Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 16 to 30 of 43

Thread: Park Capacity?

  1. #16

    • Indiana Scott
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bothell Wa.
    Posts
    1,884

    Re: Park Capacity?

    Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDisney View Post
    As a Disney cast member I wish I could say more but capacity of Disneyland is definitely not anywhere near 80,000! The park would be completely terrible and absolutely unmanageable with that many people. Capacity and daily attendance numbers are very different...
    As I indicated, those ARE NOT attendance numbers, they are the number of people in the park at any given time.
    Feel free to do some research on the internet but everything I find points towards 85K being the number. Still more sites quote 80K as the number where DLR stops selling tickets.
    Personally I have been there on an avg day and on a super busy day and I can easily see double the number of people.

  2. #17

    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    6 hours from the House of Mouse
    Posts
    3,615

    Re: Park Capacity?

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    A quick Google search shows sources like Fire Marshall's and DL staff suggesting 75~85000 in the park at any given time is max capacity. I found no other repeatable anecdotal evidence to support any other number.
    Feel free to share your search results.
    You won't find the number on any website, as Disney only publishes attendance records. Talk to the Fire Marshal. They are on site.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

  3. #18

    • Disneyland CM
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Disneyland, USA
    Posts
    112

    Re: Park Capacity?

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    As I indicated, those ARE NOT attendance numbers, they are the number of people in the park at any given time.
    Feel free to do some research on the internet but everything I find points towards 85K being the number. Still more sites quote 80K as the number where DLR stops selling tickets.
    Personally I have been there on an avg day and on a super busy day and I can easily see double the number of people.
    I know your saying what the internet claims they are but that is incorrect because I know in fact what they are. I know it seems like there are way more people there on busy days but it's truly less than you would realize. I was surprised at first when I learned. Park capacity and daily attendance are very different numbers as any other posters stated. I can tell you Disneyland Park doesn't hold 80,000 people, it just simply doesn't, no way.
    The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies

  4. #19

    • Indiana Scott
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bothell Wa.
    Posts
    1,884

    Re: Park Capacity?

    Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDisney View Post
    I know your saying what the internet claims they are but that is incorrect because I know in fact what they are. I know it seems like there are way more people there on busy days but it's truly less than you would realize. I was surprised at first when I learned. Park capacity and daily attendance are very different numbers as any other posters stated. I can tell you Disneyland Park doesn't hold 80,000 people, it just simply doesn't, no way.
    There would only be a handful of managers at DLR that know actual numbers as Disney keeps these statistics closely guarded. Are you now saying that you as a cast member in the park are privy to knowing the actual numbers?
    So far I haven't seen anything to suggest a number as small as 50K and given the occupancy of the hotels and the number of parking places, they don't support that number either.
    At any rate it would be subjective to walk around DL and guess accurately how many people are present.
    I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.
    Last edited by ScottG; 12-22-2013 at 08:16 PM.

  5. #20

    • Nerd
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Posts
    2,364

    Re: Park Capacity?

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    A quick Google search shows sources like Fire Marshall's and DL staff suggesting 75~85000 in the park at any given time is max capacity. I found no other repeatable anecdotal evidence to support any other number.
    Feel free to share your search results.
    This would be split between both parks on a heavy day.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror



    Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

  6. #21

    • Indiana Scott
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bothell Wa.
    Posts
    1,884

    Re: Park Capacity?

    Quote Originally Posted by CMHusband View Post
    This would be split between both parks on a heavy day.
    No, the articles were very clear, numbers were for DL only.

  7. #22

    • Nerd
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Huntington Beach, CA
    Posts
    2,364

    Re: Park Capacity?

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    No, the articles were very clear, numbers were for DL only.
    there is a LOT of incorrect information regarding attendance/capacity since Disney does not publish the numbers. All I am able to say is trust me on this one.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror



    Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

  8. #23

    • Disneyland CM
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Aug 2008
    Location
    Disneyland, USA
    Posts
    112

    Re: Park Capacity?

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    There would only be a handful of managers at DLR that know actual numbers as Disney keeps these statistics closely guarded. Are you now saying that you as a cast member in the park are privy to knowing the actual numbers?
    So far I haven't seen anything to suggest a number as small as 50K and given the occupancy of the hotels and the number of parking places, they don't support that number either.
    At any rate it would be subjective to walk around DL and guess accurately how many people are present.
    I think we'll just have to agree to disagree.
    I am not trying to make this into an argument, but honestly you don't know what my role is with the company. More managers than you think know these numbers. Regular email updates go out with daily attendance numbers to certain areas. You can believe what you want, just trying to give my insight as much as possible.
    The views and opinions expressed on this post are mine and do not necessarily represent or reflect those of The Walt Disney Company and Affiliated Companies

  9. #24

    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    6 hours from the House of Mouse
    Posts
    3,615

    Re: Park Capacity?

    Quote Originally Posted by DonaldDisney View Post
    I am not trying to make this into an argument, but honestly you don't know what my role is with the company. More managers than you think know these numbers. Regular email updates go out with daily attendance numbers to certain areas. You can believe what you want, just trying to give my insight as much as possible.
    Agreed. I know on NYE, ATTENDANCE is frequently in the 86-87K range, but I also know CAPACITY is in the 57-58K range. Attendance is usually easy to find out, as most CMs hear the attendance numbers, capacity is a little more guarded. But, if you talk to the right people, even non-Disney people can find it out. But if Scott wants to continue to think it is 80+K, well, it is his business.

    I'm figuring BTMRR being down is probably lowering capacity by about 500.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

  10. #25

    • Minion
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Location
    Fullerton, CA
    Posts
    1,011

    Re: Park Capacity?

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    There would only be a handful of managers at DLR that know actual numbers as Disney keeps these statistics closely guarded.
    Not really. All entry level managers, even management trainees, have those stats sent to their email every half hour. And there's a desktop computer App available to managers that gives them the exact numbers updated every minute, with breakdowns of total attendance, AP attendance, comp ticket attendance, park crossover attendance, and in-park attendance.

    And those numbers are spoken of quite openly to hourly supervisors (Leads) and updated regularly by lower management as needs arise. The forecasted attendance numbers for the day are noted prominently on white boards backstage visible to any hourly CM, and the attendance numbers are also used frequently by hourly CM's doing the day-of scheduling. Go into the Haunted Mansion CM service area and the daily attendance forecast is written on the board there daily; any entry-level CM can see it. And if the attendance forecast gets revised up or down in early afternoon, as it sometimes does, the revised figure is posted on those backstage areas.

    It's not the big secret everyone seems to think it is. You just have to be a CM and be in the right role to be told those numbers daily and/or hourly. On a slow weekday in the off-season, no one really cares or talks about attendance (unless it goes very low due to rain). But in the very busy seasons, like this upcoming week, the in-park and total attendance figures for the day is a topic spoken of routinely and openly amongst many CM's with their salaried managers.

    And I'll say it again... the current capacity of Disneyland is in the very low 50,000's. By the time the in-park number approaches 48,000 or so a phased closure has already begun at the main entrance, with various communication to guests already starting an hour or so beforehand at parking toll booths and/or automated road signs around the Resort District (Those "Disneyland is Full" road signs you'll see again in a few days).

    The highest in-park number Disneyland got last Christmas was right around 51,000 in late afternoon. And the total attendance for a day like that was 75,000 or so.

    But go ahead and keep Googling stuff if you don't believe us.
    Last edited by Westsider; 12-23-2013 at 04:08 AM.

  11. #26

    • Indiana Scott
    • Offline

    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Bothell Wa.
    Posts
    1,884

    Re: Park Capacity?

    I have no interest in arguing about it either. I simply posted all the info I could find.
    If someone has found different info on line I'd be happy to read it.

  12. #27

    • Minion
    • Online

    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Location
    6 hours from the House of Mouse
    Posts
    3,615

    Re: Park Capacity?

    Quote Originally Posted by ScottG View Post
    I have no interest in arguing about it either. I simply posted all the info I could find.
    If someone has found different info on line I'd be happy to read it.
    I won't find it on line. I will get it from someone more reliable in person. We got to know our source a few years back during a family emergency on NYE and had to go way up the chain for help. We also met two of the fire marshals that day and learned a lot about the process and numbers. I too had thought the number was higher, but learned a lot that day about capacity vs attendance.

    Also, for those concerned, you can ask a lead at the gate what phase of closure they are at on any given day before you head out.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

  13. #28

    • 8300
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Burbank, Ca
    Posts
    422

    Re: Park Capacity?

    I will say the 86,000 I got is from a friend who used to be a manager.

    The park "sells out" at that number. If someone buys a ticket for the park they can go in (hypothetically). If Universal can fit 40,000 people in the park at once (it will happen this, or next week), DL can EASILY fit 86,000.
    Disneyland and Haunted Mansion fan boy!

    Universal Studios Hollywood Employee

  14. #29

    • Member
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Dec 2013
    Posts
    72

    Re: Park Capacity?

    as a past CM, I promise you ATTENDANCE numbers can get up to the mid 80k's. CAPACITY is most definitely in the mid 50k's for DLR, and something like 36k for DCA.

    This is something that we discussed DAILY before our shifts.

  15. #30

    • Wishing upon a star....
    • Offline

    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Location
    Not near Disneyland, Utah
    Posts
    301

    Re: Park Capacity?

    When we talk about the phases, does that mean they would turn away a person at the gate with a single day ticket and if an annual pass holder was behind them in line, let them in. Does that mean they would turn people away if they did not have a hand stamp? So some people wait in line when it is capacity and they will be rejected while others get back in? Just wondering how this is handled because I see that would be a customer service nightmare.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 05-16-2007, 01:22 AM
  2. Park Capacity (merged)
    By cruise in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 11-16-2005, 04:15 PM
  3. Park Capacity (merged)
    By cruise in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-14-2005, 07:53 PM
  4. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 09-05-2005, 11:05 PM
  5. What is the maximun capacity of Disneyland Park?
    By Barbaraann in forum Disneyland Resort
    Replies: 14
    Last Post: 04-10-2005, 02:24 PM

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •