Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

• Resident Ghost

How does Magic+ have ANYTHING to do with what goes on a DLR?

Aren't WDW and DLR separate entities with separate budgets?

• Chief Troublemaker

Re: How does Magic+ have ANYTHING to do with what goes on a DLR?

Quote Originally Posted by Walt's Ghost View Post
    Well, I'm not an expert on the company's finances by any means, but I know where I worked the budgets for the 4 facilities were 'technically' separate, but that never stopped TPTB (the powers that be) from 'borrowing' or 'reallocating' from one to another. I'm sure it's the same with TWDC. TPTB are concerned with the financial 'health' of the entire corporation and will do what they need to do to insure that the company as a whole survives.
    "Life is not about waiting for the storm to pass, it's about learning to dance in the rain.​"

• The doctor is in

I think the general Disney Parks budget covers all theme parks regardless of location. However, I would imagine there are subdivisions within the budget that puts a specific amount of money to each park for the fiscal year. If MyMagic is as big of a disaster as MiceAge is putting it out to be it is possible that money was shifted to put more of the Disney Parks budget to WDW than any other park.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

• Heavy Breather

Well it supposedly was the cause of TDA layoffs sooo....

•   
    • Minion

I have explained how my company works but i'll do it again here for anyone who missed them. Basically we have seperate divisions at my company. They all get seperate budgets. Thing is if one division overspends on something the powers at be can halt all spending across the board. I would assume this is true across all corporations.

We had a project that costs lots of money and it failed miserablly. So what happened was they halted all other projects for one year. Then the layoffs followed. During the next years budget they restructered all budgets for all divisions. Keep in mind this could effect more than just the park projects too. Any projects that are going on backstage would be effected as well that directly relates employees.

I think it would really depending on whether or not MyMagic is considered a capital expenditure. Usually cap ex budgets are completely separate from Operating budgets. The only way that this should have an effect is if it sucks up more of its capital costs than were first allocated. If that is the case then other capital projects can either be suspended or their costs can be reduced. It is highly doubtful and would rarely happen that a cap ex budget has any effect whatsoever on operating budgets.

•   
    • Circle of Ancients

The stockholders don't care about artificial divisions.....they won't a maximum return regardless.
    Waiting for Godot Micechat.com

• Down Pluto!

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    The stockholders don't care about artificial divisions.....they won't a maximum return regardless.
    Not all stockholders. One size may fit the majority - but not all.

I am Sambo, and I endorse this signature.

• Pilot EdForceOne

Quote Originally Posted by Walt's Ghost View Post
    The idea they are separate budgets means nothing - they are both part of the same division within TWDC. The Parks and Resorts division needs to report its financials up to the parent entity.... and can move pieces around internally as it needs to make their numbers.

It's all a matter of 'distance' - the further away you are from each other in an organization, the more isolated you are from impacts from the other. But as long as you all report to the same parent.. you are never fully isolated. Distance keeps the children from stealing from each other.. but never the parent from having steal or balance across the children.

If the broadcasting portion of TWDC suddenly went into the toilet... and TWDC's numbers were in jepordy... they very well could impact the theme park divisions when Iger (the parent company) goes to JR (the division) and says 'I need you to stop all non-essential expenses for the quarter because we have to offset the issues in media'.
    Check out my blog - Coreplex: Rambling from inside the Grid

Am I evil? yes, I am
    Am I evil? I am man, yes, I am

Quote Originally Posted by sleepyjeff View Post
    Disneyland was meant to be sipped not chug-a-lugged

• враг народа

Blog Entries

They have separate budgets but are financially managed as a single unit. Same as trouble at Disney's California Adventure would not be ignored at Disneyland itself. Take a look at the last few years' worth of financial disclosures. The Company reports on the domestic parks, not Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by lazyboy97O View Post
    They have separate budgets but are financially managed as a single unit. Same as trouble at Disney's California Adventure would not be ignored at Disneyland itself. Take a look at the last few years' worth of financial disclosures. The Company reports on the domestic parks, not Disneyland Resort and Walt Disney World.
    This.
    Princess of Agrabah and Queen of Never Land

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Also, MyMagic+ was never envisioned as a Walt Disney World exclusive. It was supposed to be implemented at the Disneyland Resort, Disneyland Resort Paris and shopped to Tokyo Disney Resort, Hong Kong Disneyland and Shanghai Disneyland.

• Rock Star Minion

They have separate budgets but are financially managed as a single unit. Same as trouble at Disney's California Adventure would not be ignored at Disneyland itself.
    I don't know about that. They got away with it for 10 years or so, hiding the huge non-revenue stream of DCA in the total DL revenue. And possibly allocating too much AP revenue to DCA.
    Oh, I'm sure some people knew. And eventually Iger was told. And that is why we have RSR and CarsLand.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• враг народа

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    I don't know about that. They got away with it for 10 years or so, hiding the huge non-revenue stream of DCA in the total DL revenue. And possibly allocating too much AP revenue to DCA.
    Oh, I'm sure some people knew. And eventually Iger was told. And that is why we have RSR and CarsLand.
    Just as many now suspect trouble at Walt Disney World is hidden by having the reporting combined with Disneyland Resort numbers.

Just as many now suspect trouble at Walt Disney World is hidden by having the reporting combined with Disneyland Resort numbers.
    Anybody that visited WDW in the late 80s and has stepped inside any of the non-MK parks in the last 5 years realizes intuitively that WDW has turned into a dumpster fire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast