Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Park Capacity?

• Hooterville, USA

Re: Park Capacity?

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    You won't find the number on any website, as Disney only publishes attendance records. Talk to the Fire Marshal. They are on site.
    This.

This has been a Filmways presentation dahling.

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf75 View Post
    When we talk about the phases, does that mean they would turn away a person at the gate with a single day ticket and if an annual pass holder was behind them in line, let them in. Does that mean they would turn people away if they did not have a hand stamp? So some people wait in line when it is capacity and they will be rejected while others get back in? Just wondering how this is handled because I see that would be a customer service nightmare.

You kind of got the idea...Basically as the park nears capacity the front gate has different phases to help control crowds, as Malcon10t outlined. Basically if they are nearing full capacity they may stop selling tickets or even restrict new entries.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Gandalf75 View Post
    When we talk about the phases, does that mean they would turn away a person at the gate with a single day ticket and if an annual pass holder was behind them in line, let them in. Does that mean they would turn people away if they did not have a hand stamp? So some people wait in line when it is capacity and they will be rejected while others get back in? Just wondering how this is handled because I see that would be a customer service nightmare.
    The first step towards closure is they stop SELLING 1 day, then all park hoppers (They will keep selling APs.) If you have a 1 day ticket in hand, you can get in, they just won't sell you one.

Then they do go to handstamp returns only. They will rope off areas and you have to have your hand stamp to enter. If you have not been in the park, and do not have a hand stamp, they will turn you away. Once the park hard closes, no one gets in until enough people exit.
    If you see a cute yellow lab puppy with a yellow cape, WAVE! It might be us! (Or it may be someone else that lurks here!) Thank you for asking before you pet! Next trip, Dec 22-Jan 3rd.

• Rock Star Minion

I think a lot of capacity numbers on the internet might be old, say, pre-Tomorrowland '98.

With AP Program, it's easy to get high attendance numbers without being at capacity. Some of those folks will show up at 10PM, stay for a few hours, then leave.

So, to answer the OP's question, probably about 10 days a year. And you're going right at that time. Pray for rain: That will keep the locals away.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

• Former Churro Jockey

Well, I can tell you that the estimated daily attendance was something that was posted and talked about a lot in my department, because everyone always wanted to go home early, and if the attendance was low, then managers would allow CM's to go home before the end of their shift (unpaid of course). They even kept an "ER" list (early release) that people could sign up on every day, and then if the daily attendance was low enough, they would start releasing people to go home that day. I remember the figures being much lower then what is being posted on here. However, I never did hear any kind of maximum occupancy number. I do recall that I had to work the final Saturday before the Electrical Parade went away forever and they told us that it was the busiest day in Disneyland's history up to that point, but I didn't hear what the actual attendance number was nor whether they had to close the park or not. So I'm going to say no one knows and anyone that does know would not post it on here because they'd either lose their job if they were a current employee, or risk being placed on a permanant no-hire status if they are a former employee and ever want to have the option to work at Disney again.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Rock Star Minion

They were closing the entrances to the park on MSEP's final days. A bunch of family went down, and found out they weren't letting anyone in, so we just went to Tony Roma's for dinner.
    "Here You Leave the World of California Today and Enter the World of, um, er, California Today."

Talking to cast member at Indy on Christmas about it, he said capacity is based on what attractions are opened or closed, because they take certain numbers "off the street" at a given time. He seemed to think if all attractions were open , number in the 92000 to 95000 range, but a attraction like Indy takes 7000 to 9000 away at a given time.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    I do recall that I had to work the final Saturday before the Electrical Parade went away forever and they told us that it was the busiest day in Disneyland's history up to that point, but I didn't hear what the actual attendance number was nor whether they had to close the park or not. So I'm going to say no one knows and anyone that does know would not post it on here because they'd either lose their job if they were a current employee, or risk being placed on a permanant no-hire status if they are a former employee and ever want to have the option to work at Disney again.
    Why would that happen?

• Former Churro Jockey

Because we all had to sign all of these papers when we hired in and one of them talked about never disclosing certain things about Disneyland. I was 19 and it was 17 years ago so I don't remember anything that the paper said but I think it's a safe bet that numbers like attendance and profits and profit margins were on there.
    Disneyland Cast Member
    Outdoor Vending
    1996 - 1999

My interview with MiceAge about working at Disneyland:
    http://micechat.com/blogs/mouth-of-t...ding-crew.html

• Rock Star Minion

Quote Originally Posted by passholder View Post
    Talking to cast member at Indy on Christmas about it, he said capacity is based on what attractions are opened or closed, because they take certain numbers "off the street" at a given time. He seemed to think if all attractions were open , number in the 92000 to 95000 range, but a attraction like Indy takes 7000 to 9000 away at a given time.
    Well, only if FastPass isn't being used. Otherwise it's a big empty cave.

• Minion

Quote Originally Posted by Big D View Post
    Because we all had to sign all of these papers when we hired in and one of them talked about never disclosing certain things about Disneyland. I was 19 and it was 17 years ago so I don't remember anything that the paper said but I think it's a safe bet that numbers like attendance and profits and profit margins were on there.
    I seriously doubt that the park capacity limit would even be in an NDA.

• Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by whoever View Post
    I seriously doubt that the park capacity limit would even be in an NDA.
    everything is.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

• Nerd

Quote Originally Posted by Malcon10t View Post
    Level 1 - Every one is good.
    Level 2- Stop selling 1 day tix.
    Level 3- Stop selling multi day hoppers (they will sell APs.)
    Level 4 - No new entries, only readmits with handstamps.
    Level 5 - Park closed, no one gets in.
    Typically, Disneyland fills up first. so really the first step is trying to re-direct folks over to DCA as a solution until DL opens up.
    Hidden Mickey - Tower of Terror

Hidden Mickey's here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup...7623565921220/
    Check out my Wal't Apartment tour here: http://www.flickr.com/photos/whatzup/sets/72157625183415995/

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123