Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Effect of Incandescent Bulb Phase-out at DLR

I haven't been on MC in awhile, so my apologies if this has long since been addressed.

With the federal government starting a ban on the manufacture of incandescent light bulbs next year, how do you think this will affect the Resort?

From my experience, CFL and LED lighting simply do not emit the same kind of light as traditional incandescent bulbs.

Areas like Tomorrowland, I'm sure, will theme just fine with the newer lighting, but what about Main Street, and period attractions like Pirates of the Caribbean and Haunted Mansion? Will we eventually see thematic lighting as we know it begin to change, or will the technology be so good we won't be able to tell?

Re: Effect of Incandescent Bulb Phase-out at DLR

I use LED lighting in my home, and I can't tell the difference between the light they emit vs incandescent. LED's have come a long way in the last couple years, and if you buy the right kind, provide a good quality close to incandescent light.

• Indiana Scott

Good quality LED bulbs (or CFL's for that matter) will work fine for their application.
    It's the earlier or cheaper parts people have problems with. They have the poor output and color you speak of.
    The biggest problem will be with the clear bulbs they use. Those sadly will have to be replace with opaque parts.

• Behind the refurb walls..

Blog Entries

Aren't all the Midway Mania lights LED? I'm not concerned.

~ Here you leave today and enter the world of yesterday tomorrow and fantasy
    ~

If anyone is concerned about LEDs replacing incandescent bulbs and if they'll still "look" right, consider that in the last refurb of the Mark Twain (Spring of '13), all of the exterior popcorn lights on the boat were swapped out for LEDs, and it looks fantastic! And if you haven't noticed any difference in the appearance of the boat since then, well that answers your concerns
    *I am an employee of The Walt Disney Company*
    *All words above are my own and do not represent TWDC, nor do I speak on their behalf*
    *All words above conform to the Social Media policy distributed to employees; no confidential information is divulged*

• Rock Star Minion

Interesting that the Mark Twain has lights at all, if someone were to be extremely picky about theme.

You can probably get LED lights that flicker like fire.
    I'm looking into LED tubes to replace my 10 8-ft-long fluorescents in my garage. Very expensive, yet should be cost effective if they last 10 years or so.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Artistic integrity

In the last couple of years - I've noticed ... (when buying Christmas lights, and lighting for boats) ... that, along with "true white" .. there is soft white ... which creates the nice "yellow" glow. And surely .. there's got to be a manufacturer who could imitate the filament wire of old incandescent bulbs for that "old fashion" look.

The government has to realize there are movies, television shows, THEME PARKS that are Period Specific - and therefore has to be special provisions for those applications.

Imagine a period film set in 1920 ... and using LED lighting. Movies are suppose to suspend disbelief. A bit hard if movie producers and theme parks are forced to use modern lighting.
    Last edited by Tomorrowland_1967; 12-20-2013 at 03:01 PM.
    MY SIGNATURE:
    Dear Peoplemover Fans, If you want to see a new attraction that at least mimics the 1967 Peoplemover in a future Tomorrowland remodel, you need to write to the powers-that-be, and let them know. If you don't - Then the next time Tomorrowland is remodeled, you will see a land barren of any "Peoplemover" type attraction.

The tubes under the canopy at Flo's are LED and they even flicker like a real fluorescent

Some of the LED bulbs used in the overhead strings around the parks and some of the popcorn lights on Main Street do not look right (missing warmth)... but most look really good. It might depend on how much money is in the budget for lights

Downtown Disney seems to have a lot of the cheap half-wave strings of multicolored lights (for Christmas) that have that super annoying flicker.

There are other alternatives to LED that could be used as well, but LEDs are constantly being improved

Quote Originally Posted by sediment View Post
    Interesting that the Mark Twain has lights at all, if someone were to be extremely picky about theme.

You can probably get LED lights that flicker like fire.
    I'm looking into LED tubes to replace my 10 8-ft-long fluorescents in my garage. Very expensive, yet should be cost effective if they last 10 years or so.
    The led flicker bulbs commercially available are for the most part not very good. You have to build a circuit to really get the realistic random flicker look.

• Rock Star Minion

That's pretty much what I'm trying to say. You can make them do anything you want. But you do have to do the programming work. Can't just yell at them to flicker or to look like gas lighting or a background fire.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Senior Minion

It's pretty incredible how much LED's have improved and been taking over so many applications that we used to use a variety of other lamps, (The technical word for bulbs,) to achieve. Literally just a few years ago designers, architects and engineers were apprehensive about using LED lighting for interiors of buildings and now it's a relatively common practice.
    The Mickey audience is not made up of people; it has no racial, national, political, religious or social differences or affiliations; the Mickey audience is made up of parts of people, of that deathless, precious, ageless, absolutely primitive remnant of something in every world-wracked human being which makes us play with children’s toys and laugh without self-consciousness at silly things, and sing in bathtubs, and dream and believe that our babies are uniquely beautiful. You know…the Mickey in us.
    -Walt Disney

• Under that tree again!

LEDs are still far from perfect and aren't new. They are developing but still have problems to overcome. They aren't perfectly white, they still have the blue tinge, and they put off a lot of heat, and don't last long, they wear out quickly. Due to the high price and short life they aren't cost efficient.

I think the phase out and law going into effect in about 10 days has people confused. The law intends to save energy demanded to produce light. To do this they are not allowing incandescent bulbs at the common wattages, not all of the bulbs. The law also has some clauses about how lights are used. One that will have an effect on Disney is they can't leave outdoor lighting on all the time, they need to be switch on and off or use a sensor to control them.

Right now we use CFLs, they aren't perfect but are the best for ordinary lighting.
    Be Cool Stay in School!
    Next year I'm trying for a summer internship at Stark Industries.

•   
    • Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Tomorrowland_1967 View Post
    In the last couple of years - I've noticed ... (when buying Christmas lights, and lighting for boats) ... that, along with "true white" .. there is soft white ... which creates the nice "yellow" glow. And surely .. there's got to be a manufacturer who could imitate the filament wire of old incandescent bulbs for that "old fashion" look.

The government has to realize there are movies, television shows, THEME PARKS that are Period Specific - and therefore has to be special provisions for those applications.

Imagine a period film set in 1920 ... and using LED lighting. Movies are suppose to suspend disbelief. A bit hard if movie producers and theme parks are forced to use modern lighting.
    I do wonder if there's some sort of exception in the law that would allow for special use, such as set decorating. Or, as said above, if it's only going to affect the bulbs used traditionally for home/regular business lighting, and not specialty lights.

Also, the law says that you can't buy or sell them...not that you can't use the ones you already have. Since this law was actually passed in 2007 (yes, by Bush) there's been time for theme parks to buy up a healthy supply of the bulbs they need.

Having said that, since they've known about this since 2007/8, there's been a lot of time for some ingenious soul to come up with more authentic "old" looking LED or fluorescent lighting. That's probably what's been happening. If they do switch everything over to the new lighting forms it will probably mean lots less burned out lights visible on rides around the resort - and that's good news.

• The doctor is in

LED's are very widely used already. They emit a brighter light and are more efficient. I replaced my Christmas lights with LED's last year and I think they look better than the old ones.

The problems I have are with the CFL bulbs. They bug my eyes and take too long to brighten up. I'm sure for areas that are constantly lit no matter what time of day that CFL's are beneficial and fairly efficient, but for short-term lighting and nighttime effects LED's are the way to go.
    Please... put Guardians of the Galaxy in Tomorrowland.

The tone here suggests that incandescents are being completely outlawed. I don't think that's true. First, it's the 100 watt bulb, then the 75, eventually down to 25, but I don't think there's any mandates to eliminate refrigerator/appliance bulbs, specialty small bulbs (such as Main St) and stage lighting. Certain applications require certain light.
    Please consider the environment before printing useless emails

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast