irritating way up there now (sorry, just being honest). I've never had this problem in the past (always thought the Genie was hilarious), and can only imagine what guests from foreign countries must think. Although the show had been fun for a long time (and no, I actually haven't seen it very often in comparison to some here--only the last couple were in rapid succession because I was showing different people around the resort), I think it's due for a replacement. Of course, its continuing popularity will probably mean that will be dragged out (from my perspective) for another decade if not longer, but one can always hope and speculate.

Yes replace Aladdin please, that carpet contraption needs to go away.

If they are going to replace Aladdin, they should really do it for more than just one day. JMHO

If Disney were to go this route, I'd prefer more Sven, less Olaf. My daughter would disagree with me though.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12