Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Senior Minion

Blog Entries

Talking Should Frozen Replace Aladdin...one day?

Hey guys I saw Frozen about a week ago and while I really have liked just about everything Disney has done since Bold (Princess and the Frog, Tangled, The Muppets and Ralph)
    Frozen I think is the first time I've seen a Disney movie and thought one...I would not mind a sequel and two this should replace the Aladdin Musical one day

It has a few great songs from "Do you want to build a snow man" "For the First time in Forever" "Fixer Upper" and "Let it Go" and they have Olaf to replace Genie as the guy who talks to the audience and makes jokes

I'm not saying do it now....I'm just suggesting in a few years when they are redo to redo the theater and give it a real lobby that Frozen would be a great fit for a 40 min show in DCA....thoughts?

• Not the Hawkguy

Re: Should Frozen Replace Aladdin...one day?

Frozen being tossed around as a replacement for Aladdin in DCA?

Same basic thread was made last week if you want to read some thoughts.

Cali <3, But You'll find me in Agrabah sometimes

Here's my HONEST opinion: I think Frozen should be the movie that earns a Broadway Musical. It's made for it! I don't like the idea of Aladdin becoming a Broadway Musical because 1. I'm pretty content with DCA's Aladdin: A Musical Spectacular. 2. I believe they already tried Aladdin on Broadway and it wasn't a total success. But I'm sure Frozen would be an AMAZING musical to see in a Broadway theater. They'd have more magnificent sets, costumes, and maybe some effects that would work GREAT in Broadway than in the Hyperion Theater. But, I will say this, I think EVERYBODY will be happy if they show Frozen in the Hyperion Theater during the Christmas season. That would be amazing!
    Princess Jasmine's trainee

It would, admittedly need some MAJOR tweaking. It's basically begging to be adapted with the more Broadway-like music, but to fit into the Hyperion would beg the question of what gets cut and what stays?

• Artistic integrity

I saw Frozen yesterday. I loved it. But lets be honest. Who saw it, and honestly can hum the songs 24 hours later .. like you can with an Ashmen/Menken or Rodgers/Hammerstien song? I can't remember one of them.

The songs in Frozen are not strong. If the song writers can create a few new songs for a stage show that are just as memorable as a Ashmen/Menken song ... then I'd love to see a new show.

And the art direction from the movie was so beautiful .. I would like to see it come to life on a stage. But if the songs are weak ... how long can it realistically last?

At least Aladdin has strong songs ... you can hum for the rest of the day .. .and tomorrow .. and the next day .. etc, etc.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    I saw Frozen yesterday. I loved it. But lets be honest. Who saw it, and honestly can hum the songs 24 hours later .. like you can with an Ashmen/Menken or Rodgers/Hammerstien song? I can't remember one of them.

The songs in Frozen are not strong. If the song writers can create a few new songs for a stage show that are just as memorable as a Ashmen/Menken song ... then I'd love to see a new show.

And the art direction from the movie was so beautiful .. I would like to see it come to life on a stage. But if the songs are weak ... how long can it realistically last?

At least Aladdin has strong songs ... you can hum for the rest of the day .. .and tomorrow .. and the next day .. etc, etc.
    I can! The songs are literally stuck in my head.

• Not the Hawkguy

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Same. They're extremely catchy songs.

• Artistic integrity

Well .. in the vast repertoire of songs for musical movies - starting from the dawn of sound in 1927, being familiar with so many musicals from Wizard of Oz to Gigi to Cabaret to Chicago... ... I have a hard time finding them "memorable." I can't remember the Snowman "summer" song .. but I remember it was darn cute! I can see that in a stage with real people. Staged like an old fashion Broadway Show.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

I really dont think it is a good fit for a musical.

Most songs are songs sung by one or two people (apart from Fixer upper)

The reason Aladdin is so good as a musical is because it has a great mix and has musical sequences such as Aladdins chase through the Bazaar and Prince Ali.

I could, and my 4-year-old nephew (a real macho little guy who adores this movie) knows all of the words to "Let It Go" and "In Summer," and can even sing them while getting the vast majority of the notes right.

The songs are different in some fundamental way and do not appear to "speak" to everybody, but this doesn't mean that a large number of people don't find them catchy, and some people may even prefer them to your examples. I personally prefer old-school show tunes from Ashman and Menken, myself, but I also love these songs, and my aforementioned nephew has taken to them like no other--he doesn't care as much for Ashman/Menken songs, but man does he love him some Frozen songs!

• Minion

The Frozen soundtrack is currently the top selling album on iTunes, even beating out Beyonce's new album. You seem to be in the minority to think the songs are weak. They're extremely popular with the public.

• Artistic integrity

Quote Originally Posted by disneylandfan95 View Post
    The Frozen soundtrack is currently the top selling album on iTunes, even beating out Beyonce's new album. You seem to be in the minority to think the songs are weak. They're extremely popular with the public.
    Perhaps if I see the film a second time perhaps they'll grow on me. For the moment .. they are no "Over the rainbow" or "Cell Block Tango - He had it coming" to me.

This is going to sound very facetious ... but is honest .. about being number one on i-tunes ... Is there really much better content to beat out Frozen for number spot, anyway? I look at the last 60 years of Pop and Rock & Roll .. and soundtracks for movie musicals ... seems we really had some great stuff between 1930 to 1960 for musicals. Been spotty since then. Rock & Roll about 1955 to 1985 .. and has taken a dive. I can't put on the radio and find much .. compared to what I was listening to in the 70s and 80s. So ... I bet it wasn't hard for Frozen to garner number one in sales ... as music in our world today ... has pettered out to a degree compared to Irving Berlin/Ashman-Menken .. and the Beatles/Michael Jackson.

Sorry .. I just didn't catch some excellent melody that just stuck out for me, in Frozen ... to a song from the Beatles or Elvis ... or Do Re Mi from the Sound of Music .. or the Trolley Song from Meet Me in St. Louis.

Perhaps good songs ... but nothing great. In the vast scheme of songs from the last 100 songs .. I didn't find them all that memorable.

If it has for others .. fine. I found them week.

But that's just me.
    MY SIGNATURE:

Quote Originally Posted by frollofan View Post
    Same here. "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" and "Let It Go" in particular.

It's impressive that it is #1 on iTunes, given Beyoncé's immense popularity.

• Queen Elsa

I also love the songs from Frozen infact I got Let It Go down by heart. I'm working on my next favorite song from the movie which is... For the First Time In Forever (The Reprice). I know for me it is a little hard to do both parts but I'm doing my best to remember the words to the song. There my 2 favorites out of them all but I do like the others exspet for A Fixer Upper. That song I didn't care for that much but the rest are great songs.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by bjmort View Post
    I really dont think it is a good fit for a musical.

Most songs are songs sung by one or two people (apart from Fixer upper)

The reason Aladdin is so good as a musical is because it has a great mix and has musical sequences such as Aladdins chase through the Bazaar and Prince Ali.
    All adaptations are to be treated as entirely new pieces. You can change any song in any way you want. Make dancing birds sing in Olaf's summer song or have children of the kingdom sing a verse of "Do You Want to Build a Snowman?" It's not too hard to imagine some big ensemble numbers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast